Anyone hunt with a bow and arrow?

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:52 pm

May I ask a dumb one? How does the wood get so bendy? What happens during the curing process six inch long pvc pipe ? In the north east we used to play with simple bamboo ones strung with a jute rope. The arrows were bamboo and we had fun till some grown up came running screaming,"you'll shoot an eye out."

Regards,

Dev
Mark";p="5846 wrote: Mack The Knife,

Here are my explanations of what is happening in the pictures.

Here the wood has been split in half with a wedge and sledge hammer, you can see the tools in the background. When split like this they are now called "staves"

Here is the initial rough shaping. I use a hatchet, but one about 1/2 the size shown here.

Here shows how much is taken down either with the hatchet or with a tool called a drawknife. Notice the second stave from the right- you can cut down a green tree, trim it to this size and place it in a 6" PVC pipe with a 20 watt light bulb and leave for a week, it will be cured for you.

Here is the only important thing to do when making a bow, it is called checking the "tiller" which means keeping both sides of the bow balanced under draw. I do not use a jig like this, I just bend them over my knee or bend one against the ground then turn the bow over and check the other side against it. The stiffer side gets shaved down a little more.

This is a scraper, they work good not only for removing wood but giving a fine finish.

Shaping the handle with a file, just hold it in your hand and remove the stuff that should not be there :)

Using a round file to file a guide where the string goes at the tips of the bow.

A completed bow with a recently split stave.

Never go camping with this gentleman!
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.