Which shot gun would you like to have in home/ self defence?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Which shot gun would you like to have in home/ self defence?

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Hello Folks!
Was wondering that in case of an intrusion in our homes which shot gun would you prefer having?
A Pump Action/ a DBBL/ an Automatic?
Though I know the last option is pretty hypotical in India because they are prohibited and hence beyond the scope of most of us. A brief preference to particular model in mind is highly solicited.

And the second part of my question is what are the accessories that one would like to fit in your home defence shot gun?
Answers:-
Well if such a situation warrants then definitely I would prefer a Remington 870 Wingmaster for the following reasons:-
a) Pumps are dependable over automatics and semi automatics
b) they have higher magazine capacity 4+1 or 5+1 depending upon the shot shells
c) they are a formidable tool to the assailant------ thanks to some films
d) finding accessories for them is easy
Now friends it is upto you to decide.
Love
Jayanta
LAWYERS FIGHT FOR RIGHTS.... AN ARMED CITIZEN PROTECTS THEM
"GOD IS NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE BIGGEST BATTALIONS, BUT OF THE BEST SHOTS." ~ VOLTAIRE

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Which shot gun would you like to have in home/ self defe

Post by penpusher » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:38 pm

1.Do you have a license?
2.What is your budget?

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:58 pm

JM,

Go for it.

It only costs $773 .:mrgreen:

http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... _specs.asp

cheers,

RP.
Last edited by The Doc on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 pm

hello Penpusher!
Am just taking an opinion... not in the market for a gun yet.
Recently got my licence 12g SBBL. though I had applied for DBBL. :cry:
Jayanta
Why do u ask? :wink:
LAWYERS FIGHT FOR RIGHTS.... AN ARMED CITIZEN PROTECTS THEM
"GOD IS NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE BIGGEST BATTALIONS, BUT OF THE BEST SHOTS." ~ VOLTAIRE

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi jayanta , i would love to have pump action anyday , Reminton 870 are no doubt the best but price in India for pump action is sky high , Winchester model 12 trench gun with 6 plus 1 magazine capacity , 20 inche barrel length ,cylinder choke, would be my choise because it is simpler to disassemble ,even magazine tube can be taken off not with Reminton 870 , Reminton hold 4 rounds and installing magazine extension is possible but difficult in India to find one ,tend to loosen up after five rounds. I prefer winchester becouse it fun slam firing as you need to just press trigger and fire as fast as you can pump repeatdly ,not possible with REM.
This is personally my openion and choise... James......

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:25 pm

Ah! Since its a hypothetical scenario... Jackhammer....hey come one its technically an SBBL :mrgreen:
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:32 pm

hi jayanta :)

considering the indian conditions,i would prefer a decent DBBL loaded with BBs and spare ammo strapped on the butt stock.there is no doubt that the 870 is an excellent gun but how reliable is it with KF ammo.thin rims and improper ejection can add to more danger in a bad situation.its just my personal opinion.

cheers :)

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:14 pm

I would go for a double trigger SXS with a bare minimum legal length barrels any day.Easy to load and simple to use. Preferred loads, in India, slug in one and BB in one. But, even birdshot is lethal in close quarters.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:41 am

Budget matters and I agree with Indian shells do get jammed in the pump action. Keep it simple go for sxs and if you get a decent one with hammers do check it out.

best

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:13 pm

definetly an AA12
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

phantom
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by phantom » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:43 pm

why anyone here didn't want to go for the iof made pump action shotgun????? which could be cheaper i guess than the mossberg a the remington one....

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:07 am

phantom";p="63377 wrote:why anyone here didn't want to go for the iof made pump action shotgun????? which could be cheaper i guess than the mossberg a the remington one....
Hello Phantom,

As far as I know, the IOF pump action is not available for civilians anymore. That's what I was told by an armourer here.
jayanta mukherjee";p="62004 wrote: Hello Folks!
Was wondering that in case of an intrusion in our homes which shot gun would you prefer having?
A Pump Action/ a DBBL/ an Automatic?
Though I know the last option is pretty hypotical in India because they are prohibited and hence beyond the scope of most of us. A brief preference to particular model in mind is highly solicited.

And the second part of my question is what are the accessories that one would like to fit in your home defence shot gun?
Answers:-
Well if such a situation warrants then definitely I would prefer a Remington 870 Wingmaster for the following reasons:-
a) Pumps are dependable over automatics and semi automatics
b) they have higher magazine capacity 4+1 or 5+1 depending upon the shot shells
c) they are a formidable tool to the assailant------ thanks to some films
d) finding accessories for them is easy
Now friends it is upto you to decide.
Love
Jayanta
I would always prefer a SxS double barrel shotgun as both barrels will be loaded. In case, one round doesn't go off the other is always there.

Ebenezer

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:53 am

Pump action is the ideal gun for home defense.... but in India , foreign made are pretty expensive. Unless you are going to use it for a lot of shooting ( which i dun think happens in home defense scenarios) , go for decent made DBBL gun. Just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Mandeep

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:11 am

Don't fancy shotguns much. Since it is a hypothetical question, I would settle for an Indian made SxS with the right shells. Would also have a few spare shells strapped to the butt.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:52 pm

Prabhath";p="63390 wrote: Would also have a few spare shells strapped to the butt.
Would it not make sitting down a Royal PIA :wink: :lol: Since the person asking for this information has permission to buy a SBBL gun,how about this

[youtube][/youtube]

What troubles me is this
jayanta mukherjee";p="62009 wrote: Am just taking an opinion... not in the market for a gun yet.
Recently got my licence 12g SBBL.
If you are not going to buy a gun,why ask a question.Also,why go to the trouble of getting a license in the first place.