DIY KNIFE SET 3

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Re: DIY KNIFE SET 3

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:06 am

Running out of space in my flat, otherwise I was thinking of investing in a leather stitching machine!! ;)

CMG, what about a trip to Dharavi to obtain some medium thickness leather? These shoemakers have only the very hard, 5 mm thickness used for soles, or the soft 1 mm used for uppers. Nothing in between! I use the thick one for sheaths, but it's a pain to work!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

For Advertising mail webmaster
pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:15 am

@kshitij
Nice work :cheers:

essdee1972 wrote:Running out of space in my flat, otherwise I was thinking of investing in a leather stitching machine!! ;)

CMG, what about a trip to Dharavi to obtain some medium thickness leather? These shoemakers have only the very hard, 5 mm thickness used for soles, or the soft 1 mm used for uppers. Nothing in between! I use the thick one for sheaths, but it's a pain to work!
what about this Saturday

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:24 pm

essdee, pratik,
If any of you guys go there do give me a call, need few sheets for myself. I am thinking that building a sheath individually for every knife will be a bit too much :P
Plan on making a tool roll kind of a case where i can put all the knives and roll them up for storage. Heres what i have in mind:
knife+roll-case.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:56 pm

kshitij wrote:essdee, pratik,
If any of you guys go there do give me a call, need few sheets for myself. I am thinking that building a sheath individually for every knife will be a bit too much :P
Plan on making a tool roll kind of a case where i can put all the knives and roll them up for storage. Heres what i have in mind:
knife+roll-case.jpg
Good idea Kshitij for 'collective storage' (y)
But when you're carrying a particular knife - you do need individual sheaths - right?
SD - we need your "TKH" (technical know how) on 'Leather Craft' :D
Briha

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:20 pm

Brihaji, yes will make one or two individual sheaths also. But i rarely carry the knife on me. It is generally in the car or some kind of back pack.
The knives i have made myself are yet to be thoroughly field tested. So when i do take them out, I end up carrying most of them so that I can try any that i want to. Hence the idea of a roll case. Plus a bundle of knives is eaier to keep away from the wives attention as compared to a bunch of them scattered all over the place :D
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:36 pm

kshitij wrote:Brihaji, yes will make one or two individual sheaths also. But i rarely carry the knife on me. It is generally in the car or some kind of back pack.
The knives i have made myself are yet to be thoroughly field tested. So when i do take them out, I end up carrying most of them so that I can try any that i want to. Hence the idea of a roll case. Plus a bundle of knives is eaier to keep away from the wives attention as compared to a bunch of them scattered all over the place :D
Please see this video on Sheath Making for knives....very instructive :D
Making a Basic Folded Knife Sheath
- YouTube

Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:34 am

Gentlemen, this weekend I am basically tied up, bound and gagged at home, cleaning up after a paint job. Even the puppy has got POP in his fur!!

Next weekend will work, or better still, mid to end May, when BH and Jr are off for the holidays, leaving me free to play with metal and leather and wood!! Weekends of 16th & 23rd April, I can spend full day in the august company of CMGians!

Brihaji, no technical expertise required in making sheaths.

1. Draw a rough outline on the leather, both sides.
2. Put the leather (the sole leather, 5 mm armour plating!) in warm water for a few hours till soaked and soft. Soaking should be throughout the thickness. Slow is better here.
3. Cut it using awl. DO NOT USE SCISSORS. They give a very very bad result. Been there, done that.
4. Wet it again. Again, slow and steady, like the tortoise.
5. Wrap knife in cling film, basically this waterproofs the knife against the wet leather. Do not make too thick a wrapping, else the sheath will come out loose. Cling film is basically an evil substance which sticks everywhere except where you want it to stick, so please ensure there are no bumps and major unevenness. This will not be good for the final sheath.
6. Hold the cut out pieces of leather around the clingfilmed knife, in the form you want the final sheath to be. Fix the edges with binder clips. Put a lot of binder clips, ensuring the entire edges of the two halves of the sheath are tight against each other, without gaps. Ensure leather is thoroughly wet throughout its thickness. If reqd, soak it again before this step.
7. Let dry. Leather will conform to the shape. 24 hrs or so. Do not force dry with hairdryer or sunlight or something. Again, tortoise mode, slowwwwwwww. You don't want non uniform drying to create wrinkles!
8. Sketch line for stitches. Mark holes. I do 5 mm or 1/8".
9. Use hole punch or drill / Dremel with 1 mm bit to drill holes.
10. Stitch. I personally use double needle method to stitch leather. Wax the thread beforehand.
11. After stitching is finished, rub a candle over the stitches, use hairdryer to melt the wax and impregnate the threads. This makes the thread slightly stronger (I hope) and also improves waterproofing.
12. Use Dremel sander or manual sanding to smoothen or shape the edges.
13. I normally sand the surface of the leather to remove the pre-existing polish / colour and then colour and polish it myself. First coat leather conditioner, then shoe colour, finally neutral polish. Brands I use are Woly or Hush Puppies. Final polish can be the old time "spit and polish". Replace "spit" with water for hygiene purposes :)
14. If you want a logo or your initials, you can use leather stamping tools or burn the leather with soldering iron. Use an old soldering iron, as the burnt leather forms a very adhesive gunk. Do this before polishing.

