A Billigiri Bison

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
stripes
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

A Billigiri Bison

Post by stripes » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:06 pm

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:33 pm

Did not notice the link in the message earlier and thought it reffered to a typo :oops:

Interesting story.

Take care,
penpusher
Last edited by penpusher on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:04 am

Hello Nick,

Welcome to Indians For Guns. And thank you for the lovely post.

To our members who don't know Nick - he is a highly accomplished big game hunter and expert in big bore rifles. Nick moderates the Nickudu files at www.accuratereloading.com and is a passionate collector of classic hunting articles and history, especially from India. It is his dream that someday India would value her forests and her hunting traditions and the glorious days of hunting and conservation from the past would be back.

Please be ready for some of the finest material on hunting history from around the world - Nick has treasures that he has always shared with several friends on this group. My thanks to him again for his generosity in sharing these pieces which he researches with us at the IFG as well.

Those who have not visited his collections MUST visit the Nickudu Files at www.accuratereloading.com You are sure to find a new addiction there. 8)

Welcome, my friend, again, and thank you very much for your lovely historical pieces as always,

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:19 am

Hello Nick,

Pleasure to have you on board IFG.

As always, thanks a lot for another shikar yarn. Would you know in which year this story took place?

Best wishes.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:07 pm

Mack The Knife Bana wrote: Would you know in which year this story took place?
Mack The Knife,

Since this piece talks about the Madras Presidency it would be between 1911 and 1956 - I am presuming between 1911 and 1937 as the region was called the Presidency then and then it became Madras Province. In 1947 the place began to be called Madras State.

Let's see how accurate this turns out to be - hopefully, my history lessons from my schooldays nearly 3 decades ago are still fresh in my memory. :lol:

Cheers,

Mehul

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:55 pm

Mehul,
mention is made of "jeep, driver and shikari"
jeeps came on only after WW2?
best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:32 am

Maybe I missed it, but I did not find the word Madras 'Presidency' anywhere in the narrative.

Take care,
penpusher

stripes
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by stripes » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:01 am

Friends - I can tell you only that the article was published in 1955.
My best guess would be the events took place within the post-war period, up to 1954.

Mehul, I thank you for the warm welcome.

Regards To All ... Nick

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:23 pm

A very good read, Please most more:)

Regards
Ranjeet

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:58 pm

stripes wrote:Friends - I can tell you only that the article was published in 1955.
My best guess would be the events took place within the post-war period, up to 1954.
Thanks, Nick.

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:50 pm

Welcome to the forums Nick and great to have you here. Thanks for the great post.Hope to see many more such posts. :D

Best- Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."