Precihole Orion - niggling minor maintenance demands

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Precihole Orion - niggling minor maintenance demands

Post by bennedose » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:13 pm

My Orion requires regular inspection and maintenance every 20-30 shots. Some of these would cripple the rifle if not attended to in time. No Orion owner can survive without an Allen scredriver set.
preci-side3mm.JPG
preci-4p5mm.JPG
preci-trig-screw.JPG
preci-pin.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Scarecrow3
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Precihole Orion - niggling minor maintenance demands

Post by Scarecrow3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:25 pm

I've faced the same problem and here i thought it was my particular rifle only XD
Last edited by Scarecrow3 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are daggers in men's smiles.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:31 pm

This is a bit surprising & disturbing....
Mercifully my "One Year Old" Orion still holds all the screws in place even after 2000+ pellets, till date :D
One possible reason could be that "I had applied 'Locktite' to all the screws a long time ago....
Maybe if you guys did this...it could help!
Briha

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Did you two try any thread locker? I'm running around 100 shots daily through my thread locked IHP from a week & it hasn't moved a whisker. This i just checked after seeing this thread.

Maybe orion needs a stronger lock.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

Tiger619
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Tiger619 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:31 pm

For my NX-100 .22 Scorpious I had to tighten the side allen screws once. I realized it after almost 2000+ shots. Nowadays, I keep checking them after every 500 shots and they haven't moved yet.

It would be annoying to tighten all the screws for every 30-40 shots. Loctite should be your answer.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Dear benne,
This is quite irritating.....
You might not get Locktite in the market easily....so try out " Fevifit 33" from Pidilite.
Two drops on clean screw is enough to prevent unscrewing.
Let it cure for 24 hrs.
For backsight pin........I have no clue whatsoever......

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:33 pm

anabond Blue is easily availabe in any bike/car spare stores for less than 20 bucks. A few drops on the screws after Degreasing would solve your problems.
Also... I had changed the two screws in front to a socket head instead of the button head provided as they strip very easily. Had to cut open the button head of one of the rifle after using loctite since the small shallow head stripped while trying to open.
For the rear sight pin... clean and add a drop of feviquik to the ends
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Some rifles require little or no attention. Some demand a lot more

Prior to a major repair of my IHP 35 I had tried cyanoacrylate glue (superglue, loctite etc) and it failed.

I could apply it on some screws but I am reluctant to do that near the trigger and on the pin on the rear sight. For the time being I am content to tighten everything after evey shooting session because I rarely shoot more than 20 to 25 pellets in one go. I like cycling my air rifles and the orion actually comes out only once in 3-4 days. I take the attitude that the loosening of screws is a form of enrgrgy release that is imparted by the vibration. By fixing it with an adhesive that energy will simply be transmltted to some other parts that cannot be fixed easily - like the threading of the screw. That is what happened with the IHP.

mercury
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by mercury » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Bennedose... try PTFE tape. available in any hardware store..used by plumbers. it is not an alternative to loctite nor is it as effective but it is soft on the threads and can handle quite a bit of vibration without loosening. you need to apply 3 to 4 turns of the tape starting at the bottom of the screw /bolt and work it upward in the opposite direction that you're screwing the bolt / screw , otherwise it will get bunched up towards the head of the screw and not work. very cheap too.

replace the pin....City market...those little shops that line the gullys will have them.
Throw me to the wolves....I will return leading the pack.

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:32 am

mercury wrote:Bennedose... try PTFE tape. available in any hardware store..used by plumbers. it is not an alternative to loctite nor is it as effective but it is soft on the threads and can handle quite a bit of vibration without loosening. you need to apply 3 to 4 turns of the tape starting at the bottom of the screw /bolt and work it upward in the opposite direction that you're screwing the bolt / screw , otherwise it will get bunched up towards the head of the screw and not work. very cheap too.

replace the pin....City market...those little shops that line the gullys will have them.
Brilliant idea. It so happens that I have a roll of PTFE tape. I tried your idea on two of the worst offending screws and first impressions are great. No loosening!

In fact I had earlier tried the same PTFE tape for the same problem on my old SDB 50 - but in that case the threads were already worn out - where it clearly cannot work. But on the Orion - the threading is fine and this may well be the definitive solution. Thanks.

Incidentally PTFE mesh for medical use is exhorbitantly expensive - about Rs 20,000 for a 15 x 15 cm sheet. The same holds true for cyanoacrylate glue. Sold as "superglue" or "loctite" cyanoacrylate glue is dead cheap. But when sold as cyanoacrylate glue for "sutureless" skin "stitching" it costs abut Rs 30 per drop. :shock:

AmareshS
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AmareshS » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Dear Mr Bennedose, I just wish to share a small idea regarding the loosening of the screws holding the air rifle to the stock with regards to the IHP air rifle, all three screws ( 2 side screws and the main screw at the trigger area). It works for me , just try it out on your Orion or other airgun and see the result ? The process is simple ( as I do it with my IHP),open up the stock, take a rubber tube, bicycle tube unusable, cut it into small round patches( a size of Rs 2 coin), cut a small hole at the centre of the patch with scissors only big enough so that with a little pull it slides over the screw and clamps it at the screw head end. Insert the screw with the rubber patch in the side screw holes of the stock and screw it on to the stock, the screw head itself cuts a clear round rubber washers.tighten it sufficient enough, thats it. For the stock screw take a thin metal washer which fits the screw and is wide enough to extend outside to an extent of 2-3 mm, cut 2 washers of the same rubber tube with a small hole at the centre so that it clamps the screw. put the metal washer first followed with the rubber ones and tighten it. Tighten all 3 screws sufficient enough and the job is done. The process is simple and crude but works good enough for my gun without any hassles and keeps me off from tightening the screws for good amount of time. After sometime change the same rubber washer as the process goes if you see some wear and tear with the washers. It really holds and keeps you off from maintanance for quite some time. Just try something similar with your air rifles with normal screws and also device something similar for your Orion and see if it work for you. Hopefully should work for you too ! Regards.

jaysharma
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by jaysharma » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:48 pm

[quote="brihacharan"]This is a bit surprising & disturbing....
Mercifully my "One Year Old" Orion still holds all the screws in place even after 2000+ pellets, till date :D
One possible reason could be that "I had applied 'Locktite' to all the screws a long time ago....
Briha[/quote

I am rather new in this businesse i have an old Kolkata made riffle from the time of my higher secondary education it is functioning well thanks to one of the friend of mine who helped to restore it as the piston receiver was fully rusted he made a tool bu cutting 1 inch thich ply washer added sandpapper a big shaft and used it with hand drill after that glued some wool from an old buffing wheel little buff and the cylinder is new
Now my question is that would i have been able to do the same without his knowledge answer is no
So this site is really helpful and informative and i thank all the gurus for sharing their experience and knowledge with other
I will love if some one shows me how to assemble and dissassamble percihole orion as my same friend wants to change the spring and piston seal of his ph orion which is 2 year old
I am also planning to purchase same model next week
It is a humble request to all gurus because the sealers charge very high and dont change all the parts new . That was one of my other friends experience
Please provide some knowledge on it
Some pics and a video tutorial will be awesome and kindful. Thanks in advance

jaysharma
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by jaysharma » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:00 pm

brihacharan wrote:This is a bit surprising & disturbing....
Briha