I fancy a shotgun case...

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: I fancy a shotgun case...

Post by Pran » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:58 pm

cottage cheese";p="29188 wrote:
Yaar,...Czech to English nahi hai...
AARGH!! :evil:

http://www.translation-guide.com/free_o ... to=English
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:08 pm

HSharief";p="29170 wrote:Its always a pleasure to watch a master perform.
Would you like to see me turn water into wine as well? Or how about me pulling Jonah out of my hat...with his ears. :lol:

Shucks, you guys are really laying on the pressure and all that remains is for Grumpy to suggest some tasteful marquetry. :roll: Sorry to disappoint but it's just going to be a plain jane guncase.
if it wud be carved out of wood
Carved out of wood! :shock: Have you the foggiest what good wood costs? I could easily order one of those expensive cases mentioned at the start and have change to spare.
Remember I am an old admirer of ur gun.
Buy it! :mrgreen:

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:26 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="29205 wrote:
HSharief";p="29170 wrote:Its always a pleasure to watch a master perform.
Would you like to see me turn water into wine as well? Or how about me pulling Jonah out of my hat...with his ears. :lol:
Oh Come on, I know better than that. I meant just about your earthly craft. But pulling Jonah from a hat might be interesting to watch ;)

Please don't make it plain Jane. Don't cheat yourself of what you can do. Now that you've started, and told everyone, go all the way. Good wood with lots of grain, velvet interior, brass hardware, combination locks, leather accents, the whole nine yards, or in this case, the whole 12 guages ;) Just your drawing of the outlines on plain paper are of higher grade than my scribbles. I'm sure the finished product will be OUTSTANDING.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:06 am

Well, I am in two minds.

To make a fancy case would appreciate the cost of the gun :mrgreen: but this one is going to ride in the back of the Gypsy and all that fancy stuff would be ruined. And I am a pragmatic sort of bloke. ;)

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:37 am

Please don't make it plain Jane. Don't cheat yourself of what you can do. Now that you've started, and told everyone, go all the way. Good wood with lots of grain, velvet interior, brass hardware, combination locks, leather accents, the whole nine yards, or in this case, the whole 12 guages Just your drawing of the outlines on plain paper are of higher grade than my scribbles. I'm sure the finished product will be OUTSTANDING.
Aw c'mon Rusty do as grumpy says.. Don't cheat yourself of what you can do. (wi' yore hands) Pretty pleeeeeeese!!! Whatdyaa know you might even break a thumb in the process :mrgreen:

Jokes apart.. and not to discourage you from overseeing your carpenters ambitious and interesting project, Have you been to a music store recently?? I remember seeing some boxy Indian made plywood Guitar/violin cases that might suit your purpose..
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:01 am

Right then, the carpenter has been given a little more detailed drawing (should have taken a pic for any of you chaps wanting to have one made) and instructions.

Materials to be used:

Base material is MDF. 1/4" thick base, case top and internal divisions. 1/2" thick along the sides.

1/2" thick therma foam for a bit of cushioning on the top and bottom.

1.5mm thick rubber material along all sides.

Entire internal to be covered in dark green felt.

A thick canvas external cover.

Two padlockable latches and one combination lock in the centre.

Brass piano hinge.

Brass or steel corner protectors.

Leather handle...hopefully.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Where the dickens did my reply to Jonah disappear to?

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:13 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="29213 wrote: Well, I am in two minds.

To make a fancy case would appreciate the cost of the gun :mrgreen: but this one is going to ride in the back of the Gypsy and all that fancy stuff would be ruined. And I am a pragmatic sort of bloke. ;)
Very beautiful shotgun may I suggest that when you are in town we do a jugad for you. An aluminium case just for the purpose that you have outlined is being made at anand parbat, maybe you'd like to pick one up...cost approx 1900 or so.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:22 pm

Dev,

Wish you had piped up earlier. If you go to this place take pics of all the sides, the insides, the locks and handles. If possible find out the thickness of aluminium being used.

What is the padding material they are using?

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="29241 wrote: Dev,

Wish you had piped up earlier. If you go to this place take pics of all the sides, the insides, the locks and handles. If possible find out the thickness of aluminium being used.

What is the padding material they are using?

Mack The Knife
A thousand apologies I was getting the pop corn ready when I thought... hey he's not building it himself and then the image of Jonah jumping out of a hat amused me for several hours till I thought...aaah well will get you pics. The material is like the aluminum sheet on the floor of the DTC BUS. Inside the box is egg shell foam without any fancy cut away segments.

Regards,

Dev

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:38 pm

I last travelled in a DTC bus in 1977. However, in the unlikely event that they have changed the design, could you please get me the pics. ;)

This reminds me of the aluminium or sheet steel school bags we used to have in the 70's and the number of shins I had deliberately barked with mine. :mrgreen:

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:50 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="29245 wrote: I last travelled in a DTC bus in 1977. However, in the unlikely event that they have changed the design, could you please get me the pics. ;)

This reminds me of the aluminium or sheet steel school bags we used to have in the 70's and the number of shins I had deliberately barked with mine. :mrgreen:
These are tougher with lines on them can't explain better will post pics. So you were twisted even at that age eh? ;-) Oops now my ears are gonna burn for sure.

Dev

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:26 pm

Mack The Knife,
I've seen boxes being made of GI sheets near SJP road.They're available in different guages and can be custom made.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:37 pm

dev";p="29248 wrote:
Mack The Knife Bana";p="29245 wrote: I last travelled in a DTC bus in 1977. However, in the unlikely event that they have changed the design, could you please get me the pics. ;)

These are tougher with lines on them can't explain better will post pics. So you were twisted even at that age eh? ;-) Oops now my ears are gonna burn for sure.

Dev
I suppose Dev means Aluminum sheets of this kind...

More common is the type with a rhomboid rib pattern and straight ribs.

biking3819
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by biking3819 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:01 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="29213 wrote:Well, I am in two minds.

guruji any thing for us in the progress front...anything for our eyes....
regards sanjiv

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:38 pm

Dev is referring to Diamondplate, more clarity here.

http://www.metalwax.com/DIAMOND%20PLATE.htm