An observation on shooting the 1911

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

An observation on shooting the 1911

Post by timmy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:42 pm

I have been meaning to mention this, but have always been forgetting to do so:

Today, I spent the aternoon at the range shooting my 1911. I used some ammunitoion I made up quite some time ago, shooting 230 cast round nose at about 750-800 feet/second -- similar to factory loads.

I notice that, when my shooting is going well, the empty cases will fall just to the right of my shoulder, or sometimes hit my shoulder. If they don't roll much, they will be in a small area right beside me.

I don't think that this indicates the accuracy of my shooting, but when my shooting is accurate, this will normally happen. I attribute this to the way I hold the pistol. When I'm consistently holding the pistol the same way with each shot, the cases will for to just about the same place.

I have not been shooting my 32 lately, and when I last did so, it was in grass, so I can't say if this observation will hold true for the CZ70. But with my Star in 9mm, it seems to be true to a much lesser extent.

I could attribute this to the fact that the 1911 is a Colt and very nicely made, compared to the Chinese made Star. But mainly, I think that it is because the 1911 fits my hand very nicely (this is "bullseye" shooting -- one hand) and I get a consisent hold on the pistol. I generally shoot the Star with two hands in an isosceles stance. The pistol doesn't fit me very well, as the grip is less angled than the 1911, and shorter, as well. I think that, even with two hands, I don't get as consistent of a hold on the gun. It isn't comfortable to shoot, while I could shoot the 1911 all day and find it enjoyable.

Pay attention to where your cases are landing when you are out shooting a pistol, and see whether you notice this same effect.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: An observation on shooting the 1911

Post by Vikram » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:35 am

Interesting observation, Tim. I could see how a well made pistol would eject the empties consistently to the same spot provided that the grip is consistent too. Thank you for sharing your experience.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: An observation on shooting the 1911

Post by timmy » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:55 am

Vikram, I think that my reasoning associated with observing this is good, but I'm not an expert on anything. Perhaps someone else has also noticed this, or not. Also, maybe someone else will check it out the next time they are at the range.

If this is true, I think that I'm justified in noting this and using it as a shooting aid, and perhaps recommending it to others.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman