.22 LR KF life.

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
velind
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

.22 LR KF life.

Post by velind » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:56 pm

Hello all,
Can anyone tell me what is the life of the .22LR KF bullet and after the "expiry date" what will be the condition of the bullet ? Will it still work or will it become unstable and blowup if dropped or mishandled ?

Can someone post a photograph of a new .22LR KF bullet ?

For Advertising mail webmaster
z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: .22 LR KF life.

Post by z375 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:27 pm

The average shelf life of metallic ammunition is said to be seven years, but if carefully stored and protected from moisture, excessive heat et all, you can extend that upto a few more. This doesn't hold true for all ammo though, I have seen some shiny new rounds ( not Brasso'ed!) that looked very promising but went "tick" when the hammer was down on them, and contrarily I picked up some badly-kept .423 rifle ammo that looked like historical artefacts, but went BANG! everytime :shock: The same has applied to some old and new .22 LR KF ammo too.

So if your ammo is stored properly in good plastic packets or better, cling film with small/large packets of silica gel sandwiched between, in a controlled environment (i.e a good gun cupboard) it should keep well for years and years before giving up the ghost! Ammo may look shiny new but IMO that don't mean a thing. The proof of the pudding...is in the eating! :mrgreen:

Cheers!
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

bandukbhandar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by bandukbhandar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:15 pm

Dear members

The Ordnance Factory Board of India website www.ofbindia.gov.in shows that the shelf life on KF .22" rifle ammo is 18 years.

Cheers

Kezar Husen Bandukwala

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:29 am

Velind: The military used a ten year shelf life for it's cartridges, and some people still recommend that. Usually the primer deteriorates before the powder does; you start getting misfires. Storage conditions probably have as much to do with shelf life, as do the chemical composition of primer and powder. I have ammo that is over forty years old, and still functions perfectly. Yet French 8mm Lebel ammo had become perfectly useless, with primer and powder deteriorated after 25-30 years, and British ammo started to fail after 35 years. Russian .22 RF gave about a 90% misfire rate after not quite fifteen years. Yet we have Turkish 8x57mm surplus ammo from the 1950s that functions perfectly, gives higher than standard velocity, without sign of excessive pressure.
If stored in very hot and dry conditions, pressure and velocity may see a slight increase; usually the ammo gets weaker as it gets old. And it won't explode if dropped. Cheers.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:38 pm

It is next to impossible to make ammo explode by dropping it. You need to have sharp impact to the primer to make it go off.

The shelf life of ammunition is very subjective. I still have a few rounds of 8mm Mauser and 9mm para found in fields from WWI and WWII that can and have been used without an issue.

With KF ammo, I had a bunch of 1981 .22 LR that would misfire every alternate round in 2002. So I would not take the 18 year figure at face value.

Good quality ammo, stored properly will last a lifetime or thereabouts. Personally I try my best to shoot off as much ammo as I can, to avoid storing it.. :twisted:

Timnorris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Timnorris » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:43 pm

Guys you are not going to believe it......................I had a 20 gauge cartridge Eley Kynoch paper case and it was surely more than 45 years old and this was the only cartridge I had.......... so just to check wheather one of the firing pins are working I fired it did not fire a slight mark on the cap then I put the same misfierd cartridge in the second barrel and to my surprise it fired

the shelf life for shotgun shell according to OFB is 6 years but this cartridge was almost an antique................so even a 100 year old rimfire cartridge may fire ..........

eaglesharp10
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by eaglesharp10 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:20 pm

EAGLESHARP-POST DELETED
RTFM AND DONT HIJACK POSTS

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:52 pm

eaglesharp10 wrote:anyone hav an idea from where i could buy .22 long rifle
I assume ammo... in a gun shop maybe? :twisted:

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:57 am

Go to a gun shop.. they normally will have some available from what I know.
I am sure in Chandigarh, or Mohali or Patiala or ferozepur you will get what you need. Check your yellow pages...
If you were around me I would happily send you as much as you want. :cheers:

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:05 pm

eaglesharp : Where I live I have no issues finding the .22 lr cartridge. I am not interested in the .25 since I dont own a weapon in that caliber. I do try and keep about 5000 cartridges of .22lr on hand. Right now I suspect I might be under that level and do need to check my stock.

eaglesharp10
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by eaglesharp10 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:51 pm

MoA wrote:eaglesharp : Where I live I have no issues finding the .22 lr cartridge. I am not interested in the .25 since I dont own a weapon in that caliber. I do try and keep about 5000 cartridges of .22lr on hand. Right now I suspect I might be under that level and do need to check my stock.
i m interested in .22 cartridges , do u hav indian or imported ? plz mail me at [email protected] along with the price and name of the company and type of ammo. and also about 12 bore ammo both indian and imported

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:40 pm

eaglesharp10 wrote:
MoA wrote:eaglesharp : Where I live I have no issues finding the .22 lr cartridge. I am not interested in the .25 since I dont own a weapon in that caliber. I do try and keep about 5000 cartridges of .22lr on hand. Right now I suspect I might be under that level and do need to check my stock.
i m interested in .22 cartridges , do u hav indian or imported ? plz mail me at [email protected] along with the price and name of the company and type of ammo. and also about 12 bore ammo both indian and imported
Please do NOT hijack Velind's thread. :evil: Not only is it bad manners, but you are digressing from his question by light years.

Kindly post your query in the classified section under "Wanted"
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:11 pm

Seems to be happening too often nowadays. Everyone's got their excuses.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:22 pm

Eaglesharps posts deleted.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."