.22lr and .17 Mach 2 Machine guns

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

.22lr and .17 Mach 2 Machine guns

Post by Grumpy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:08 am

These really are fun.......especially the .22 lr with its 500 round magazine !
Check out the video clips :

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:30 am

Fun alright.Just a thought, how long do you reckon the barrels will last?

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: .22lr and .17 Mach 2 Machine guns

Post by Grumpy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:56 am

I have no idea. It`s reckoned that a .22 lr match barrel will last 20,000 rounds before the accuracy starts to tail off ....... that`s only 40 magazines full ! The accuracy going off a little is hardly going to be of consequence in this thing........and a match barrel doesn`t blast out 500 rounds in a few seconds.
I`ve been wondering about bullet lube which really clags up the rifling in .22 rifles if the barrel isn`t regularly cleaned but I suppose the barrel gets hot enough to vapourise the lube and blow it out.
Loads of imponderables.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:47 pm

Somehow I thought that there would be a rather more enthusiastic response to these two video clips...........but no - sometimes you lot can be a hard bunch to please ! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:26 pm

Grumpy";p="25361 wrote:Somehow I thought that there would be a rather more enthusiastic response to these two video clips...........but no - sometimes you lot can be a hard bunch to please ! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The 180 is still around? Thought it fizzled out in the late eighties.... now a 500 round magazine! That would take most Indians 10 years of 50shots per annum to fill her up!

Anyway, why bother with match barrels when you have 500 shots to make up for poor accuracy or marksmanship :) .... simply lug a big fat bull barrel of the toughest material around and keep those 500's going...

Looks like pure fun, nevertheless- as long as its not KF amm0

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:41 pm

"The 180 is still around? Thought it fizzled out in the late eighties.... now a 500 round magazine! That would take most Indians 10 years of 50shots per annum to fill her up! "

I`m almost ashamed to say that I buy 500 or 1,000 .22 lrs at a time.......and can easily get rid of a couple of hundred in an afternoon just plinking and messing around.

Yes, someone makes the point that the .22 lr machine gun is an American Arms M2. How much it has to do with the American 180 - if anything - is open to question because the receiver of the gun shown in the video clip is very different from that of the American 180.....even allowing for the machining necessary to accomodate the 500 round magazine.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:51 am

Grumpy";p="25368 wrote: I buy 500 or 1,000 .22 lrs at a time.......and can easily get rid of a couple of hundred in an afternoon just plinking and messing around.
Makes me jealous Grumps.Everytime I want to do some plinking I'll have to wait for a weekend and go to the range on the outskirts of the city where I'm given a measly 30 rounds.And once I do start shooting, I'll have someone tapping my shoulder and saying-"can you hurry up, I've been waiting for sometime now"...

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:15 am

Pran";p="25380 wrote:
Grumpy";p="25368 wrote: I buy 500 or 1,000 .22 lrs at a time.......and can easily get rid of a couple of hundred in an afternoon just plinking and messing around.
Makes me jealous Grumps.Everytime I want to do some plinking I'll have to wait for a weekend and go to the range on the outskirts of the city where I'm given a measly 30 rounds.And once I do start shooting, I'll have someone tapping my shoulder and saying-"can you hurry up, I've been waiting for sometime now"...

Pran
Well... we don't even have that here... so any practice means a visit to a secluded spot outside town and maybe pop of at the most 20 shots or so... need to hoard the rest of the ammo for a rainy day....ummm well... not exactly a rainy day if its KF ammo...!

Damn if you are given 50 per annum... you usually can't purchase more that 25 at a time... Yaaaargh!

So most of the wear and tear of firearms owned by most Indians would be due to dry firing,cycling and of course, poor storage and care...less so by actual firing I would assume :)

Grumps,
Missed out the subtle...rather major differences in the two. Thanks for pointing it out. Looks mighty fun though!

If its a .22LR machine gun that I'd choose(If it were ever allowed!) it would be the LM7... :) Then I can relive my one handed belt fed Rambo fantasies against paper, bottles and cans :)

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:31 am

CC,
I'm finding solace in your misery :mrgreen:
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:35 am

Pran";p="25382 wrote:CC,
I'm finding solace in your misery :mrgreen:
Wait till I make my return to Bangalore.... :twisted:

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:06 pm

[quote="Grumpy";p="25368"]"The 180 is still around? Thought it fizzled out in the late eighties.... now a 500 round magazine! That would take most Indians 10 years of 50shots per annum to fill her up! "

I couldn't see it at work and so went home and took a look. You tube has loads of shooting stuff. Have you seen the guy who shoots skeet with a .22? Loads of trik shooting stuff.

"I`m almost ashamed to say that I buy 500 or 1,000 .22 lrs at a time.......and can easily get rid of a couple of hundred in an afternoon just plinking and messing around."
Show off :lol:

So can I Grumpy but the problem is all I can afford is KF. Imagine Stingers being almost a dollar per round at our gun shops. But my 22 is twenty years old so I won't take the risk of blasting high vel rounds anyway, the KF's suit it fine so what's a few jams at this price? By the way have you ever shot a kf round? I just wanted to know after how many you'd recco a cleaning. Normally I clean as soon as I finish shooting.