Do all this in a well-ventilated place. Wear a mask, or at least a handkerchief, bandit style. Leather dust is bad. Don't blame me if your lungs look like an abandoned shoe factory 20 years hence! Do not let kids or animals get too close when working. Do not let animals come close to the leather even when it is stored away. Dogs love to chew on it!

Voila! You are now the proud owner of a sheath you made yourself!! Isn't it far better than a purchased one???
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:59 pm

Looks great- excellent job chief!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:12 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Gentlemen, this weekend I am basically tied up, bound and gagged at home, cleaning up after a paint job. Even the puppy has got POP in his fur!!

Next weekend will work, or better still, mid to end May, when BH and Jr are off for the holidays, leaving me free to play with metal and leather and wood!! Weekends of 16th & 23rd April, I can spend full day in the august company of CMGians!

Brihaji, no technical expertise required in making sheaths.

1. Draw a rough outline on the leather, both sides.
2. Put the leather (the sole leather, 5 mm armour plating!) in warm water for a few hours till soaked and soft. Soaking should be throughout the thickness. Slow is better here.
3. Cut it using awl. DO NOT USE SCISSORS. They give a very very bad result. Been there, done that.
4. Wet it again. Again, slow and steady, like the tortoise.
5. Wrap knife in cling film, basically this waterproofs the knife against the wet leather. Do not make too thick a wrapping, else the sheath will come out loose. Cling film is basically an evil substance which sticks everywhere except where you want it to stick, so please ensure there are no bumps and major unevenness. This will not be good for the final sheath.
6. Hold the cut out pieces of leather around the clingfilmed knife, in the form you want the final sheath to be. Fix the edges with binder clips. Put a lot of binder clips, ensuring the entire edges of the two halves of the sheath are tight against each other, without gaps. Ensure leather is thoroughly wet throughout its thickness. If reqd, soak it again before this step.
7. Let dry. Leather will conform to the shape. 24 hrs or so. Do not force dry with hairdryer or sunlight or something. Again, tortoise mode, slowwwwwwww. You don't want non uniform drying to create wrinkles!
8. Sketch line for stitches. Mark holes. I do 5 mm or 1/8".
9. Use hole punch or drill / Dremel with 1 mm bit to drill holes.
10. Stitch. I personally use double needle method to stitch leather. Wax the thread beforehand.
11. After stitching is finished, rub a candle over the stitches, use hairdryer to melt the wax and impregnate the threads. This makes the thread slightly stronger (I hope) and also improves waterproofing.
12. Use Dremel sander or manual sanding to smoothen or shape the edges.
13. I normally sand the surface of the leather to remove the pre-existing polish / colour and then colour and polish it myself. First coat leather conditioner, then shoe colour, finally neutral polish. Brands I use are Woly or Hush Puppies. Final polish can be the old time "spit and polish". Replace "spit" with water for hygiene purposes :)
14. If you want a logo or your initials, you can use leather stamping tools or burn the leather with soldering iron. Use an old soldering iron, as the burnt leather forms a very adhesive gunk. Do this before polishing.

Do all this in a well-ventilated place. Wear a mask, or at least a handkerchief, bandit style. Leather dust is bad. Don't blame me if your lungs look like an abandoned shoe factory 20 years hence! Do not let kids or animals get too close when working. Do not let animals come close to the leather even when it is stored away. Dogs love to chew on it!

Voila! You are now the proud owner of a sheath you made yourself!! Isn't it far better than a purchased one???
SD!!!!
Your instructions are :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
Please take my 2 cents worth advice - Make a 3 min clip & post it on youtube :D
Well done bro :cheers:
Briha