modern knives

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

modern knives

Post by Subal das » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:56 am

I will post here reviews of different knives, please join if you come across of some interesting specimen.

Best folder, which only can be owned for $50. Very serious folder from one of best knife fighting teacher on earth. If you are planing to start learning some knife fighting stile like kali, escrima dont waste your time searching - Kelly Worden is the best. No BS, real life staff.

http://stores.kellyworden.com/Detail.bok?no=29

Decription: With massive stainless steel liners, perfect pivot-to-the-blade stud, geometry and secure grip handle design, these formidable tools will satisfy the performance needs of demanding professionals. Ambidextrous Thumb Stud Opener, Serrated Thumb Ramp for Slip Resistance, Dual 420J Stainless Liners, 6061-T6 Aircraft Aluminum Backspacer, Lanyard Hole, Thumb Ramp for Easy Opening, Locking Liner, Teflon® Washers for Silky-Smooth Action, AUS-8 Stainless Blade Steel, "Custom Touch" Torx® Fastener Construction. Handle: ZYTEL® Tip Down Carry Pocket Clip Blade Length: Large 3.90" (98 mm) Model No. 11291 Large Combo $64.99(Overall length 9.5" long (240 mm)
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

For Advertising mail webmaster
Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: modern knives

Post by Subal das » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Modern materials and blade concepts blend with traditional Jambiya design to make a true modern-day fighter.

by Leroy Thompson
The Jordanian Army offers some very interesting contrasts. Although many Arab traditions are maintained, the Jordanian armed forces are also among the most modern in the region. King Abdullah is a graduate of Sandhurst and served as an officer in the British Army. He also commanded the Jordanian Special Forces, which are rated as one of the best special operations units in the Middle East. Each year Jordan hosts the Special Operations Forces Exhibition and Conference, which is widely attended by special ops personnel from around the world.

The Jordanian Combat Knife is an excellent example of the blending of tradition and modernity in the Jordanian Army. In appearance it resembles the traditional Jambiya, which has a curved blade and a distinctive symmetrical handle that sweeps outward at the pommel and forms a crossguard. In many Middle Eastern countries, the Jambiya is worn near the center of the belt and often has a dramatically curved sheath. Frequently, the handle material of a Jambiya reflects the status of its owner, and when I worked in the Middle East on security jobs, I saw some valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars—in some cases because of historical association. Although worn to some extent for decoration, the Jambiya can be an effective weapon. Interestingly, the one time I had a Jambiya drawn against me, the user used the ice pick grip, which I do not feel lends itself well to this blade design.

Specifications
The Jordanian Combat Knife blends some features of the traditional Jambiya with features of a modern military close combat knife and, I think, does this very well. Reportedly, an influential Jordanian Sheikh monitored the design process to make sure that the traditional appearance was retained. The blade is of subdued Jambiya shape with an upsweep at the point. There is a top edge that runs over half the top of the blade. It isn’t really a false edge, but it is not fully sharpened either. It would serve for an upward cut, though.
-- Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:38 pm --

similar ideas from 2009 CRKT catalog, by knife designer James Williams
here is the catalog itself
http://rapidshare.com/files/289471718/C ... 9.pdf.html
Last edited by Subal das on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Extrema Ratio's 185° RAO

In June of 2006, the Italian military’s RAO (185° Rgt. Ricognizione ed Acquisizione Obietivi) (English translation: Target Acquisition Regiment) commissioned Extrema Ratio to design and build a compact field survival knife. The RAO is the only unit in the Italian Armed Forces tasked with long-range recons for the purpose of locating targets to be engaged by artillery, helicopters, aircraft and warships. This regiment operates in all possible theatres including Interforce and multinational operations such as Iraq and Afghanistan, with each soldier completing two years of hard training for survival in hostile surroundings. Simply put, their knife had to match the conditions and environment they work in. In other words, they wanted something that wouldn’t break under the ever-changing world of combat operations, as well as a tool that could be used to improvise when nothing else was available.

The requirements the RAO placed on Extrema Ratio demanded that the folding knife have an extremely strong blade designed for chopping, prying and cutting. Most importantly, the knife had to have the ability to be used as a folder or fixed blade, so a weak locking system was out of the question. The end result of this project is a unique knife design appropriately named the 185° RAO.

Length Opened: mm 261 (10.28 inches)

Length Closed: mm 142 (5.59 inches)

Blade Length: mm 120 (4.72 inches)

Weight: g 340 (11.99 ounces)

Weight with Sheath: g 505 (17.81 ounces)

Blade Thickness: mm 6 (0.24 inch)

Blade Steel: N690 cobalt stainless steel*

Blade Hardness: Rockwell 58 HRC

Grinding: Flat

Serrations: No

Handle: Anticorodal aluminum**

Clip: No

Sheath: Nylon

MOLLY Compatible Sheath: Yes

Diamond Sharpener: Yes

cost from Europe euro 290
from USA usd 295

lock can be better

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Subal das on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:03 pm

Costly yet great blade. No wonder all great things come at a price.

Regards.
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:10 am

yeah, costly but it is clear for me now, I do not have other choice but to pay for it ... knifopathia 8)

-- Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:24 am --

KABAR FIN Fixed Blade, Drop Point, KA-5554

great fixed blade fighter, modified D2 steel, mean blade razor sharp and will hold the edge very well. design is superior direct or reverse grip, this knife will move very fast. Attempt to dissarm this knife can be a very bad idea. In any way great blade to own for less then usd 100.

Blade Style: Spear Point

Blade Edge: Plain

Blade Finish: Powder E Coated

Blade Length: 4-7/8"

Blade Thickness: 3/16"

Steel Type: Premium D2 Stainless

Overall Length: 9-3/4"

Handle Material: GFN-PA66 (Glass Filled Nylon)

Handle Color: Black

Sheath: Glass Filled Nylon

Country of Manufacture: Taiwan
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:56 am

It's like you are making the wishlist of all knife enthusiasts. It's a pity we don't have access to such great blades in India and have to rely on imports at high prices. So have you placed the order for RAO??

Regards.
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:05 pm

not ordered yet, but certainly will in near future
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Chris Reeve Neil Roberts Warrior Knife 6.0" S30V Stainless Steel Blade

Chris Reeve knives were awarded best Manufacturing Quality by Blade mag in 2008

cost $329.00
Description
Model CRKNEIL1: Neil Roberts Warrior Knife
Chris Reeve Knives
The Neil Roberts Warrior Knife is dedicated to the memory of Petty Officer First Class Neil Roberts, killed in action during Operation Anaconda, Afghanistan 2002, and the first SEAL to lose his life in action since 1989. The SEAL community and all involved with this project honor his sacrifice.
Commissioned by retired Navy Chief Steven C. Bronson and designed by Bill Harsey with input from Chris Reeve, the Warrior knife is manufactured to the uncompromising standards for which Chris Reeve Knives is known worldwide.
A numbered edition of 184 knives is reserved for the Navy SEAL community - Neil Roberts graduated from Class #184.
Un-numbered but otherwise identical, the S Neil Roberts Warrior Knife is now available for users and collectors. The engraving on each knife reads "Neil Roberts BUD/S Class 184" - for the uninitiated BUD/S stands for Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL.
A trust fund at the Navy Federal Credit Union has been established to support the education of Neil Robert's son, Nathan. The price of each knife includes a $20 contribution to this fund.

Specifications:

* Blade Material: CPM S30V Stainless Steel
* Blade Hardness: 55-57 RC
* Blade Coating: KG Gun-Kote™
* Blade Length: 6.0" (152.4 mm)
* Blade Thickness: Full Tang 0.220" (5.6 mm)
* Overall Length: 11" (279.4mm)
* Handle Material: Sandblasted Black Canvas Micarta
* Screws: Stainless Steel Coated w/ KG Gun-Kote™
* Weight: 12.3 oz. (349 g)
* Sheath: Tan Combat Master by SpecOps Brand™

======================

if 320 backs is not what you can easily spend here is duplicate of this knife made by Shrade, almost the same only steel is 440C

NEW Schrade Knives Extreme Survival Knife SCHF3

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Schrade-Knives- ... %26ps%3D63

Last edited by Subal das on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Zake
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Zake » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:06 pm

Love the KABAR FIN. Hey Subal just a request, what do u think about Every Day Carry knives ? I mean what type of blade will you keep with you at all time, for safety purpose. Of Course considering all aspects, weight of the knife, easier to handle , more friction on the grip etc and of course legality.

Could you post a review of such a knife ?

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:06 pm

personally I'm caring 5.11 Tactical Series C.U.B. Master Knife Karambit 51006

but does no matter what you are carry, you have to be skilled to use it and most important have a realistic understanding of what you can achieve and what you cant with this knife.

before I got it, I was considering to buy Emmerson Super Karambit BT, but then I realized that it will not fit into my hand well. That is another problem wit buying knife on Internet.

Emmerson's knives with wave opening system is fastest deploying folders, if you are concern about how fast you can deploy your knife then it can be best choice.

CQC-15 great folder with titanium lock serrated 154 CM blade, G10 handle, good size 8.9 in.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:16 am

Duane Dieter-designed Masters of Defense “Close Quarters Defense” tactical folder.
BlackHawk CQD MK-1

if big is beautiful, then this folder is for you - overall Length: 9.500”/241mm

[youtube][/youtube]

main thing is that now you can own usd 260 tactical folder for usd 90-100, thanks to Taiwan manufacturers

The award-winning Blackhawk CQD Mark 1 Type E Knife is one of the most envied pieces of equipment in the tactical industry

Basic specs of the CQD Mark I, the AUS-8 blade is 3.75 inches long with an overall open length of 9.5 inches. Closed, the knife is a relatively long 5-5/8 inches, mostly due to the roughly ¾-inch the seatbelt/cord cutter adds to the frame. The handle is reinforced nylon with non-slip grip panels and stainless steel liners. The steel pocket clip can be reversed for tip-down, right- or left-hand carry. A carbide glass-breaking point is mounted on the front of the handle frame and, as mentioned before, a seatbelt/cord cutter notch is built into the rear of the grip. The blade is opened by means of ambidextrous thumb pegs and is secured in place by a high-strength button lock. As with many modern tactical folders, it is available in both straight edge and partially serrated versions.

SPECIFICATIONS:

* Blade Length: 3.750”/95mm
* Overall Length: 9.500”/241mm
* Blade Material: AUS8A stainless steel
* Blade Finish: Black PVD coating
* Edge type: Plain or partially serrated
* Handle Material: Injection-molded reinforced nylon with 420J stainless steel liners
* Pocket Clip: Right or left-side, tip-down carry
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Zake
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Zake » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:31 am

Oh !! Pretty !! I likey !! What's the price range man ??

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:09 am

Zake wrote:Oh !! Pretty !! I likey !! What's the price range man ??
$83.99

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum7488.php
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Zake
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Zake » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks Subal. It's out of stock in most of the websites.

ssmickey.32
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ssmickey.32 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Hello friends,

Here are some pics of Extrema Ratio's 185° RAO under severe test conditions.

I would like to purchase this Extrema Ratio's 185° RAO knife, can anyone please guide me from where to purchase???

Thank you so much...

Best regards..

ssmickey.32
When the power of love overcomes the love of power - the world will know peace.