Blades on camera ..... TC

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Blades on camera ..... TC

Post by TC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Have been collecting blades for years but never really bothered to shoot them... though photography remains a pastime. Have been doing a few shoots recently but only selected blades with appeal of some sort.... Hope you guys like the results... Adding captions only where necessary.

Camera used : Wife's Canon ixus because of its brilliant lens and low light performance. Used Photoshop for final results.

The 1794 Madras Infantry officer's sword I collected years ago...

The Austrian Glock field knife a friend presented recently.

Fairbairn Sykes.. the famous British commando knife

Dad's bowie..came from the US... This blade is special..

AK 47 bayonet...This chap is a fake... but looks cool.. brother got it from China !

The Victorinox Kirpan

Closeup of the Kirpan

This is a folding knuckle knife bought in Korea years ago. 44C blade and stainless steel grips..

The Fairbairn Applegate fighting folder... gift from a dear brother..

WW II German paratrooper knife bought in Sholigen... blade is free flowing, uses gravity or a small swing of the hand to open or close

A traditional French folder .... but made in Spain

Skean Dubh.. a traditional knife acquired from Scotland. Highlanders used to carry these inside the socks worn with kilts

Pair of Balisongs... The black one is a Muelay... I bought the steel one from a knife maker in Manila.

Handmade Kris bought in Malaysia... The ones with more etchings and better steel are frightfully expensive

Muelay axe... real tough one.. comes with a high quality leather sheath

The Glock field knife in the outdoors

My EDC gear... The Izula was a gift from my dear brother Moin.... :D

A Nubian knife I picked up from a village at Aswan, Egypt

Couple of throwers I picked up for a song in either Hong Kong or Manila... the broad head is a beauty...

Dad's Kuhkri...

Picked up this one for some 100 INR from an old woman at the night market in Temple Street, Hong Kong. The lock is at the top of the frame !

Vic made this one for Mauser...

This is the only Wenger bought in Switzerland. I used to have a craze for Victorinox.. had at least a dozen more... made perfect gifts during recessions :D

Not too many people may have seen these Vic type knives issued to soldiers of erstwhile USSR. This one and the belt was actually sold by a soldier in Berlin when the Wall came down. The solders were trapped for weeks before they were flown back. Many sold their kits to people looking for souvenirs

Look closely... USSR is marked clearly in the middle of the grip

Stilettos always caught my fancy. The small one bought from a small shop in the Reunion Islands is three times more expensive than the big one bought in Rome :(

The Shin Gunto... a WWII Japanese katana issued to NCOs... Have given it away

A Muelay fighter that went as a gift

Dad's salvaged this Khukri from somewhere.. the sheath and grip were missing. He got the sheath made from walnut and made the grips himself with high grade ebonite

That's all for now ... there are more blades but too ugly to capture imagination ...

:cheers:
TC

PS : Edited the post and added captions
Last edited by TC on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Blades on camera ..... TC

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi TC,
> Great collection _ absolute antiques :D
> Two things caught my fancy....
1. Rex Applegate / Fairbaines blade - lovely contours :D
2. The Muela Kirpan (I have a similar one)
> Was sorry to note that you gave away the 'Samurai' :(
> I know & realize 'Blades' need looking after (every-time I do it my better 1/2 wants to know if I'm going on a blood letting campaign :lol: )
> Keep them coming!!!!
Have a nice week-end :D
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi Brihaji,
Thank you for the kind words. But placed beside your collection, this is nothing.
The Kirpan is not Muela... but the Victorinox I talked about once (there is a closeup I shot especially for you) This is one from the first lot which also had a bigger one with lines from the Holy Guru Granth Sahib inscribed on the blade. It ran into trouble and subsequently got withdrawn. Muela later made the small kirpans under licence.
I have stopped buying blades and have already gifted/ sold quite a few. I guess nobody actually needs more than four knives, lets say five if you are a chef as well :lol:

Regards

TC

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Wonderful collections ......
TC -is there anything as Tarzan's blade ?
Keep them coming.......

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Basu wrote:Wonderful collections ......
TC -is there anything as Tarzan's blade ?
Keep them coming.......

Basu
Basuda you are always a fountain a humour. No, there is no such thing as Tarzan's Blade... :lol:

Regards
TC

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 pm

TC, beautiful collection, is that a Fairburn-Sykes WW2 commando dagger there? It's a classic. Also the Russian knife is superb, really a collectors piece. When we first got T-72 tanks, a similar knife came in the kit, but our depot civilians quickly cottoned on the value and substituted it with ground hacksaw blades. Do I also see a Malaysian Kris, the wavy blade? These were originally designed to stab and break off the handle I think.
Feast for the eyes, thanks TC.
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 pm

So the cat's finally out of the bag. Having seen all of your blades before my pick from the lot would still be the old bowie. What a nice blade and i know what sentimental value it holds for you. Thanks for posting the collection TcDa.

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:01 am

Lanceman wrote:TC, beautiful collection, is that a Fairburn-Sykes WW2 commando dagger there? It's a classic. Also the Russian knife is superb, really a collectors piece. When we first got T-72 tanks, a similar knife came in the kit, but our depot civilians quickly cottoned on the value and substituted it with ground hacksaw blades. Do I also see a Malaysian Kris, the wavy blade? These were originally designed to stab and break off the handle I think.
Feast for the eyes, thanks TC.
Hi Lanceman,
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, that is a Sykes bought from Sheffield years ago. Getting the Russian kit knife was sheer luck. Thanks for sharing the story on the T-72 tanks. The civvies do create a lot of problems. Friends I have in the forces keep telling. But the hacksaw blades take the cake :lol:
Yes the curved one is a Kris I bought in Malayasia. Always wanted one. The handle is indeed joined to the blade by a thin rod. So can be broken by a strong arm.
Thanks for the appreciation once again.

Regards
TC

PS: I am sure you recognised the WWII German paratrooper knife. The tenth one from top with olive green handle. The only "gravity" or swing blade I have in my collection. Its made in Sholigen, Bought during a trip.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:07 am

Moin. wrote:So the cat's finally out of the bag. Having seen all of your blades before my pick from the lot would still be the old bowie. What a nice blade and i know what sentimental value it holds for you. Thanks for posting the collection TcDa.

Regards
Moin.
Moin Dear,
Ya, dad's bowie is the most precious to me. Last time when my brother came down from Delhi that's the only one he wanted to keep, despite that fact that he has no fascination for guns or knives.
Thanks brother. You made me learn a lot and possibly rekindled my lost interest in sharp steel :D

TCda

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:46 am

TC,

Fantastic collection and great photographs too.Many thanks for sharing.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 am

No I didn't recognise the German knife, fantastic. The F-S commando dagger sheath had "butterfly wings" to strap it on to your forearm, under the sleeve! It was like a magic trick, pulling out that deadly sliver of steel from nowhere. Wouldn't want to meet those guys in the dark!
My passion is more towards modern utility knives, but I Enjoyed each one of these. Thanks for sharing.
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

abhiram
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by abhiram » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:58 am

TC wrote:Hi Brihaji,
Thank you for the kind words. But placed beside your collection, this is nothing.
The Kirpan is not Muela... but the Victorinox I talked about once (there is a closeup I shot especially for you) This is one from the first lot which also had a bigger one with lines from the Holy Guru Granth Sahib inscribed on the blade. It ran into trouble and subsequently got withdrawn. Muela later made the small kirpans under licence.
I have stopped buying blades and have already gifted/ sold quite a few. I guess nobody actually needs more than four knives, lets say five if you are a chef as well :lol:

Regards

TC
Hi TC Sir,

I purchased two of the new Muela Small Kirpans recently. They were displayed among other Muelas. They have "Deg Tegh Fateh" in Punjabi inscribed on the blade; but have "Muela" written instead of Victorinox near the handle. On the barcode label behind the sheath, it is printed as "Imported by Victorinox" and their Mumbai address. Probably it is still marketed by them.

Regards,

Abhiram
- In Omnia Paratus -

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Abhiram wrote....
Hi TC Sir,
I purchased two of the new Muela Small Kirpans recently. They were displayed among other Muelas. They have "Deg Tegh Fateh" in Punjabi inscribed on the blade; but have "Muela" written instead of Victorinox near the handle. On the barcode label behind the sheath, it is printed as "Imported by Victorinox" and their Mumbai address. Probably it is still marketed by them.
Regards,
Abhiram

You are right - The Muela Kirpan I purchased also had the same sticker saying - "Imported by Victorinox" :D
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Vikram wrote:TC,

Fantastic collection and great photographs too.Many thanks for sharing.

Best-
Vikram
Thanks Vikram, Its always a pleasure :D

TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:47 pm

Lanceman wrote:No I didn't recognise the German knife, fantastic. The F-S commando dagger sheath had "butterfly wings" to strap it on to your forearm, under the sleeve! It was like a magic trick, pulling out that deadly sliver of steel from nowhere. Wouldn't want to meet those guys in the dark!
My passion is more towards modern utility knives, but I Enjoyed each one of these. Thanks for sharing.
Lanceman, the German paratrooper blade is just fantastic.. simple, efficient tool. There's a spike too, folded on the other side of the grip, and just as long as the blade. The FS commando, as you have rightly said, is a creature to avoid in darkness. Thanks again.

Regards
TC