Greetings !

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
camerags
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Greetings !

Post by camerags » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:27 pm

Hi Fellow gun enthusiasts,

Since I shoot more with my cameras, I chose to call myself camerags here.

I work in IT as a Senior Support Manager for Multinational HQ?ed in Geneva. Chennai is my home (though it?s still Madras to me) and I have been a member of the Chennai Rifle Club for 20 years. I have won the Bronze twice in Tamil Nadu State level shoots in two different disciplines.

I enjoy Target shooting and am decidedly anti hunting. Even primitive man hunted animals for food, but he never hung up a saber toothed tiger skin to decorate his cave. If you are a trophy hunter, you are off my Christmas card list.

That said, I am an avid nature photographer of advanced amateur status and a musician as well, having played the guitar since I was 9 and I now jam with my 15 year old son who plays better than I could ever do.

I own a BRNO Model 1/.22 Rimfire, a HW77/.22 and a Diana 48/52 .177 air rifles. Plus an Indian made Aimco/.22 Tommy that I bought for my Son. I enjoy doing my own own ?gunsmith-ing? and I have done all tune-ups on my air rifles myself.

My wife and Son share all my interests.

Cheers !

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Greetings !

Post by mundaire » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:30 pm

Welcome aboard Camerags... look forward to you participating in some of our discussions here :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:15 am

I enjoy Target shooting and am decidedly anti hunting.
But you eat meat. What a hypocrite! Anyway, I am not going to waste my time arguing this same old subject with you.

Welcome aboard Rags. Has John given you the Nikon? Airport security wouldn't let DTDC send it, so they returned it to me.

Regards to S and R.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: There is a chap here who wants to know about your experience with Hawke scopes. Accessories section, I think.

P.P.S.: Use the Photo Album section to show the punters your wild life pics. It will be much appreciated.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:27 am

Welcome aboard,Camerags. We have room for every view on the gun lovers spectrum. Just, be well braced for some heated debates on hunting. Once again, we look forward to regular participation from you.For me too, it was Madras when was at the Ramakrishna Mission Hostel at T.Nagar.

Best regards-

Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:50 am

welcome to IFG Camerags,
Your interest, knowledge, and experience in air rifles and pistols will be of immense value to other members with similar interests here, and I am sure you will learn some too, from them.

I have to say though, that I completely disagree with what your views on hunting.

Since this is an introductions/welcomes only thread, I will save my argument for the hunting section. See you there.

Good to have you here,
Naren

camerags
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by camerags » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:21 am

Yo Rusty Old Boy! Yes John sent me the Nikon binocs and I will open it up and clean it after I get back from my travels. Like I said i may not touch the prisms but the lenses are easy

My interests are in air guns, gunsmithing and general gun talk.

Maybe I stirred up a hornet's nest with my views on anti-hunting.My objection to hunting for trophies is confined to India where we have laws in place which protect the few species that are left. I can debate this just as loudly and clearly but would rather bow out of a fraternity that believes in something that I dont.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:23 am

Camerags,

Do we know each other? I was a member at the MRC from the mid 70s upto 85 or 86.

You're in a nice place for the shooting sports right now - the Feldschiessen/Tir en Campagne matches should take place any day in Switzerland now. If you attend them, do take some pics and post them here.

And, there's no need to leave this forum because of your views on hunting in India. No one here is interested in breaking the law in India - poaching as it would be. Since you're out of the country, it wouldn't be a problem to get a little hunting in Europe, I guess. Have heard that hunting chamois in Switzerland is particularly difficult, though, with a three year waiting list to get a tag.

Welcome again!

Mehul

camerags
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by camerags » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:48 am

HI Mehul,

We have mailed each other on occasions after Mack The Knife introduced us a while back. I joined the Madras Rifle Club in 1985, about the time you were leaving.

I live in Chennai though I travel to Europe on work often. That chamois was quite safe in any case..

I have no intentions of getting into debates - I apologise for starting one - but as an Indian living in India, I would like see my flora and fauna protected by law, and if it were not for these laws, we would have nothing to speak of.. Hunting laws in other countries dont interest me.

camerags

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:58 am

Morning, Rags! I am in no hurry to get the binocs. Take your time but do a super-dooper job. Ta!
I can debate this just as loudly and clearly but would rather bow out of a fraternity that believes in something that I dont.
Now don't be daft. You are entitled to your opinion. Let's just leave it at that.
My objection to hunting for trophies is confined to India where we have laws in place which protect the few species that are left.
So long as we are talking endangered species in a particular area, I support your view 100%. Who wouldn't? Apart from the commercially motivated poachers, that is.

Considering the ever decreasing habitat, sustainable hunting that keeps wildlife populations at manageable numbers isn't wrong and the revenue it would bring is all to the good.

Toodles!

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi Rags (if I may?)
Welcome aboard.
A fellow gun enthuisiast is very welcome to this league of endangered gun owners!
Yes, there will be lively debates and the boards resound of faux gunsmoke!
But, stay on, your experience in gunsmithing and presence of another gun fan is very welcome.
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:00 pm

Hi Rags,

Just saw this post(Don't know why but View posts since last visit is not working for me today :( ).

Welcome to the forum..

Though i don't agree with your views on trophy hunting but we can still debate on pro and cons of everything for good..

And as Mack The Knife said please share your wild life pics with us.

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

steyrshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by steyrshot » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:34 am

Cheers mate
glad to have you onboard, happy shooting :D
With regards,
Steyrshot
And he lifted his pistol as the crowds cheered ... the sights sharpened ... the target blurred ... the finger squeezed ... DAMN !!! forgot to load the silly thing again :oops: ... The crowd now looks the other way ... I wake up from my Nightmare !!! :D

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:42 am

Camerags,

Any of the old timers still around? There were young lads like Sumit Sanghvi back then and I forget the name of the flour mill owners - an enthusiastic family as I remember. There was also Malathi David, a nice lady who always came accompanied by her little son Vimal. And, if you meet Appa Rao or his son DVS Rao, please convey my regards to them. Their Shikar Armoury used to have some nice guns from time to time but I heard that they sold some of their Boss guns to Tarachand Mehta some years ago. I'll recall more names in due course, but these were people whom I was in touch with long after I left the club as they were trying to sell some of their guns abroad, and to a major collector in Europe who is a personal friend of mine.

Cheers,

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:04 pm

Mehul,

Sumit returned to competitive shooting at the 2002 GVM and I think he is still around but not sure as I haven't gone for any comps in the past couple of years. Last I saw him was during the 2003 Nationals at Hyderabad.

Mack The Knife

camerags
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by camerags » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi Mehul,

As Mack The Knife Clarified, Sumeet Sanghvi still shoots at competitions and he is one of the shooters who brought laurels to MRC. Malathy David is still a familiar face at the club. The flour mill family - I forget their names - the Father pased away a few years back and the sons have'nt been at the range since. DVS Rao Junior and I went to school together. I bought my first .22 Remington 514 single shot from Junior Rao from their Armory. Rao Junior is in a big way with shooting sports in India. I will pass on your regards to the Rao's

Cheers,