Asif's Jeffery DBBL rifle - FAO Rustam

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:51 pm

I have been working on another stock and can take yours up begining next week if things stay as they are.

Are you sure you want me to work on it? Frankly, I am a bit nervous working on such a rifle.

Also, speak to your father and get his okay first.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:59 pm

Sure Mack The Knife, will send you happy pills to take care of the apprehension? because it is what it is, i would trust none but you with it, relax. I would love to be there when the crud goes, to see the wood .Actually am waiting for a olde english pad- a bit undecided whether to keep a pad or not.Can you hang on a while if time permits?
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Size of pellets in shotgun cartridges

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:29 pm

I have no problem waiting. Infact I have no choice if you want to put a new pad. In which case, how about lifting the chequering as well? I have absolutely no experience in doing this but am willing to try if you get the right tools along with the pad.

Could one of the smarter mods please split this thread and tell me how to do this again.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:47 pm

Mack The Knife - done the needful. For future reference, you can do this by clicking on the "two arrows" pointing outwards icon, just above the "Quick reply" box and to the left of the "Lock" icon.

You then fill out a new topic in the next screen (for the posts which you will be splitting), just below that you select which board this split thread is to be placed, and then select each post (from the current thread) that you wish to put in the new (split) thread.

Then click on "Split selected posts" :)

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Re: Asif's Jeffery DBBL rifle - FAO Mack The Knife

Post by penpusher » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:18 pm

This is what I think is called for:-

1.Rust blue the barrels.Would require a humidity box to regulate the rusting.Too much moisture and the barrels can get pitted.

2.Open up the action and clean out the inner parts.Colour case harden the action.

3.Refinish the stock.A leather covered recoil pad would look good.If religious sensibilities are an issue,then a rubber recoil pad(red/orange) would do.Brownells would be a good place to get one.You could try a buffalo horn butt plate.

4.A two/three leaf express sight to replace the one lost.

One option would be for Asif to take the rifle abroad and get it restored from a good gunsmith.He can get it engraved while he is at it.Would also enable him to get the right ammo for it.Guns cannot be sent abroad through post,however they can be carried abroad for repair.This would be a very expensive option,however well worth the effort considering what a new double would cost and the fact that Asif is getting it for free.

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:40 pm

Thanks, Abhijeet.

The penny finally dropped.

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:33 pm

For the checkering what would be required is a single line checkering tool.Asif, are the diamonds flat or pointed?

penpusher

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:46 pm

Mack The Knife/Asif,
What caliber is the rifle? Can you post pics.
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:06 pm

penpusher- flat diamonds.A good double rifle gunsmith in US would take about 4-6 weeks for the 'dream gun suggestions'-turn around time.Cant afford it-I'll have to think of emigrating to the US then! ;) or-I'll have to get to Blr for 2 weeks or get Mack The Knife here...
Pran - 450/400 Jefferey, cordite
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:16 pm

You can ask these people ( the current manufacturer's of W J Jeffery firearms) for an estimate http://www.jroberts-gunmakers.co.uk/makers/wjj.htm

penpusher

PS-Ebonite was also used for butt plates,sometimes

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:48 am

Paul Roberts is a superb gunmaker......but if you`re going to ask for an estimate I should make sure you`re sitting down first.....and it might be an idea to take a couple of Beta blockers beforehand.
Two problems regarding the engraving: Firstly the action has been case hardened which means that it would be extremely difficult to engrave - engraving is carried out prior to hardening. It can be done but it would require a complete strip-down so that the action can be slowly heated to remove the hardening. There`s the attendant risk that it might `move` ( warp ) during this process which would be expensive to correct. The second problem is the cost of engraving. Complete coverage scroll or rose and scroll engraving will cost around £2000 which, at the current rate of exchange, I make Rs 174,727. That`s for the gun to be engraved in Italy - if done in England it will be more expensive. There are also the shipping costs to add and the case hardening.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:13 am

Asif,

Last night the pics that were sent to both e-mail accounts bounced back. Probably due to the size.

I could resize them and post them here or I could burn the original size and courier it to you. Do let me know.

Mack The Knife