Did you know some guys can import ten thousand rounds at a time? Jeez, a gun shop owner in Sydney remarked that if my brother had got the required permits they could sell me kilos of .22lr. But then bro would come as close to a gun as another hole in the head. ;-)

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:53 pm

I just wanted to know after how many you'd recco a cleaning.
You will need to find out the number for your own barrel-ammo combo.

Clean the bore thoroughly and then keep a note of how many shots you have fired before the groups begin to open up again.

I think Grumpy may advocate cleaning the bore soon after you end your shooting session. I on the other hand belong to the school of thought that do not clean an airgun or .22lr rimfire bore unil the groups start opening and I am no slouch when it comes to gun maintenance.

Ofcourse, with KF ammo it may be advisable to clean after shooting as their priming compound has a reputation of being corrosive...allegedly.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:48 pm

No, I`m with you Dodger on how often a .22 or .17HMR should have the barrel cleaned - although just before the groups start to open is correct to my way of thinking. I don`t need a shot that gives a bunny a haircut rather than dropping it properly - you soon learn after how many shots you should clean the barrel. The cleaning interval depends on the ammo/rifle being used but is generally after around 450 rounds.
.17 HMRs tend to need cleaning much more frequently when new - after as few as 10-15 shots in some cases - because they start to squirt all over the place. After somewhere between 150-500 shots they settle down and then need cleaning much less frequently - about every 120-150 shots is quite usual.
I`ve seen old .22 lr club rifles - invariably BSA Martinis - which were last cleaned sometime around the time of the Roman invasion of Britain ( ! ) and whose barrels looked like smooth bores because the rifling was completely clagged with lead and lube. I tried one of those once and it still grouped around 4" @ 100 yards ..... although the bullets were sprayed all over that 4" area. With the barrel cleaned the groups improved to better than 2". I have one BSA 12/15 Martini here that will shoot 1 1/4" 100 yard groups even though it is very well used.
I`ve never used KF .22 rimfire. Misfires are a very rare event.........the last time I had a `misfire` was back when I shot .22lr pistol and was using something cheap ........ - Magtechs I seem to remember - which launched a couple that went off with a very quiet report and didn`t hit the target @ 25 metres. I disposed of the rest of the box as I didn`t want the hassle of having one jam halfway down the barrel. Come to think of it, one DID get jammed down the barrel - I just removed the bullet from another cartridge and used the `blank` to pop the jammed bullet out of the barrel.
I can`t use hyper-velocity ammo in my Marlin 70PSS Stainless `Papoose`:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... 70PSS.aspx but that`s no hassle because all but CCIs `Velocitor` have run out of steam by 100 yards. I use Eley Subsonics most of the time or their HV solid which has more energy at 100 yards than any other .22 lr. In my CZ .17 HMR I used Hornady ammunition - usually the 20 gr XTP but sometimes the 17 gr V-Max - depending on the backdrop and whether the bunnies are for the pot or not. I tried one box of Remington .17 HMR but the CZ seemed not to be quite so accurate wth them............but that might have been my imagination.
Last edited by Grumpy on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:38 pm

Ofcourse, with KF ammo it may be advisable to clean after shooting as their priming compound has a reputation of being corrosive...allegedly.

Mack The Knife
[/quote]

Thanks Mack The Knife, I normally clean up after twenty five rounds and when I was younger and more fanatical even after two shots. The funny part is the writing on the KF pack that talks about progressive non-corrosive powder being used ;-).
Saw a new pack recently and they have actually cleaned the bullets a bit the casing actually looks neat and clean, the lube doesn't look like turtle go any more.

Dev

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:46 pm

I can`t use hyper-velocity ammo in my Marlin 70PSS Stainless `Papoose`:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... 70PSS.aspx but that`s no hassle because all but CCIs `Velocitor` have run out of steam by 100 yards. I use Eley Subsonics most of the time or their HV solid which has more energy at 100 yards than any other .22 lr. In my CZ .17 HMR I used Hornady ammunition - usually the 20 gr XTP but sometimes the 17 gr V-Max - depending on the backdrop and whether the bunnies are for the pot or not. I tried one box of Remington .17 HMR but the CZ seemed not to be quite so accurate wth them............but that might have been my imagination.[/quote]

Hi Grumpy,

Even I have eased off the cci stinger now. But you know my rifle came with a hundred CCI Mini mags, it is more or less the same platform- the model 60. After the 100 rounds(mini mags) I began to shoot KF and I just couldn't hit anything with it. Then after a while I rezeroed with the KF and now I use it with iron sights.
the funny part is that after the mini mags the buffer cracked, I replaced it a year later with lotsa help from a friend.

But I used to adore the CCI stinger, it is one humdinger of a cartridge, almost magnum like performance would you say Grumpy?

I love the reviews on the velocitor and the small game bullet from CCI. I wish i could lay my hands on a few boxes.

Regards,

Dev

Post edited. Are you loosing your marbles, Dev? - Mack The Knife