Govt asking for suggestion for wildlife protection act!

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
warthog
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Govt asking for suggestion for wildlife protection act!

Post by warthog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:16 pm

For Advertising mail webmaster
spin_drift
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Govt asking for suggestion for wildlife protection act!

Post by spin_drift » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:55 am

Done.
I believe in second chances… it’s called reloading

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Good one and in time too.
Instead of making a hasty one liner it will be good to add a few points as to how we can benefit from hunting.
Here are a few points that i have added.
Feel free to copy paste if you wish.
Thanks.

Sir,
There is scope for huge improvement both by means of revenue and also by wildlife conservation. Also a direct and indirect source of employment for the thousands in every state in India. All of this and much more can be achived by introducing controlled hunting. Moving a few of the "Pest" animals to the Schedule V of the Act will help many on different levels.
Here are a few quick higlights as to what we will benifit.
1. Revenue from issue of hunting permits & sale of game meat.
2. Revenue from Sale of arms and ammunition.
3. Employment by means of trackers, game keepers, restaurants, game reserves. etc.
4. Revenue by means of foreign investors who wish to have a stake.
5. Protection of other wildlife species which are threatened (by using procured revenue for their benefit).
6. Use of received revenue for more and advanced methods in anti poaching and securing border of forests.
7. Control of pest species such as wild boar, Nilgai, Blackbucks, hares etc.
8. Congrol and eradication of illegal poaching & hunting.
9. Eradication of Smuggling of forest resources.

and many more.
Request you to kindly have this looked at in detail and implement.
Thank you.

/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:11 pm

done it with two clicks and paste
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:47 am

Done - with some minor changes in the text - and I had to use an Indian Address :lol:

There is scope for huge improvement in terms of wildlife conservation as well as generating much needed revenue. A direct and indirect source of employment for thousands in every state in India. All of this and much more can be achieved by introducing controlled hunting. Moving a few of the "Pest" animals to the Schedule V of the Act will help many on different levels.

Here are a few quick highlights of the benefits:

1. Revenue generation through productive conservation methods:
2. Issue of hunting permits & sale of game meat.
3. Sale of arms and ammunition.
4. Foreign Tourists and investors interested in conservation
5. Increased employment of trackers, game-keepers, game reserves, exotic game restaurants
6. Protection of other wildlife species which are threatened (by using procured revenue for their benefit).
7. Use of received revenue for more and advanced methods in anti poaching and securing border of forests. Latest arms and ammunition for trackers, game-keepers, and forest guards
8. Control of pest species such as wild boar, Nilgai, Blackbucks, hare etc.
9. Control and eradication of illegal poaching, hunting and smuggling of forest resources And many more.

Request you to kindly have this looked at in detail and implement. Thank you.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:33 am

Sniper, I have some suggestions to make but please don't take them personally.
This is not a criticism of your post or ideas but an observation of what has worked in other countries which have successful conservation programs.
There are only two points that I have reservations about.

I'm all in favor of hunting but there is one thing to remember.
The way things are now, there is no way to have a hunting program unless you already have sound, scientific methods of conservation in place first.
If you don't have that in place, how will you know what numbers of game you can harvest and still have a sustainable population left?
If you just open up hunting, you will endanger species that are are in trouble right now and might lose them forever.

You should not allow game meat to be sold. If game meat can be sold legally, it will foster all kinds of abuses.
Make it legal to give away game meat but make it illegal to sell. In other words, your hunting license allows to you do as you see fit with your legally taken game, except that you can't sell any part of it. If caught selling the meat, there should be severe civil and criminal penalties. Indians are enterprising enough that you will see a huge, maybe unsustainable, increase in game taken if people are allowed to sell it.

Your items 7 and 9 would be the most important and pressing thing to implement. Give the rangers vehicles to patrol remote areas, arms (and ammunition) to defend themselves and the game from poachers. Give them modern communication aids to summon help if they get in a sticky situation. Give them the authority to curtail the ravages made on the reserve forests, including the prevention of tree cutting and grazing in reserve forests. Make the penalties for interfering with a reserve forest harsh. Especially make it illegal for local authorities to interfere in how the forest service operates. Make the Forest Service an independent entity so local bureaucrats can't interfere in conservation matters. The reserve forests should be sacrosanct and no interference in their management should be tolerated.

People complain about how much the British shot when they were in India (and they did shoot a lot) but when they left, India had a huge game population and that is a documented fact. After so many years of Independence, we have squandered the resources we were left with and the blame can only fall on us. Unfortunately that is also a documented fact.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:51 am

xl_target wrote....
I'm all in favor of hunting but there is one thing to remember.
The way things are now, there is no way to have a hunting program unless you already have sound, scientific methods of conservation in place first.
If you don't have that in place, how will you know what numbers of game you can harvest and still have a sustainable population left?
If you just open up hunting, you will endanger species that are are in trouble right now and might lose them forever.

> Well summarized :D :agree:
> IMHO - It would be well worth hiring the services of Internationally acclaimed game biologists to study the situation & come with a workable solution....
Briha

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Good points there XL, i agree with what you said. If we want to see this happen we need to put together facts and methods as stated by you.
I also know that the points stated by me will not be blindly accepted and hunting opened up for all. There is a lot to go before we see this happening.
The main aim of putting that up is to let people know that there is an active interest for legal "hunting" in the country with benefits for all.
We can start collating information on what & how and when such opportunities come up they can be put across.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.