2nd hand guns

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

2nd hand guns

Post by archer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:20 am

hey,

pardon my ignorance, a silly doubt. when a dealer claims that a gun is new, how does one validate that or ....we find out who the previous owners are. whats the right way to find out how old the gun is.....

regards

Parag

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:53 am

archer";p="44864 wrote: hey,

pardon my ignorance, a silly doubt. when a dealer claims that a gun is new, how does one validate that or ....we find out who the previous owners are. whats the right way to find out how old the gun is.....

regards

Parag
Since the import on guns was banned between 1985-86 there are NO NEW guns being sold in India. It can be "like new" but it will NOT be new. To validate the fact that is a "first resale" you can ask the dealer to produce a copy of the original owners license. If he was the initial importer, it would be clearly evident from the entries on his/ her license.

Honestly somethings are overrated - for example the condition of the original finish etc. can push up the price exponentially, almost all dealers will charge you a premium on top of that if it comes with the original box/ packing. Well, I'm not the kind of person who would throw away an extra 5 grand just for an ordinary cardboard box!!! :roll: The way I see it, given the current scenario (& prices) the piece should be in good working order, and if you can get a discount for worn of bluing etc. - all the better! Bluing does not make a gun function any better or worse. Of course a poorly maintained firearm can be an indication of hidden problems, but that is something that can be easily checked..

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: 2nd hand guns

Post by art_collector » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:53 am

Honesty pays, but it don't seem to pay enough to suit some people. ~Frank McKinney

Try looking at things from a dealers point of view...........and you will get the real picture. Nothing which a dealer is saying "IS NEW" can be new . What you might get can be JUST LIKE NEW. Imports stopped ages back. The only firearms that you might find NEW are the ones auctioned by STC 3-4 years back .

Firearms can be made to look just like new. Most firearms you find have been to a gun smith. Have been opened,repaired, reblued,may be even the names have been re written. May be less than 1% of the firearms that you find in the market may be Just Like New.

AC

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:37 am

This is coming straight from the horse's mouth ! :twisted:

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:55 am

Olly";p="44877 wrote:This is coming straight from the horse's mouth ! :twisted:
ROTFL
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:12 pm

I did see a Winchester model 70 in Kanpur _ Asian Arms Company in an original box. It was a 30-06.

Again in Tahir arms in Bombay a few years ago he had a Remington model 700, 30-06 rifle ( 3 shot mag ) in its original box.

Some unused rifles / guns do crop up from time to time.