help needed on mounting scope on iof 30,06

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

help needed on mounting scope on iof 30,06

Post by Kittu » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi guys i have a 2010 model 30,06 rifle make iof with 11mm dowtail on it.i having problum in mounting scope on rifle.the main problem is that i am not able to zero the scope after giving all ellivation it still shoots low.i think factory made dowtail is not straight its at angel which aims the crosshair too high and makes it impossible to align with bore.do any ifgns have the solution kindly share with me i will be thank full regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Re: help needed on mounting scope on iof 30,06

Post by Katana » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:01 am

Ashok,

First my congratulations on your acquiring the .30-06. It's a fine weapon and I hope you enjoy shooting it.

Now the 11mm rail is meant for a diaopter sight and NOT for mounting a scope. Anything mounted on this will not take the beating the .30-06 belts outs. If you see closely, you will find 4 screw points tapped on the receiver. It is these points which are to be used for affixing mounts and then the rings thereafter.

Best would be to use Warne mounts and rings. Go for a 3-9x40 scope of a good make. Do not opt for an objective diameter greater than 40mm because then the ocular bell will foul with the rear tangent sight, nor should you opt for a magnification greater than 3-9 or you will reduce your field of view tremendously.
Last edited by Katana on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:08 am

thanks katana for your advise but the problem is i have now 6-24x24 scope with mill dott ragging as u know mil dot works on 10x .i have spoild 2 scopes of 3-9 in fixing problem.i just want to mount 6-24x50mm scope i have removed back iron sight of my rifle in doing so and i want it make a complete sniper rifle removing front sight installing muzzelbreak,rearstock modifications i will buy rings you mentioned as soon as possible once i am done i will post pics of modified rifle first to you thanks a lot for your kind advice regards ashok

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:58 am

ashokgodara:

the 11mm dovetail is not the reason why your rifle is apparently shooting low. though you may have to address the issue later on (or maybe not, depending on your experience)

please check the mounts you are using. your problem may be solved simply by using the lowest mounts your scope will tolerate without banging against the bolt or sights or barrel, in your case.

what distance are you zeroing the gun at? if you shoot too close, there will be a disparity and problems with zeroing. try shooting (if not already) at 75 and 100m. measure your distance properly.

if the problem still persists, you may need to shim your mount: practically speaking: carefully raise the rear end of the scope....use very thin layer(s) (x ray or old photographic negative film, for example) between the scope mount and the scope tube of the rear mount only.

zeroing can be a headache. i suggest you go through the tutorials on how to perform it accurately on this thread and the internet. ensure you do no introduce cant and other errors, as your distances will be great, and the ammo expensive.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:06 am

Hamilclar is pretty much right in his advise. I would have told you about zeroing at a later date but he has followed up with my post. Would it be possible for you to show us some photographs of the modifications on your rifle? That way I could study them and offer you some more suggestions.

Also, PM member 'sauer202ind' for his contribution. He too modified his rifle for the Big Bore Championships lately.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:25 am

thanks hamiclar01and katana for your kind advice.i have found that iof 30,06 rifle's dowtail dont have straight angel so u cannot mount a scope unless u have mounts of diffrent heights.the rear mount or ring should be atleast 2mm high then front ring.i just increased height of ring by putting pieces of medical tape(cotton handyplast type) its a very sticky tape that should hold the scope as i think.and at last i was able to align bore and scope.i not zerowed yet by firing but i am able to move crosshair up and down by rotation of turret.i will shortly zero it at 100 yards.and tell u guys how it works.thanks again both of you for helping
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kittu on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:30 pm

Ashok,

Maybe it is the scope and not the rifle.Looks like a cheap Leapers scope.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:12 pm

hi its not leapers it is centerpoint adventure class 6-24x24 and i zerowed this scope on iof .22 rifle in few minutes.as i mentioned in my earlear post i ruined 2 scopes one was bushnell trophy and other one bushnell banner in fixing problem.it was dowtail which was creating problem and as i raised height of rear mount i was able to bore sight it and currently it seems ok to me.more i can tll only after firing some shots thanks

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Ashok,

Congrats on your new purchase! Now lets get down to your problem.

The scope you've mounted on your IOF seems to be sitting in a pair of see-thru 1" rings with tip-off mounts, mostly intended for .22LR receivers. The groove on your rifle (as Katana mentioned) is for attaching a 11mm rail-type diopter rear sight assembly and certainly not for a riflescope! Buy or machine a weaver rail that should be atleast 170mm long and check carefully with a good set of vernier calipers, the distance between centers for the holes drilled and tapped into the receiver, measure the edge-to-edge distance of both receiver holes and subtract the diameter of the hole, you will get your distance between centers. You can now use this to drill your scope base to get the alignment for the screws to fit correctly.

If you're using Warne/Leupold-type bases, whether one-piece or two, you'll need to shim the front base (between base and receiver) with an aluminium/steel shim given a thickness of 1.57mm and radiused correctly to fit your receiver and scope base, if you have a one-piece rail, then it's easier to 'epoxy shim' the front end and get a 100% perfect fit as the rail sits on the receiver and covers almost three-fourths of the action all the way from the back and thus helping the front end to find its own level in the epoxy, but this method is failsafe only if its done carefully.

Your ring height and scope selection has done you in as far as the inability to raise the rifle's point of impact goes, any 1" scope tube will offer limited windage/elevation adjustments if not matched with the correct ring height. My advice here is get the right scope bases, medium-low 1" rings will work best as your rifle has a 60-degree bolt lift and this feature will enable you to make your optics sit as low as you'd want them to, provided the objective bell will clear your sights/barrel. You should be good to go from then on :mrgreen:

I will post some pics of my set-up very soon on this thread, been gone a long time.. :roll:
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:36 am

thanks z375 for your kind advice.i am sure if i follow yours suggestions it will be final and permanent solution for mounting scope on iof 30 rifles.kindly keep in mind my scope's objective lance diameter is 50mm.it seems you have the same weapon so kindly check space between front lance and barrel will a medium low rings will work.and one more favor you have to do i dont know from where to buy the stuff rails,rings,base etc you have to help me buy this stuff.i have sent my email address and contact no through pm kindly send pictures of your setups i will be very thankful to you regards

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:05 pm

one more thing your mount looks too lean for the rifle.
i doubt your scope will be sitting after couple of shots.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:05 am

thanks dr.jaykumar for your suggetion.i know the mounts are weak they are meant for .22lr ammo not for 30-06 thats why i have not test fired yet i am afraid if i fire and scope bangs on my right eye.i am waiting for some good base and rings to hold the scope and i dont know place from where to buy.i have tried gunshops but they dont have base and rings for 30-06 they have rings only to mount on .22 made of alluminium .and my fellow ifgns dont seems they are keen to help me buy this stuff thanks

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:35 pm

Ashok
Go down to Patiala and get in touch with Bobby Sidhu of Peerless Firearms .. his no is listed in the directory....he will help resolve your issues wrt bases.Trust me you wont be disappointed
PM your address and I will courier you the rings....you are good to go then ....and hopefully you wont ruin anymore scopes.. :lol:
cheers

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:28 pm

thanks bro for your kind advice i will go to bobby sidhu but before i have to do a lot of paperwork as my liecence is valid for haryana only.i my self have many rings but dont know which will work and i want to change furniture of my rifle as it is of worse quality five shot magzine,bluing etc.i will pm you my address and contact nos and thanking you again for your help regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:14 am

I spot a pair of see through weaver rings amongst your collection. While these would do the job (with appropriate bases) and may allow you to use the iron sights without removing the scope, do keep in mind that they would mean that your scope would be set up rather high and considering the drop in the IOF .30-06 stock would be unsuitable without the use of a cheek riser.

A cheek riser is easy enough to fabricate - if you plan to use these, search for a post by Mack The Knife where he has detailed his experience in fitting one on to his IOF .22 rifle.
HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet

P.S. Is the second picture the scope you broke? Seems like an airgun/ rimfire scope. May I suggest you consider getting an appropriate scope for your rifle as well.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein