BEST MATERIAL TO MAKE YOUR OWN KNIVES

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: BEST MATERIAL TO MAKE YOUR OWN KNIVES

Post by kshitij » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:41 am

Just found this link. Somewhat detailed classification of the various stainless grade steels that are used in knife making with their respective properties.

http://www.midwayusa.com/technicalnotes ... _chart.htm

Of the mentioned steels, 420, 420hc, 440 and 440c are easily available. I guess 75cr1 comes closest to 1095 among the locally available non-ss grade steels. Dont know if they are similar to the high carbon spring steels locally available. BG42 is imported for specific purposes and can be sourced if someone looks hard enough.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

For Advertising mail webmaster
AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: BEST MATERIAL TO MAKE YOUR OWN KNIVES

Post by AnandNair » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Thinking of trying my hand at knife making, went looking for A2/D2 tool steels and found the cost prohibitive (more than ordering a kinfe online). The nearest steel market from where i stay is around 90kms so had tasked a friend who was not much aware of such steel himself.
Can any member experienced in procuring such steels throw light on what is the likely price that i would be expected to pay for say a A2 or D2 tool steel or a 440c of 5mm thickness, 1.5inch width and around 15 inch long.
thanks
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.