atomic fish on Sunday 16th Sept

Past and future planned - events/ outings/ training sessions/ offline meets/ camps/ matches etc.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: atomic fish on Sunday 16th Sept

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:22 am

Grumpy";p="26831 wrote:I gather that Mother is doubling as `Q` nowadays - you just can`t get the staff !
That's OSA stuff Moneypenny and you should know better than to post it on an open forum. I do have half a mind of mothering you for that.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:51 am

Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:56 am

Actually Q has been doubling as M.O.T.H.E.R. Anyway the tale of last Sunday.
My idea was to explore a spot that one could hit often and fast. Something less than spending six hours driving and two hours fishing and so the location was very tempting. Purists from the Indian Angler had said that it had Magur and it was heavily netted and so there would be no action. But I had been feeling very good after my second coffee and when I added the vanilla essence to the bread paste, I felt as if a powerful secret had been handed to me, like the shaolin one inch punch. Man it smelt good all over the kitchen and suddenly I had visions of making my illegal fortune on vanilla perfume.
So after debating about having a sandwich...debate won by Krypto who had suckered me into letting him have the last five pieces, I grabbed an apple and examined my rod. I felt pretty pumped about having taken tips from the good Doc on bait and strategy.
The only area where I was worried was my tackle where I had loaded a new 15 pound line, looking at it I felt that the magur would be begging for mercy. I was totally stumped with the Doc's question of whether my line was loaded in the direction that the tackle was supposed to spin etc. Now, as in all things that I didn't understand in life or found to difficult to strain my limited grey cells on...I bleeped the thought out of my mind. The Doc had also recommended trying out a few casts in the dark but I was worried about my already poor EQ in the neighbourhood.
So I picked up the rod with both my hands and did the power warrior thing by hoisting it over my head and screaming Geronimo. Then SWAMBO completed the ritual by letting me have it with the broom till I fled from the door to the jeep(I had interrupted her massage and Krypto had let out a terrible howl, so she added her imagination and thought I had done a mischief to him).
Speeded down the highway with the old Mahindra pretending to be turbo charged, like all Delhi ites I had promised to meet Anupam at Siri Fort in Panj Minute. The poor soul was always punctual to a T and never made concessions to himself even on a Sunday. In between 'dances with fish' was sorely tempted to come (yes his back was sore) ;-). We had been at it on the hand telly, messaging away like college kids, till I played spoil t sport and called him.
His gravely black cat voice was almost sand paper rasping on wood as he spoke of further misfortune. Some nut had thwapped his beautiful Honda CRV, I wept in sympathy and moved on...I had to be strong.
I reached Siri Fort and picked up Anupam who forgave my delay by devastating me with the news that he had picked up even more gyan from the good Doc by visiting him at Noida. But I knew that day my medicine was good cause I had had visions of the fillet-of-fish burger while driving. So I drove in silence cause a little talkie and I forget where I am going most times.
In a few panj minutes we screeched into the forest path near the pond. As the wheels stopped turning Anupam and I had somersaulted from our seats, kicked a few trees on the way to change direction and cast our lines from mid air. That was the John Woo version the real one i what normally happens. Anupam took out his telescopic 'shakespeare' rod and cast with atta. I was giving him the cool-' know it all'- looks and desperately thinking jeez, who's gonna tie my knot now? The Doc used to do all my first hook tieing anyway I looked unflappable as I did the legendary blood knot. I tried a number 8 or so hook as I had read enough fishing lore about really big mothers being caught on small hooks and not the other way around.
Then I attached a 'kps gill' lead weight, you have squeeze its butt with your thumb to get it to open its jaws. And a round float and then I baited it with the Doc's special. 'Aha'- so the cast sails thru to about twenty meters, by some fluke I had got the loading the line thing right. I was so pleased that the cast was right that I didn't notice Abhijeet's entry. I was soon amazed at his kit as he also got his rod ready and cast away. I am convinced that he has a stake in a certain brewery as he generously helped us to get the right nutrients back (we had begun to sweat it up) with a hopp beverage. And then I spied my bobber going down, so I struck as advised before by Shri Bana but the line went limp. I reeled it in to discover the bait gone. Hey Doc! Thy bait really works! And so I baited it again and told Anupam to ditch the atta, I had the magical stuff. By now we got regular bites with the score being fish 3, visitors 0.
A little later, the spirit of the hopp beverage entered me... I was lost in the shamanistic experience of sitting with two friends and having the time of my life with them. Suddenly dream time ended and I realized that Abhijeet had motivated some chaps to bring us earthworms. So we did the," are you man enough"- thing of attaching earthworms to our hooks (yeccch). We were so bad at it that a local did it for us; this inspired Abhijeet to narrate a story about how a frog would be used as bait. This had as falling over stumps and grass in slow motion as we laughed ourselves silly.
Then after a few casts we realized something (imagine the tune from jaws)...the blasted fish broke my fifteen pound line without even me realizing it. I had heard of such things but now a shiver ran up my spine. That be some real mean beef out there. So I, Anupam and Abhijeet quickly hightailed it outa the spot. We had gotten away with our lives from the Atomic Magur!

