Is it safe to shoot Hypervel .22lr Rounds in an old Rifle?

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Is it safe to shoot Hypervel .22lr Rounds in an old Rifl

Post by TC » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Something that are really fun to shoot-up are old aerosol cans - especially if they have some pressure remaining. Be careful with hair spray or deoderant cans however because the cloud of `perfumed` vapour will make you stink to blazes if the cloud blows your way !
Grumpy,
I have tried old aerosol cans but luckily was spared of the stink ... Something I really enjoyed long ago was putting a couple of .22 tracers into tin cans filled with petrol from 25 mt. Too bad the tracers have vanished from the Indian market, just like the dust shot and .22 LR shot shells. But have you ever tried stacks of wet newspapers?

TC
Well TC Sir

You Bet!!! :D :D I do visit Kolkota once in a while as my Brother lives there...Would love to learn plinking tactics from you!! :D May be in next IFG Kolkata meet I can join you guys!! :)

-Nishith
Well well :D That would be a real treat :D
Hopefully my then I will have a new .22 rifle... high capacity magazine... smooth action... capable of rapid fire.... good open sights... crisp trigger.... something I had been missing for quite some time :D

TC

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Hmm .....
`Britisher` and `will 'resident deity 'and 'God of all things related to firearms' suit his highness more?` ?
Now you`re taking the piss.
The peasants are getting overly confident/cocky I think.
Regards,
HRH Prince Grumpy, Supreme deity and Master of all I survey.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:35 pm

What .22 lr semi-auto do you have Dev ?
It`s always worth getting in a couple of spare recoil buffers.
The Brownell recoil buffer for Marlins is $8.99 and the Volquartsen Ruger 10/22 buffer is $11.99. I reckon the Volquartsen recoil buffer is definitely better than the standard and makes the rifle feel nicer in operation.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi-HRH Prince Grumpy, Supreme deity and Master of all that you survey.

I have a Marlin Model 60 circa 1984. Will the Volquartsen recoil buffer fit this one. I am at the moment considering doing some work on the 8 pound or so trigger pull. There is a presentation by a guy called Arrow Dodger on the Marlin owners forum. The trigger squeeze makes shooting half inch groups at 50m a bit tough. After a few shots the heart beat and breathing really starts messing the sight picture.

Regards,

Dev
P.S. Thought you had learnt how to quote by now. ;-)
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:08 pm

No, Volquartsen only make Ruger bits - the Marlin recoil buffer is VERY different to the Ruger 10/22.
The Marlin 60 is a good value for money rifle. I had - come to think of it, I haven`t been told it`s sold so probably still have - a Papoose, the take down version. The standard sights are rubbish but with a scope fitted - and a moderator to give some weight to the front end - it`ll shoot groups of about 1 inch at 50 yards. The standard trigger gets better with use but I stoned mine anyway.
If I can`t be bothered it takes me ages to learn anything ..... and anyway,I think littering-up a post with boxed quotes is a waste of space and looks unattractive.
Are you still in prison or have they let you out ? If you`re still locked-up I`ll send you a cake ..... I won`t put a file in it but a hand grenade will rattle your dentures somewhat.
( Terry Pratchett )

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Naah sifu, unlike in your stellar past, I haven't been a guest at the bar and grill hotel, so shamed to admit this. ;-)
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Tut ..... and I thought Indians were such polite and respectful people.
That`s the trouble with the youth of today - no manners and no respect for their elders and betters.
( The `bar and grille hotel` ? Haven`t heard that before ...... Rather good innit ..... )
( Terry Pratchett )