Gun Storage

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
clownfish
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Gun Storage

Post by clownfish » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:58 pm

dont know if this is the correct forum for this topic...

what do you guys do for gun storage? i'm looking for a suitable safe/ ? for storing my rifles. at the moment i use a half- size godrej steel almirah with racks that hold the rifles in an upright (muzzle-up) position.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Gun Storage

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:54 pm

A Godrej steel cupboard should be more than sufficient.

Just bear a few points in mind:

1) Do not store in a humid environment.
2) Always rub a clean oily rag on the metal parts after touching a firearm - try not to get it on the wood as it stains the wood, assuming it's oil finished.
3) If you keep guns in a gun bag before placing them in a cupboard, ensure that the inside of the bag is completely dry, the metal is at room temperature (if it's colder it will condense when placed in the bag), that you have put a thin film of oil on the metal bits and leave the case slightly open.
4) Never apply oil directly as the oil may reach places it isn't meant to. Always use a clean rag as mentioned earlier.
5) If possible, the cabinet should be placed away from windows (prying eyes) and ideally, it should be abutting a load bearing wall and bolted onto it or the floor.
6) It is preferable that you do not keep your ammo in the same cupboard as your rifles.

It's not the best of pics but if you want to make a scaled down copy, be my guest.

P.S.: What you do not see in the pic are two lockable shutters for the ammo and knife sections.

P.P.S.: Here's an earlier and better pic.

clownfish
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by clownfish » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:34 am

very nice! what guns do you have in there?
will post my pics soon...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:01 am

Mostly airguns, Clownfish.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:52 pm

I love that sling(On the first gun from the right). :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:41 pm

I don't but it's a collectors item now. :wink:

steyrshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by steyrshot » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:01 pm

Dear Mack The Knife
Im impressed .... (umang hastily starts to clean his own cupboard, which by the way is stuffed with odds and ends :oops: ).

Im sure your aware of silica gel packs used to control humidity / moisture ... just wanted to let you know that recently i came across a 4x6 inch aluminium alloy container pack by "sea & sea" which has a humidity indicator and is infinitely rechargeable for $28/- plus shipping.

Reason im mentioning it is that it would be great for a cupboard the size you have, or you could place 2 x 2x4 inch ones in different sections ($14/- each).

If your not using it already, just do a search on "Sea & Sea" or "Pelican" or you can look up any major scuba / diving stores maintenance sections - they use them for moisture control in their underwater camera housings.

try this link http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... ype=search
Last edited by steyrshot on Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With regards,
Steyrshot
And he lifted his pistol as the crowds cheered ... the sights sharpened ... the target blurred ... the finger squeezed ... DAMN !!! forgot to load the silly thing again :oops: ... The crowd now looks the other way ... I wake up from my Nightmare !!! :D

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:07 pm

Umang,

Too much silica gel is reputed to dry out seals, o-rings and such. If you are going to spend that sort of money have a look at Napier's VP90.

I do bung in some silica gel every now and then. I have a never ending source - wife = shoes = shoe boxes = silica gel sachets. :wink:

steyrshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by steyrshot » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:20 pm

Dear Mack The Knife
Thanks for the info ...... DAMN !!! :evil: i have 4 packs of that stuff lying flush against my lp10's grip ..... going home now !!!

thanks for the heads up !!!

btw a 2x4 pack will not seriously dry out everything in such a large cupboard, which is not fully sealed ... but my gun box is so bye and thanks.. im off to save my grip !!! .. and OH ! im going to love the reaction of a very pompous coach who swears by the stuff when i print that VP90 article and stick it to his door :twisted:

PS: what would you recommend for a gun box with a steyr LP 10 in it - the metal is not exposed it has a very fancy mettalic silver coat of paint on it ... any ideas on how to keep the grip dry after a long days practice that grip gets really wet ... and i hate sticking it into the gun box like that ... any suggestions ...
With regards,
Steyrshot
And he lifted his pistol as the crowds cheered ... the sights sharpened ... the target blurred ... the finger squeezed ... DAMN !!! forgot to load the silly thing again :oops: ... The crowd now looks the other way ... I wake up from my Nightmare !!! :D

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:45 pm

Umang,

What VP90 article?

I had a similar silver LP10 (the carry case can be seen in the bottom pic) but apart from wiping the metal parts down with an oily rag, I did not put any desicant in the case.

The best way to keep the grip dry is to keep your hand dry. There are sprays and powders that do this but a hand towel should be more than sufficient.

I would not advice a lacquer finish as that would make it slippery. An oil finish is a marginial solution but it may 'soften' the grittiness of the existing stippling. I think you would get a more informed response to this question on TT.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:58 pm

Are those h&n pellet tins?

The majority are H&N pellets.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:50 pm

Mack The Knife,

I think you edited Dev's post in place of quoting... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:10 pm

Wow Rusty, gun cabinet right next to your other toys, the rocking horse is so inviting. I'm sure you have a lot of fun. :lol:

I save the little silica gel pouches I get when I buy stuff and keep them in my gun cases. What do you think about keeping actions open and cable locks thru them, appropriately, so that it disables the action ?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:29 pm

kanwar76";p="3198 wrote:Mack The Knife,

I think you edited Dev's post in place of quoting... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Inder
That's two in one day and three in a week. :roll:

Sorry is all I can say..... :mrgreen:

Abhijeet, is there any way I can disable all the extra modding features until I really need them? Also, if there is some feature that makes the board go ka-boom, would you be kind enough to remove it from my reach.... permanently. Failing which get yourself a brighter mod. :D

Feel like Peter Sellers in The Party. :roll: :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:47 pm

Wow Rusty, gun cabinet right next to your other toys, the rocking horse is so inviting. I'm sure you have a lot of fun. :lol:
I like playing Cowboys and Injuns. :wink:
What do you think about keeping actions open and cable locks thru them, appropriately, so that it disables the action?
Prefered. It's just that I am paranoid about some creepy crawly getting in. Not that I have seen any to date but still.....

Mack The Knife