Katars from the Metropolitan Museum of Art

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
estcrh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Katars from the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Post by estcrh » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:36 pm

The Indian katar (jamdhar/jamadher) has undergone very little change in form during many centuries. This can be seen by studying old paintings, miniatures and other ancient art. It is known that Ibn Battuta, an Algerian travelling in India in the 14th century, described an attack with a katar, but so far the roots and the age of the katar have not been researched further back. Jens Nordlunde has traced it back to Orissa in the 10th century, showing a form very similar to how it looks today.

The Metropolitan Museum has 82 katars in their collection, of these only 2 are on display and 63 are available for viewing online. The majority of the museums katar were willed to the museum by George C. Stone, it is a superb and varied collection and yet it is practically unknown and unseen. Many of the images are high resolution which allows the fine details to be brought out with editing.

I have gone through and edited all of the images and created many new ones including some with incredible detail. I have also created a pinterest site and added the images of each katar there so that anyone can view them. Unfortunately there is not a lot of info attached to the museums katars as far as region of manufacture etc. These are not your typical katar such as you would see on ebay etc, many of these are from the 16th and 17th century and reflect an advanced degree of workmanship and artistry, they are both beautiful and deadly.

http://www.pinterest.com/worldantiques/ ... t-collect/

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Katars from the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:54 pm

Thanks for sharing estcrh - some lovely work, fine detail! :D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

estcrh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Katars from the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Post by estcrh » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 pm

ckkalyan wrote:Thanks for sharing estcrh - some lovely work, fine detail! :D
Your welcome, the Metropolitan Museum has the largest and most diverse collection of Indian knives and daggers that I know of, I am in the process of editing all of the other images besides katars and will post a link when I am done here are a few examples.
zzz forum 1200 3.jpg
zzz forum 1200 4.jpg
zzzzzforum 1200.jpg
zzz forum 1200 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.