Cheaper Alternative to wicked edge

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
anonymusneo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Cheaper Alternative to wicked edge

Post by anonymusneo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:00 pm

For Advertising mail webmaster
Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Re: Cheaper Alternative to wicked edge

Post by Moin. » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Not really. Both are guided sharpening systems yes, but no comparison between what you can acheive with each. The price difference between the two says it all. The lanskys really great for smaller blades, i have used it extensively. The clamps not that great and neithers the mounting system.

Regards
Moin.

P.S: Would be great pasting all info on sharpening in one thread rather than making a new one on every link you find interesting.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Moin. wrote:Not really. Both are guided sharpening systems yes, but no comparison between what you can acheive with each. The price difference between the two says it all. The lanskys really great for smaller blades, i have used it extensively. The clamps not that great and neithers the mounting system.
Regards
Moin.
P.S: Would be great pasting all info on sharpening in one thread rather than making a new one on every link you find interesting.
Hi Moin,
> A close friend back from the US gifted me this "Lansky".....

> I'm yet to try it, however would appreciate your views / comments in using the above :D
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:35 pm

I too have the same Lansky, Brihaji, and coincidentally, mine was a gift too! I use it for my Vic and multitool blades.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:38 pm

essdee1972 wrote:I too have the same Lansky, Brihaji, and coincidentally, mine was a gift too! I use it for my Vic and multitool blades.
Hey that's great :D
Can it be used for larger folders & fixed blade knives?
Briha

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:23 am

Dear Brihasir and Dada

I have exactly the same sharpener but by smiths... I only use it on cheapo knitchen knifes... i would not use this on any of the expensive blades. The tapering rods the best feature and is very handy for a quick touch up on scalloped serrated blades...

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:52 am

It "can" be used on the large blades, but I am somehow chary of pull-through sharpeners. Maybe something I read on the net?!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:34 am

Moin. » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:23 am
Dear Brihasir and Dada
I have exactly the same sharpener but by smiths... I only use it on cheapo knitchen knifes... i would not use this on any of the expensive blades. The tapering rods the best feature and is very handy for a quick touch up on scalloped serrated blades...
Regards
Moin.

postby essdee1972 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:52 am
It "can" be used on the large blades, but I am somehow chary of pull-through sharpeners. Maybe something I read on the net?!
Cheers!
EssDee

Thanks Moin / Essdee,
> May as well try it on my kitchen knives for starters & take chances with my more expensive folders & fixed blades :D
:cheers:
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:47 pm

Brihaji, when we get the next shipment from knifecenter, you can put in a Lansky or Spyderco. And if you do decide on a Wicked Edge, can I persuade you to go with a Lansky and with the money you'll save, gift Moin and me some knives??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Cheers!

EssDee