Need to come back next week with stronger line, but I understand what Rusty meant about the right casting weight. Will need to get the Doc and Dances with fish involved. Till then its the nearest Mac Donalds, heck visions are meant to be realised aren't they ;-).

Thank you for wasting your time reading this outlandishly long post.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:35 pm

dev";p="26863 wrote:I was so pleased that the cast was right that I didn't notice Abhijeet's entry. But I was amazed at his kit and so he also got his rod ready and cast away.
A large % of "the kit" is through the courtesy of the good doc! :D

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:24 pm

Dev,
Your realism about the earthworm fixation is what I was avoiding... but now that u've touched on the topic, need to research on which side the earthworm's a** is !! :D
I am still sure that it'll take atleast 2 bottles of the hopp beverage to shove the hook in thru there ...next time... :lol:

Also, the good Doc helped me with a Kogha reel which was butter smooth !!

Mack The Knife, I have yr reel too... will try it out next time... as this time the Doc insisted that I use the Kogha.... Thank you for the Shakespeare...

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:41 pm

mundaire";p="26866 wrote:
dev";p="26863 wrote:I was so pleased that the cast was right that I didn't notice Abhijeet's entry. But I was amazed at his kit and so he also got his rod ready and cast away.
A large % of "the kit" is through the courtesy of the good doc! :D

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Abhijeet, you guys are nominating me for an award or what? Doc this and Doc that! I'm going to sue you guys for Libel!

Mother & Q-
the difficult part is not the hopping on one leg after / before falling off the perch, its the falling!

We'll nominate Dev for the Budgiemobile, seeing that he's the guy who's willing to drive miles out of his way to take me to places as esoteric as 'Toxic greens' or my inlaws ... 8)
...and also for the "fishing knot tying expert" award of IFG for 2006-07. :oops:
No way that Magur, even if atomic, could have broken the line.'twas the wrong knot...
Anupam for the most 'promising newbie' of the month.Drives 30 klicks to learn how to set up his stuff! 8)
Abhijeet-for the'fastest with the mostest' libations award-he can snap his fingers and have people 'hopping' long live kala teeter?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:32 pm

I presume that your blood knot is actually a half blood knot ? How many turns and are you `tucking` it ( a tucked half-blood ) because if you don`t it will come apart.
With 15 lb line and a carp rod with a 2.0-3.0 lb test curve you can easily pull in 60lb Carp........if a fish had snapped you off with that combination you would have been flat on your back ! Like Asif said, the odds are that a knot came apart.
Last edited by Grumpy on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:37 pm

Guy's will make it the next time,the week gone by has been a bit of a disaster.

Sanjay

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:37 pm

`M`.... or `Q` - whoever you are this week - you keep your `mothering` to yourself.........Eeugh ! Given me the shivers now ! ( Damn, we haven`t got a `being sick` emoticon have we ? Shame. )

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:00 pm

Grumpy";p="26873 wrote:I presume that your blood knot is actually a half blood knot ? How many turns and are you `tucking` it ( a tucked half-blood ) because if you don`t it will come apart.
With 15 lb line and a carp rod with a 2.0-3.0 lb test curve you can easily pull in 60lb Carp........if a fish had snapped you off with that combination you would have been flat on your back ! Like Asif said, the odds are that a knot came apart.
I tied three turns across the line and then knotted it. But I am relieved to learn that its me and not the magur...but where I still have the jaws feeling is that the weight and float also vanished. That didn't have any knots but yeah i could have messed up.

So good I can hit the place again next week then.

Dev

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:06 pm

Grumpy";p="26875 wrote:`M`.... or `Q` - whoever you are this week - you keep your `mothering` to yourself.........Eeugh ! Given me the shivers now ! ( Damn, we haven`t got a `being sick` emoticon have we ? Shame. )
Grumps

It was one of those weeks where everything planned had to be either postponed or cancelled.

Sanjay

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:07 pm

Agreed to all but get yer legs fixed or we'll roll you to the atomic swamp next week. See mastah no legs hee heee heee. ;-)
I guess I really hopped up that knot eh? Got Anupam to do the next one, he really learnt his lesson one mastah or is that mother? ;-)

Dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:17 pm

Three turns isn`t enough - you need a minimum of 6.......and 8 is better.
You don`t `knot` the line after making the turns..........so I`m wondering just what it is you`re actually tieing.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:22 pm

I think I need to go back to learning the knot...i can't describe what i did, basically looped it around itself a few times and then slipped it inside one loop and pulled tight...obviously the wrong knot will go thru the diagram again.

regards,

dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:35 pm

Sanjay, I was actually talking to Mack The Knife.....Seems that you haven`t read the sillyness that has been going on above. Sorry to hear that you`re injured - what have you been doing to yourself ?

( penpusher, we now have another of them identified - I have Sanjay lulled into a sense of false security - seems like he`ll `cough` without even being interrogated. I reckon Mother must be getting senile or something because her groups security is very poor. )