Cheap Knife from Thailand.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Vivek.anand
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Cheap Knife from Thailand.

Post by Vivek.anand » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:51 pm

So recently i picked up a cheap flip knife from the street market in Bangkok, I know that many of you are serious collectors and won't even look twice towards it but i wanted one badly and it was really cheap to pass the opportunity. I bought it for 140 Bahts i.e. 280 Rs(Approx) so you can say its a decent price.

Now my main query is how i find out if it's any good apart from showing off and what can i do to improve the edge without spending much (considering the knife is itself so cheap) and also how to improve the knife over all.
IMG_20141218_142330.jpg
IMG_20141218_142351.jpg
IMG_20141218_142413.jpg
IMG_20141218_142438.jpg
IMG_20141218_142445.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vivek.anand on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Cheap Knife from Thailand.

Post by brihacharan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:30 pm

Vivek.anand wrote:So recently i picked up a cheap flip knife from the street market in Bangkok, I know that many of you are serious collectors and won't even look twice towards it but i wanted one badly and it was really cheap to pass the opportunity. I bought it for 140 Bahts i.e. 280 Rs(Approx) so you can say its a decent price.

Now my main query is how i find out if it's any good apart from showing off and what can i do to improve the edge cheaply and also how to improve the knife over all.
Post a picture your "cheap flip knife from the street market in Bangkok" :D
Get ready for a DIY session as proposed by our experts!!!
Briha

Vivek.anand
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Vivek.anand » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:45 pm

Yes sir, was just editing the post to attach pics. I love the DIY concept and really appreciated the response i got while buying a Air rifle, now looking forward to starting my knife collection.

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi Vivek;

Welcome to the Sharpest Section of IFG.

1) The blade looks large( 3 inch plus) , so to start with please do not EDC ( Every Day Carry).

2) Appears to be spring assisted opening ( like the CRKT Hissatsu) and the CRKT "LAWKS" safety seems to have been copied going by the button i see in the pic. Again i may be reading the pic wrong, but if it's a spring assisted opener more so a reason to not carry it. Great for collecting though.

Switchblade knives are not permitted as per Indian Arms Act. Good luck explaining to the cops and the magistrate the difference between an assisted opener and a switch blade :D
http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-information-240.html

Automatics are not permitted in most countries and even in the US only to Military or Law Enforcement. Microtech makes some of the coolest Automatic Knives ever made.CHeck out the Troddon or the Ultratech..

http://www.microtechknives.com/knives-2/our-knives/

Benchmade has some very nice ones too.

3) Construction seems to be solid with heavy duty liners. Is there blade play i mean does the blade wiggle at the pivot.

4) You need to buy a good sharpener like the lansky to get a decent edge on this blade or learn to sharpen free hand which is a very difficult technique to master.

As far as mods are concerned you can stone wash or acid etch the blade ( lot of youtube videos on doing it). But d'ont recommend dismantling if you are new to DIY jobs. Easiest would be to try and replace the plastic scales with nice wooden ones. Our Marthandan in this forum had changed the scales of his VIC SAK to wooden, Padauk scales to be precise. Please look up the thread.

Regards
Moin
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Hi Vivek.anand,
> Sound advice from 'Knife Guru' Moin :D
> Remember DIY is not every-ones' cup of chai!!!!!So be careful while attempting it!
> Good luck with your collection!
Briha

Vivek.anand
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Vivek.anand » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:45 pm

Moin. wrote:Hi Vivek;

Welcome to the Sharpest Section of IFG.

1) The blade looks large( 3 inch plus) , so to start with please do not EDC ( Every Day Carry).

2) Appears to be spring assisted opening ( like the CRKT Hissatsu) and the CRKT "LAWKS" safety seems to have been copied going by the button i see in the pic. Again i may be reading the pic wrong, but if it's a spring assisted opener more so a reason to not carry it. Great for collecting though.

Switchblade knives are not permitted as per Indian Arms Act. Good luck explaining to the cops and the magistrate the difference between an assisted opener and a switch blade :D
http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-information-240.html

Automatics are not permitted in most countries and even in the US only to Military or Law Enforcement. Microtech makes some of the coolest Automatic Knives ever made.CHeck out the Troddon or the Ultratech..

http://www.microtechknives.com/knives-2/our-knives/

Benchmade has some very nice ones too.

3) Construction seems to be solid with heavy duty liners. Is there blade play i mean does the blade wiggle at the pivot.

4) You need to buy a good sharpener like the lansky to get a decent edge on this blade or learn to sharpen free hand which is a very difficult technique to master.

As far as mods are concerned you can stone wash or acid etch the blade ( lot of youtube videos on doing it). But d'ont recommend dismantling if you are new to DIY jobs. Easiest would be to try and replace the plastic scales with nice wooden ones. Our Marthandan in this forum had changed the scales of his VIC SAK to wooden, Padauk scales to be precise. Please look up the thread.

Regards
Moin
Point 1 noted Sir. This is strictly for collection only. :agree:

With regards to point 2, you are right it is spring assisted. Also being a law student i am familiar with the points that's why i have a special lockable cupboard to store these collectibles.

The blade doesn't wiggle in any position in any way whatsoever so i thought that's a good sign, one of the reason i picked it up immediately.
I will buy a sharpening stone and hopefully with some luck get decent results.
I also like the idea of replacing the scales with wooden ones. Thank you for your inputs sir.

P.S. Due to my recent injury (tennis elbow in both my hands) i was thinking of buying one for carrying also. This one is for experimenting and collection actually for the real thing. :P

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Vivek.anand wrote:So recently i picked up a cheap flip knife from the street market in Bangkok, I know that many of you are serious collectors and won't even look twice towards it but i wanted one badly and it was really cheap to pass the opportunity. I bought it for 140 Bahts i.e. 280 Rs(Approx) so you can say its a decent price.

Now my main query is how i find out if it's any good apart from showing off and what can i do to improve the edge without spending much (considering the knife is itself so cheap) and also how to improve the knife over all.
IMG_20141218_142330.jpg
IMG_20141218_142351.jpg
IMG_20141218_142413.jpg
IMG_20141218_142438.jpg
IMG_20141218_142445.jpg

This seems to be good knives which you get a throw away prices. But do you really think that they gonna last long.??
Keep knives in your pocket and pray that you will never need it