sights for 450/400 Jefferey FAO-Mark and Grumpy

Posts related to rifles.
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

sights for 450/400 Jefferey FAO-Mark and Grumpy

Post by eljefe » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:38 am

Dear Both,
Would appreciate your advice about replaceing original sights for my 450/400 WJ Jefferey. if I could have sample pics or access to a site or maker who could make it for me.Looking for typical 3 leaf express sights, Gold vertical line from the v notch would be an added bonus!
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: sights for 450/400 Jefferey FAO-Mark and Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:12 pm

Asif, the current owners of the W.J.Jeffery & Co name are J.Roberts and Son. Paul Roberts would be able to make you replacement leafs with no problem.......wouldn`t be cheap though.
http://www.jroberts-gunmakers.co.uk/
As alternative would be to contact Peter Dyson -
http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/
He can make practically anything gun related. The only problem that I can see would be getting the original dimensions.
Hope this helps.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:35 pm

Grumpy, would Chambers in Scotland be cheaper? Assuming the owner is back on his feet.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:04 am

I very much doubt it Mack The Knife. The best bet is Paul Roberts - he is pricey but is the most likely to have the required dimensions to hand. Peter Dyson is likely to be the best person to go to if the leaves have to be made from scratch without dimensions being available. His prices are reasonable ( ie NOT London prices ) and he can do precious metal inlays - and engrave numbers etc. If it was my rifle I`d speak to Peter first.
Surely there`s someone in India who can do the work ? If a pattern can be made up the leaves can be adjusted by filing down the bases to sight the gun in.......which`ll almost certainly have to be done whoever makes the leaves. I`ve found that jewellers are the best people to get small parts made up - they`re used to making and finishing small items.
Are the sights folding leaves or fixed ? If they are folding it will be a very expensive job to have done in the UK.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:40 am

And Jefe,

You need an errand boy to run around, chase people,post things etc, I shall be happy to do that.Let me know.

Best-

Vikram
Last edited by Vikram on Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:03 am

I happily second Grumpy's advice about talking to Paul Roberts. I have had some correspondence with him from the days when he owned Rigby and he is a fine gentleman. However, if the present sights are not damaged, they could most probably be replicated in India by any of the small CNC machining units around Delhi.

Asif, isn't it going to be possible to get a gold line inlaid on the present sights themselves? Might be a much cheaper solution...

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:06 pm

You guys kill me, we live in different worlds!

Here, original and classic guns like these have much effort put into keeping everything as original as possible. However, I understand how your situation is much differnt than mine, and first and foremost you need to have functioning firearms however so.

Anyway, I would look into having a local machinist duplicate your sight or whatever parts it needs. It would most likely be the cheapest and best way.

Having said that , if you post a pic I can see what is available, but Mehul will have to say whether these would be a shippable and importable item.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:33 pm

Thanks Guys,
Will try Dyson as the leaves have to be made from scratch....Need to check out the slot dimension on the rib-later this month.The existing sights were added by my brother...not original.
Vikram, thanks for the very generous offer.Will definitely ask for help.
Best
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:52 pm

Before you have someone make them, can you post a pic of what you have now, I have an awful lot of junk in my shop and can see if I have any extra leaves that may fit.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:05 pm

Thanks Mark,
Much appreciated.Called UK earlier today, looks like they're closed for the weekend.
Sure thing, will send you pics after 28th, as I'll be going over to Bangalore then.
Right now, my brother has retrofitted a set of 3 graded height,fixed blade sights on a single ramp.
Best
Axx

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:30 am

Hey Mark, got any spare Krieger barrels for an FN Mauser action laying about in your workshop that you want to give away ?
- What else have you got hanging around in there ?

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:02 am

Nope, the closest thing I have to your request is a Winchester Model 54 target barrel in 30-06 that's been re-threaded for a mauser action, will that work for you? :lol:

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:25 am

Glad you`re entering the spirit Mark. Best giggle I`ve had all week !
That barrel sounds like a Gun Parts special - I love their catalogue......full of stuff that you didn`t know you didn`t need - "Mauser 98 military barrels rebored to 9.5mm-06 with discontinuous barrel thread ( that fits no receiver known to mankind ) Only $29.99 - Buy quick, they`re selling fast` !!!
What`s the bet that someone`s going to tell me that there was a .375-06 wildcat now ? !

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:53 am

AAAHHH you're killing me!

I've had this barrel floating around for a while and don't really know what to do with it. I think some winter when I'm bored I might TIG the threads over and re-thread it for a winchester, or it may go on ebay next month too....

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:06 am

AAAAGH ! I knew it ! Had to be Townsend or P.O.Ackley. No. I`m not interested........Bet the specs are very much like the 9.3x62/9.3x74R. I had a massive correspondence with Ka`imiloa earlier this year about the problems of getting a .333 Jeffery built over here and he came up with a sensible alternative ( after initially suggesting the .35 Whelen ) - the .338-06. I was quite close to having a rifle built until it occurred to me that: a. If I was really interested I would be building it myself; b. That I`d have to reload.......and I hate reloading and c. The 9.3x62/74R is a very acceptable substitute.
The guy that I sold my Sabatti 9.3x74R O/U double to earlier this year has decided that he`s giving up shooting and has offered the rifle back to me at a stupid price - he hasn`t even shot the rifle...............I`m very tempted.
If you`re actually considering selling the 30-06 barrel I`ll bet that`s what you`ll do. Just like me, if you were really considering building the rifle you would have got on and done it - and you must have at least one 30-06 already.