Purchasing Ammo: Trivia

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Purchasing Ammo: Trivia

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:07 pm

Little details around procuring ammo. Information I did not find anywhere and unlikely to affect most of us but still good to know.

1. Ammo quantity purchase quota: It runs according to calendar year and is not related to the date the of license is issued or when the firearm is purchased or endorsed. E.g. if you have a 25/50 quota you can purchase a maximum 50 bullets in a Jan-Dec cycle.

2. Ammo can be purchased only AFTER you have purchased your firearm. If you have a license issued for a .22 rifle and want to purchase the ammo to practice with range or state association rifles, you can't. I faced this issue for months.

3. On a new license you can buy the ammo at the same time you purchase the firearm. However, should you only purchase the firearm and decide to go to a separate dealer to buy the ammo, you would only be able to purchase it once your have got the firearm endorsed on your license from the relevant authority, in my case the Delhi Police Licensing branch.
I bought a rifle from NRAI and promptly drove to a dealer to procure some ammo (NRAI did not have it in stock) only to be infomred that I can't but ammo unless the rifle is endorsed on my license.

4. You cannot purchase ammo on behalf of others even if you have an authority letter and license. Ammo can only be purchased by the preson who holds the license and s/he has to be physically present.

I understand some of these practices might not be as per the Arms Act- and work merely at the whims of individual authorities, but nonetheless exist. If they don't please point it out as these are based on my experience with licensing department or arms dealers.

Feel free to pitch in if you have more inputs.

Regards,
SS

For Advertising mail webmaster
renjith747
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Purchasing Ammo: Trivia

Post by renjith747 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:31 pm

SS wrote:
You cannot purchase ammo on behalf of others even if you have an authority letter and license. Ammo can only be purchased by the preson who holds the license and s/he has to be physically present.
I asked this question to an arms dealer(kerala)he replied me that a person(not a retainer) on behalf of me can purchase ammo with my original license and an authorisation letter.In that letter of authorisation I have to attest the signature of the person who is collecting ammo for me.He also had to give one copy of photo and an id proof(his). In that letter one have to clearly mention the no of cartridges to be purchased.

I think this will work for you also.

Regards
Renjith.

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks for sharing SS.

What would happen in the following scenario

Person A has only one weapon endorsed on their license and they possess 25 cartridges for that. Person A sells their gun to person B. Can person B purchase A's ammo?

If yes, then how will it be endorsed? If not, then what does A do with that ammo?

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:01 pm

:?

Considering the overly controlled processes I doubt selling ammo amongst individuals would be allowed. Will wait for experts to respond.

Renjith,

I had the same understanding, though was corrected today by a gentlemen regarded (in the Delhi shooting circles) as very well informed! Would be glad to be proven wrong - will only work in my favour. I will speak to a few more dealers.

Regards,
SS

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi All,

I was planning to buy ammo. A dealer told me that I can buy ammo only after completing an year from the issue of my license and not calender year (Jan-Dec). As I expected such difficulties I might face so I secured 25 pops in locker and left open with the remaining ammo with the gun (of course that in the safe too).

I have also been told I can make a request to the concerned police officer (in my case DCP) for increase in ammo mentioning the reason for such request. No idea if my request will be considered.

Cheers!
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:58 am

ss answers for your questions
1.yes
2.yes,you have to have a weapon,but there is no law stating this.
3.this just to bully
4.yes you can purchase with an authorisation letter from the licence holder.
kandarp,
if A sells ammo to B,then it has to be entered in your licence book stating that A sold ammo to B with details of licence number and catridge quantity .
if A sells the weapon he can sell the ammo to a dealer,or if he is going to buy a nother weapon,he may retain the ammo.
this is to the best of my knowledge.
regards
dr.jk

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:28 am

Dr. JK- will reconfirm with a few more dealers if they accept authorisation letter in Delhi. Thanks

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:42 am

dr.jayakumar wrote: kandarp,
if A sells ammo to B,then it has to be entered in your licence book stating that A sold ammo to B with details of licence number and catridge quantity .
if A sells the weapon he can sell the ammo to a dealer,or if he is going to buy a nother weapon,he may retain the ammo.
this is to the best of my knowledge.
regards
dr.jk
Thanks for the info, but I wonder how one could keep ammunition without a weapon endorsed on their license.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:01 pm

in the licence there are two parts to it: one for the weapon and another for the ammo. one does not need to have a weapon as well as ammo endorsed in the licence as far as i can see there is noting in the arms act/rules. to say that ammo can not be had without the weapon endorsed init.

eh can one have weapon onit with the ammo?
which is the reverse of the statement no ammo without weapon.

after all the law will see that you have your licence and init states that you can have a weapon and so and so ammo.
as long as you have valid licence for the weapon and ammo then whats the problem.

those who make their own laws are outside of the law.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.