DIY KNIFE 2

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

DIY KNIFE 2

Post by kshitij » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Images
Last edited by kshitij on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: DIY KNIFE 2

Post by kshitij » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Images
Last edited by kshitij on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:12 am

Kshitij, another cool piece! Make some wood handles buddy!

You won't get billets of damascus, as the pattern was obtained during the forging process of the knife. They would fold the metal (when red hot) and hammer it flat, heat, fold again, repeat. I doubt the modern day "damascus" knives are true damascus!

You can get the pattern by etching (forced patina) with different stuff like tomato ketchup, white and dark vinegar, mustard sauce, imli ki chutney, ferric chloride (used for PCB etching), etc. etc. acidic substances.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:28 am

Hey essdee, thanks :)

The wooden handles are under process.

As for the damascus billet, what i meant was that instead of froging a knife if someone forges a rectangular piece of say 3in×8in×5mm thick i could cut the knife blank of the shape i want from it. Have found a source for damascus knife blanks. Have got his quotes, will pursue it in the coming week.

The steel i use is high carbon kind. They by themselves get a black coloured pattern on the surface in a few days and the pattern gets darker as time goes. This isnt rust formation.
Patina is a good idea too.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:30 am

In the mean time, i would like to see a couple of knives from the mumbai based members. This will give me a better, hands on idea of the shape, weight and propotions of the established knife designs like the BK series.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

painn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by painn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:19 pm

@kshitij

Wonderful. A fixed blade full tang knife. Way to go!

Yes, it needs wood handles. But para cord might give it a rugged minimalistic look.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Great work Kshitij.....
Nice profile too....
Re: The handles, apart from wood - Try 'fibre' - today I was at the photo-frame shop & saw varieties of shades, source the supplier for 'slats' 5mm to 6mm thick & work on it...my gut feel is that these should work :D
Way to go bro :D
Briha

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks brihaji.
Have few fibre sheets. Will try them out soon.
Next profile i want to do is the Ka-bar Potbelly knife :D
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

kesh1982
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by kesh1982 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Superb knife dude. Looks killer. Can't wait to see them.

Rrahulkumar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rrahulkumar » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:49 pm

Wow kshitij excellent job. .!!!

I was planning to buy a dremel and angle grinder to start making knives myself
Maybe u can help me zero in on the best option
I have also found a blacksmith in Navi Mumbai whom we can ask to prepare Damascus billets

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:56 pm

Hey Rrahulkumar,
I have put the bevels on my knives by hand filing them. So i really have no clue as far as dremel tools are concerned. I guess essdee and pratik use them, you could get in touch with them for advice.
Since you are located so close to me, maybe we could meet up sometime. Just finished wrapping up the usual diwali fare, will give you a call in the coming week.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:56 pm

Quick update:
Was able to try out the knife this weekend during our plinking session. Tried chopping a 2inch dia dried branch. Despite the blade being lightweight and only 3mm thick, it was able to take decent chunks off with every stroke. The knife was also good at making feather sticks by shaving thin stems with easy.
I believe the knife can perform even better if it is further sharpened and honed. Gotta get that done soon.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:19 am

kshitij wrote:Hey Rrahulkumar,
I have put the bevels on my knives by hand filing them. So i really have no clue as far as dremel tools are concerned. I guess essdee and pratik use them, you could get in touch with them for advice.
Since you are located so close to me, maybe we could meet up sometime. Just finished wrapping up the usual diwali fare, will give you a call in the coming week.
Hi there!
> A dremel & angle grinder are ideal for beveling knife blanks.....
> Suggest that the blanks are held in a bench-vice while using the dremel / angle grinder with appropriate grinding wheel / disc.
> A steady hand would be an added advantage to get the exact angle of the bevel....
> Good Luck!
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:42 am

A dremel & angle grinder are ideal for beveling knife blanks.....
> Suggest that the blanks are held in a bench-vice while using the dremel / angle grinder with appropriate grinding wheel / disc.
> A steady hand would be an added advantage to get the exact angle of the bevel....
Fully agree. However, it is always better that you practice on some pieces of scrap which you do not mind ruining. The first few are 100% likely to be ruined, so better not try on a piece you want to make into a nice knife.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Update,
For about a week have been waiting for a revert from the machinist i had given the blanks to do the bevels. He called back today and told he cant do it right.
Have decided to now either get the appropriate wheels for my bench grinder or get a dremel tool to get the bevels done myself.
Any suggestions/advice guys?

**irritated on having wasted a week for a 15min job!
Lock, Stock and Barrel.