The best defence: retreat!

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

The best defence: retreat!

Post by vjha55 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:24 pm

Recently read literature on self defence, surprisingly and also convincingly for me "fleeing from the scene " was advised as the best self defence if one could flee.

For Advertising mail webmaster
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: fleeing from the scene: the best defenc,e

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:02 pm

vjha55";p="38640 wrote:Recently read literature on self defence, surprisingly and also convincingly for me "fleeing from the scene " was advised as the best self defence if one could flee.
Yaar bhai,

You'll have your mighty revolver. No need to fear anything.... :)

Well, on a more normal note, yes, fleeing if possible, would be a pretty practical thing to do.

regards,
cc

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:11 pm

Yaar cc,

It is not so much a matter of fear and use of so called mighty revolver, it is the after effect of use/noneuse of it that matters.
Regards
VJha 8)

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:15 pm

How apt would be this remark " braves must be half fool" ------not applicable to military.

Instead of fleeing, a brave will fight it out and repent later if survives---a characteristic of fool.
Regards
VJha 8)

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:27 pm

The remark "Braves must be half fool" makes no sense. At least not in this context.

The act of fleeing as self defense, has no relation to how brave a person is. It just reflects in his understanding of responsibility and avoiding conflict where possible.

Just cause you have a gun dosnt mean you need to return fire. If its possible to flee, then do so. Thus avoiding prolonged danger to self/others and or damage to property.

Makes sense? Its called responsible Behaviour. Has got nothing to do with guts.

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:33 pm

can you think of bravery without putting oneself in danger, fleeing from scene cannt perhaps be bravery, if anything it is what is meant by cowardice.
At times being cowardice may be a better option than earning a label of brave.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:44 pm

vjha55";p="38649 wrote:can you think of bravery without putting oneself in danger, fleeing from scene cannt perhaps be bravery, if anything it is what is meant by cowardice.
If you have the option of retreat, while preserving your/ persons accompanying you safety & property AND you choose not to take it, choosing in stead to shoot the assailants. You may find that the court will possibly take a dim view of your actions and you may possibly find yourself behind bars.

If there is no real option of retreat without putting yourself/ persons accompanying you in danger OR safe retreat is not possible - then you would be justified in using deadly force to defend yourself.

It has nothing to do with bravery, it's about obeying the spirit of the law while best ensuring your own safety...

Certain states in the US have adopted something called the "castle doctrine" wherein if you have an intruder in your house, you are not required to try to flee or ascertain the level of danger before responding with deadly force.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:44 pm

can you think of bravery without putting oneself in danger, fleeing from scene cannt perhaps be bravery, if anything it is what is meant by cowardice.
At times being cowardice may be a better option than earning a label of brave.
Y'know what, pulling out a gun at the first sign of danger is utter cowardice and a clear indication that you do not have the mental stability required to safely own a firearm.

Its always better to try and disengage an opponent instead of trying to place a bullet in his head. Why do you think policemen have have tasers/stun guns? Think they're not good shots? or perhaps saving bullets?

On a different note, its somehow difficult to ignore the fact that you always come up with imaginary situations, requiring the public display of B@lls. Why is that?

Try XBox - Cheaper, No license required and you can shoot anybody you want to.
Last edited by Mo on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:55 pm

Dear vjha55,

Nobody labels a person who's just out of a traumatic situation. Whether you return fire or not, whether you flee or not, people are only concerned with the health of the involved.

They do not tag anybody brave or coward for getting into a gunfight.

If they do, move to a better neighbourhood.

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:05 pm

Dear MO,

I entirely agree with every word of yours, but you do get people who think better to fight it out making mess of whole thing.
This topic could serve them and us too because at times animal instinct has the tendencyto take us over. By using the tough word like "fool" what I have tried is to trigger vaccination sort of thing in all the readers at this forum---no disrespect meant for anyone.

BTW I dont need to change my neighbourhood if at all I discuss all this it is with intellectual people like you.
Last edited by vjha55 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mo
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Mo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Hmmm, I see the point.

But such posts will be far from a deterrent. Its perhaps the way you word it. Dunno.

I'm sorry if was rude. But the post conveyed a funny picture.

Instead, try focussing on how fleeing would result in a better outcome than using adjectives.

Why dont you do a write up on your learnings from the self-def book. That'll be a better way of doing things.

Mo.

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:32 pm

Oh man this friend of ours is priceless :lol: Trade Union leader or no trade union leader. Vaccinator, Torchbearer et all rolled into one. Is is bird is it a plane ? No its our own our very own Jhajee.

Well I'll get back on topic and leave Jhajee for lead role histrionics.

Retreat is but a strategic withdrawal, which speaks volumes about the clarity of thought of the individual who takes that action under duress. Forget literary tags like BRAVE and COWARD, they really don't mean much. Its there at the back of your mind in a situation like this. One might be tempted to think, if I run now, people will think I am a COWARD.Thats what happens actually. One should be BRAVE enough to shrug off that feeling and do whats right. If theres room to flee, scat vamooze, become scarce. And if cornered with no way out, :) well you know what to do.

Whatever you do,just ensure that you live to see another day.

Cheerio
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:35 pm

any kind of danger causes the body to release adrenaline which can have effects of fight, fright (fear, causing you to freeze) and flight. An individual has no control over these reactions. People like policemen, firefighters, millitary undergo rigorous training to face these situations.
All their moves are carefully rehersed many times during exercises. but this doesnt make them less brave or the ordinary man a coward because he flees from danger.
Most rescue workers including lifeguards, paramedics, even people who administer CPR etc are taught, trained to put their safety first. This has nothing to do with cowardice.
Even Jim Corbett acknowledges in his works, while describing villagers fleeing from a man eater, believing the tiger to be posessed, and approaching him for help as very brave.

buying a musical instrument doesnt make you a musician. similarly buying a handgun etc doesnt make one proficient in its use with enough confidence to use it in a life or death situation.
Bravery and cowardice are something much deeper and cant be fully described by play of words.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Two men were on either side of a small narrow bridge (in good ol Great Britan i hear) they were just about to cross and saw the other one about to do the same. One called out, "I dont give way to **^&*&^" the other looked at him and said, "I do" and saying so he stepped away allowing the other to pass
h
HTH
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:47 pm

I quite like the way it's said by this woman pro-gunner from USA on her personal website - http://www.corneredcat.com
This site is about women and guns, not about cats. But in a way, it's about the cornered cat in all of us. It's about the determination to get away from an attacker if you need to. It's about making the decision to say, "Not me. Not mine. Not today." And it's about the tools to make that decision stick.

If you have to fight...

Fight like a cornered cat.
Last edited by mundaire on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein