rifle scope

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

rifle scope

Post by cherian.k.k » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:02 am

hello every one
i would like to know weather rifle scope has been banned?can i bring one from U.S
cherian.k.k

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:02 pm

Grey area, but maybe you can carry one in. One that doesn't have a zoom feature, if I remember correctly maybe a small fixed focus should be safe like a 4X20.

Please read the customs handbook, it is available in shops selling government forms, stationery etc.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:43 pm

Hmm, should not be a problem so long as the scope IS NOT presented along with the gun whether mounted on the gun or not! Not my words, read it in the Exim policy sometime back...

Dev is right do a google search for the Exim policy and customs baggage rules, they are both on the net (available verbatim at several different sites). Do feel free to post questions on whatever part of either you find confusing... trust me, there will be parts you will find confoundedly confusing! :P

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: rifle scope

Post by axp817 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:42 pm

Just recently, my dad got a Winchester model 70, chambered in .30-06 in India. It came with a scope, I am not sure what kind, but it isn't anything nice, and he wishes to replace it with something nicer.

He was planning on picking one up on his next trip to the U.S., and I was/am assigned the task of finding a good one for him. I was planning on starting a thread asking for opinions from fellow members, when I came across this thread. Boy, will it suck bigtime if it turns out that scopes can't be imported or if there is a hefty duty on them. #@#$#@!.

-Naren

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:25 am

Naren,

Scopes unless presented mounted on a gun OR along with a gun are treated as regular telescopes/ binocs and can be imported as baggage without any problems. The applicable duty structure is the same as that for normal baggage... duty free allowance up to INR 15k of overseas purchases(I could be wrong, this may have been revised upwards), and anything over that is charged duty @ approx 30% or so...

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: rifle scope

Post by axp817 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:55 pm

That doesn't sound bad at all. Thanks so much for the information Abhijeet.

-Naren