Day out at the Range

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Day out at the Range

Post by Olly » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:22 pm

After initiation by Dev, finally a trip to Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range at Tughlakabad, Delhi materialized on Saturday. Our buddy Sanjay too joined in the outing. The arsenal was Dev’s Marlin .22 with CCI Stinger ammo and Sanjay’s Baikal DBBL with loads of Astrams, KFs, etc.

First an enquiry was made for membership. For the benefit of members of IFG, here are the requirements :
> 3 passport sized photographs
> Residence proof
> Medical certificate from a MBBS doctor certifying that your upper storey is sane and working fine and the muscles, bones and other organs too are well oiled, healthy and coordinating well with each other ! :)
> A copy of the license might also be asked for.
> Demand Draft for Rs. 1500/- (@ Rs. 500 pm for three months minimum) + Rs. 70/- as Admn. Charges, payable to Secretary, Sports Authority of India.
Saturday and Sunday there is no administrative staff. Monday is the range holiday.

Well, the range itself is quite impressive and vast. Nice place for walking / jogging if not shooting, with plenty of fresh air. The ruins of the Tughlakabad Fort are in the backdrop and make for a serene view.

Being a Saturday, there was no possibility of getting forms etc. However Dev and I strolled over to the Trap and Skeet ranges to see some action. Well there was plenty of action … a camp for selection of a shooting team was underway. Lots of Pirazzi’s and Berettas…

Sanjay joined us at this point and took the initiative to enquire around for some possibility for us firing a shot or two, instead of standing there and joining ranks with monkeys, watching the shooters fire away at the clays….Very soon we were in business…{how? please do ask Sanjay, for he went alone}… proudly taking out our guns and ammo… The range guys quickly set up a big iron sheet board for us to hit on.

Sanjay shot the Baikal with various kinds of ammo he was carrying. Dev and I too joined in and taking in kick after kick of the explosive recoil ! Our booms were creating enough noise to announce that we were using heavy ammo and heads were turning our way from as much as 60-70 meters away !

Dev’s Marlin .22 was great fun to shoot and purred like a cat in comparison to the monstrous 12 bore rounds of the Baikal. The Marlin performed very well especially since it was fitted with a scope. A neel gai with his family too stopped by to enquire about the fuss we were creating, peeping in from the bushes in the direction of our fire. The guards dutifully asked us to stop firing to let them pass…

It was a great fun filled day with lots of adrenaline rush and bruised shoulders. Sanjay’s shoulder was red with lesions !! He was too shy to let me take a pic of the mess…

Here are a couple of pics…

For Advertising mail webmaster
Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:23 pm

Hey, i can't post the pics... Abhijeet, pls help.. emailing them to you...

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:45 pm

Posting the pix -

Dev in action with his Marlin .22

Our "Jolly Olly" with the Marlin .22 ;)

Sanjay checking the "pattern" of his Baikal SxS

All the shooting seems to be taking place at the 4th station of Skeet Range No. 2

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Day out at the Range

Post by Pran » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:24 pm

Thanks for the write up, 'Olly'.

>Saturday and Sunday there is no administrative staff. Monday is the range holiday.

The range is open 6 days a week? Are you guys charged to use the range every time you visit or is it included in the monthly sub.scription?

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:51 pm

The weather was great,the range beautiful,infrastructure very good and the staff helpful :wink:

We were at the skeet range,trying to break in & pattern the Baikal and plinking with Marlin,which is a

pleasure to shoot :)

The 12 G ammo used was KF's Nos 9,7 & 4,Astram's no1 and a couple of Federal Magnum rounds.

It was fun,hopefully will do it more often,once we become members but with lighter loads.

Sanjay

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:38 pm

Gosh... seems a slip up happened... BUT am learning on the job... :x .
How can u be so quick, Pran :?: :)
I don't think we need to pay every time we use the range. Ofcourse the cost of clays and other 'consumables' wud be extra... will find that out... They do have guns for hire too...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:57 pm

Sanjay’s shoulder was red with lesions !! He was too shy to let me take a pic of the mess…
Hmmm... that did not stop you from taking a look though, did it? :mrgreen:

Sounds like a typical Delhi Darlings gathering, I'd say. :lol:

Do you have good pics of Sanjay's Baikal? I am sick and tired of telling that blighter to send them to me.

BTW, that Marlin needs a cheek raiser. Neither you nor Dev are looking through the centre of the scope.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:07 pm

Olly";p="31269 wrote:How can u be so quick, Pran :?: :)
Damn, my post's gone too. But still had the pleasure... :)

>I don't think we need to pay every time we use the range. Ofcourse the cost of clays and other 'consumables' wud be extra... will find that out... They do have guns for hire too...

Thanks man. Does 'consumables' include ammo at subsidised costs?

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:11 pm

Hmmm... that did not stop you from taking a look though, did it?

WELL, I DID HAVE A GOOD LOOK.. :mrgreen:

Sounds like a typical Delhi Darlings gathering, I'd say.

YES, EXCEPT WE MISSED ABHIJEET AND THE DOC BADLY... BY THE WAY, NM IS ANOTHER DARLING ADDED TO THE CHAPTER... HOPE TO SEE HIM NEXT TIME AROUND...

Do you have good pics of Sanjay's Baikal? I am sick and tired of telling that blighter to send them to me.

I WASN'T CARRYING MY CAMERA THIS TIME... SURELY WILL DO SO NEXT TIME...

BTW, that Marlin needs a cheek raiser. Neither you nor Dev are looking through the centre of the scope.

I AM ON EDUCATIONAL TRIPS... THE GURUs NEED TO BOTHER ABOUT THAT... I STILL HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO AND UNDERSTAND THE NUANCES...

paddy
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by paddy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi Friends,

Thanks for sharing your Great outing at the Ranges. Wow!

I went there with a Army Buddy who was with NCC in Delhi and we were at the .22 ranges for few days.

I have the DD of Rs. 3070 ready for the .32 pistol range membership but stopped midway before submiting as the admin staff told me no ammo from the ranges. You have to bring in on your own and to get ammo at subsidised rates one has to be a member of either the Delhi Rifle Association or the National Association.

Checked with Dr. Sahib at the DRA and they are not accepting new members at this point in time.

Any help here from the IFG? Please!!

Regards

Paddy

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:29 am

Point taken about the riser cause I have always found it uncomfy not a nice cheek weld like say on a good air rifle. But it is a skinny rifle and easy to cart around and the funny part is that you actually feel the recoil because its so light.

All in all a great day. Thanks to Sanjay we felt less like dahlings cause we fired off some stout rounds. A shotgun actually feels way better than a pip squeak like a .22. We plan to get membership next and I shall also get my Delhi State membership renewed on election day that is the 2nd of December.

Guess what now the charlie Alok Sharma informs me that my score was good enough to try for the last two pre-national selections. Ha ha ha so funny this Delhi State organisation. But this time I'm actually going to vote some sods off. And looks like its time to get in a new air pistol ;-).

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:32 pm

:( next time could we visit the air rifle range or something where i could accompany aswell

Cheers
Sid

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:36 pm

For air rifle come to Siri Fort Sports Complex... just confirm with Delhi Darlings a few days in advance.... we all love to go and shoot there...

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Naah can't step down to that place now. Lets go to Tughlakabad again. Lets not give up on doing the membership work pronto.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:15 pm

Somebody's got addicted !! :P