DIY Cheap (Range Stick) Targets

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
sathya.sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

DIY Cheap (Range Stick) Targets

Post by sathya.sniper » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:17 pm

Hello everyone,
This is a simple method I normally use, thought of sharing it.
As we all know IF you wanna a be a good shooter you must be capable of hitting 1" (1 Inch) at the desired range you normally shoot.
I like long range shooting / Plinking. I like small targets for plinking at long ranges say 35+ yards.
These are range stick targets for air rifles. They can be kept at various range of distance and shot (They don't react, But makes a hole or Gets broken off)

I have a made a substitute of this one using Bottle caps
Items Needed:
Make a hole using any sharp objects (Not bigger than the Nail) to make the nail snug fit inside
Now Insert the nail inside.
If suppose the hole is a bit loose and the cap rotates over the nail. Use a drop of Epoxy.
Now insert the Assembly into the small wooden block.
Note: Do not insert the nail by hammering, drill a hole and just insert the nail inside, so that you can use the same setup, only the bottle caps needs to be replaced.

If needed add some more wight to the block, so that the target gently flips back down.

This target is not only for a single shot, But can be used for several shots.
See the Target below it has been shot 2 times at 30 yards. But still it can hold few more shots.

The idea may be silly but it was useful. and it worked.
-Sathya
HAPPY SHOOTING

For Advertising mail webmaster
moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: DIY Cheap (Range Stick) Targets

Post by moulindu » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:53 am

Hi Sathya
Thats really a very nice innovation brother. The targets are small, easy to use, cheap, easily transportable & can be set up at various distances for range estimation. Its giving me ideas of setting up a own HFT target system at my home. Thanks a lot Sathya for this brilliant idea.
Regards Moulindu

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Dear sathya ,
Brillant idea !!
I wish you couid come up with some alternates of Coke cap as they are too fragile.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

sathya.sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathya.sniper » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Thank you very much!!
I used COKE can cap because they are attractive in color and they can be easily spotted in a field.
I dont have to Paint them, But Metal Soda Can Caps can be used in the same way.

And pet water bottle caps (White caps) are not fragile. as you see in the pic.

Regards.
-Sathya

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:17 pm

Basu Da
Basu wrote:I wish you couid come up with some alternates of Coke cap as they are too fragile.
You can use the caps from bottle beverage(coke/thumbsup)/beer bottles/sauce bottles etc, options are unlimited :) .Since it is summer they will be in plenty of number in nearby shop. Just go to the shopkeeper & ask for it, they will be handing it to you with delight as they will be throwing them anyway. Those caps will dent but with couple of strikes will get back to shape. Or can got to a blacksmith and ask for targets of specified dia from 10mm to an inch. Have to weld it though to nails as demonstrated in Sathya's targets .
Regards Moulindu

ARAE
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ARAE » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:26 pm

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :D :D :D
sathya.sniper wrote:Hello everyone,
This is a simple method I normally use, thought of sharing it.
As we all know IF you wanna a be a good shooter you must be capable of hitting 1" (1 Inch) at the desired range you normally shoot.
I like long range shooting / Plinking. I like small targets for plinking at long ranges say 35+ yards.
These are range stick targets for air rifles. They can be kept at various range of distance and shot (They don't react, But makes a hole or Gets broken off)
[ Image ]

I have a made a substitute of this one using Bottle caps
Items Needed:
[ Image ]
Make a hole using any sharp objects (Not bigger than the Nail) to make the nail snug fit inside
[ Image ]
Now Insert the nail inside.
[ Image ]
If suppose the hole is a bit loose and the cap rotates over the nail. Use a drop of Epoxy.
[ Image ]
Now insert the Assembly into the small wooden block.
Note: Do not insert the nail by hammering, drill a hole and just insert the nail inside, so that you can use the same setup, only the bottle caps needs to be replaced.
[ Image ]

If needed add some more wight to the block, so that the target gently flips back down.
[ Image ]

This target is not only for a single shot, But can be used for several shots.
See the Target below it has been shot 2 times at 30 yards. But still it can hold few more shots.

[ Image ]

The idea may be silly but it was useful. and it worked.
-Sathya
HAPPY SHOOTING
ARAE