All 9mm in collection

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
soul
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

All 9mm in collection

Post by soul » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:15 am

The Boberg XR9-S 9mm
WP_20141115_15_05_40_Pro.jpg
From the left - Springfield XDS 3.3, Springfield XDS 4.0, Springfield XDMC 3.8, Springfield XDM 4.5, HK VP9 all in 9mm
Untitled picture.jpg

Range kit
WP_20141115_14_57_55_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by soul on Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: All 9mm in collection

Post by farook » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:33 am

Those are large files, could you make them smaller so we can see them...
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

soul
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by soul » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:49 am

Oh, looks like I uploaded the 41 mega pixel images from Lumia 1020
Will get that corrected

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:18 pm

Great Collection there Soul. Curious to know what you think about the VP9. Does it live up-to the HK quality.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:30 am

If you reduce the images to 640X480 pixels, you can put the images inline with your post.
Of course, you would have to have them hosted somewhere else like photobucket.

That is a very nice collection of 9mm pstols.
What do you think of the Boberg? Could you give us a range report?
We have discussed this pistol here in the past and I'm sure there would be many people interested in the results.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

soul
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by soul » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:20 am

Finally got some range time with HK VP9, Springfield XDS 3.3 & Boberg XR-9S.
WP_20141122_15_34_15_Pro.jpg
Did some 200 rounds between the 3 guns, here is one of the targets.
WP_20141122_16_21_47_Pro.jpg
Initial feedback -

1) HK VP9 trigger is impressive, was able to consistently get tighter groups because of the crisp trigger compared to XDS & XR9. I found the grip bit fat, for my small hands but otherwise could shoot hundreds of rounds without any fatigue. Compared to my full size XDM the trigger is better, but XDM feels better to hold and point. I will try changing the grip backstrap next time.

2) Springfield XDS 3.3, this is a subcompact so it has bit of a bite compared to VP9. But with fiber sight, way easy to aim compared to both VP9 and XR9-S. In my second round was able to get better grouping. This is my planned carry weapon, once California becomes shall issue. It is a nice shooter for its size for sure, have both standard and extended grip magazine and the longer magazine seems to help in terms of control. Hopefully with practice I will become more proficient.

3) Boberg XR9-S, by far the smallest form of the 3. It is very easy to conceal carry. It probably has almost the muzzle velocity of the full size VP9 ,which can be felt compared to the XDS. The twist barrel softening of recoil, and less muzzle flip is noticeable. Unfortunately the trigger take-up is long and heavy compared to both VP9 and XDS, and this combined with the hammer anticipation made things bit difficult in terms of grouping. It is certainly an accurate firearm, but looks like am more comfortable with striker fired arms than hammer ones. But overall it is a very nice shooter for its size, racking is the easiest compared to all my 9mms. This one being ammo finicky, used UMC 115grain. It basically needs good crimping else the bullet gets dislodged from the case during pull from the magazine by the slide (it has pull action versus push for all browning based actions)

Based on my VP9 trigger experience am seriously considering PRP or Springer Precision trigger kit for XDM & XDS. I am planning to do it myself, based on the excellent videos.
Let me know if any other question you have on these guns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by soul on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:04 am

What do you mean by Hammer anticipation?
If you are concentrating on the front sight and target, how do you see (or notice) the hammer?
I personally don't recall paying attention or noticing the hammer actuating on a hammer fired handgun.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:25 am

Unfortunately the trigger pull is long and heavy compared to both VP9 and XDS, and this combined with the hammer anticipation made things bit difficult in terms of grouping
Lets call this trigger break-in point. This is the primary difference between a well built and a cheap gun.

soul
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by soul » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:07 pm

@farook, thanks I corrected. Actually the break is decent but take-up is too long for my comfort.

@xl_target , it may be just me but for target shooting I level front and back sites especially for short sight radius in subcompact guns. The hammer movement is distracting, causing anticipation. In comparison I seem to be more comfortable with striker fired or internal hammer guns. Again it is just me, am sure some folks actually prefer other way round.
Sent from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Think a trigger job would fix it Soul. When are we going to add Sig P320 to the collection..Hot Property

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... lit=boberg

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:03 am

farook wrote:Think a trigger job would fix it Soul. When are we going to add Sig P320 to the collection..Hot Property

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... lit=boberg
Thre is nothing for a trigger job to fix, Farook.
The Boberg has a long double action type pull by design.
It is long but it is smooth as, I'm sure, Soul can testify.

It is just a matter of getting used to the pull and learning to pull it in one long continuous motion, rather thatn taking it slow. Anyone familiar with a double action revolver trigger should have no problems with it.

Soul,
What you have there is one very cool little handgun and I'm sure you will see your groups improve during subsequent range sessions. I would definitely buy one of those if I could afford it.
It took me several range sessions to get better with the long double action pull of my LC9. At first I didn't care for it at all but after some thought, I accepted it. For pocket carry, I now prefer a long pull rather than a very light crisp pull. I feel it is safer, when pocket carrying, if the pistol would require you to actually pull the trigger all the way back before firing.
Try pulling the trigger in one long continuous motion rather than staging it slowly.
Also try dry firing it with a penny on top of the slide. When you can pull the trigger consistently without the penny falling off, you will find everything will start to come together.

soul
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by soul » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:17 am

@farook, unfortunately xl_target is right no trigger job as such but I will be changing trigger spring. The original XR9 actually came with 6.5 pound spring, they had to change it to 8.5 pound one it had light striked for some hard primer ammo. My version is supposed to run fine with 6.5 spring, so just ordered it today. On the Sig P320, it is not on California roster :(. I am trying to find FFL who can do SSE before the December deadline.

@xl_target, I totally agree with you, it is just me getting used to the trigger. Also your observation is correct, I was staging which caused the anticipation. Hopefully will get the spring replaced, and do one more session in few weeks. I did a field strip XR9 today the thing is made like a jewel. The barrel cam, frame and everything about this gun is high quality. Due to this very different design, racking the slide is extremely easy for a 9mm, its like a Ruger MKII 22. Also Arnie is super helpful, where else can you directly reach out to the gun designer for your questions!

Thanks for the penny tip, that will in general improve my trigger control.
Last edited by soul on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:22 am

Awesome collection you have Soul!!

Cheers!
"Tourists are terrorists with cameras. Terrorists are tourists with guns.”

soul
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by soul » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:55 am

Adding S&W 617 & M&P22C before new year. The budgets are all screwed up thanks to Kalifonia SSE expiration. These will be plinking guns, and getting friends onboard for shooting

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:21 am

soul wrote:Adding S&W 617 & M&P22C before new year. The budgets are all screwed up thanks to Kalifonia SSE expiration. These will be plinking guns, and getting friends onboard for shooting
A good 22 handgun is a pleasure to own. Have you ever looked at a Smith and Wesson Model 41. They are no longer made but they are real jewels. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one in good condition. There are still a lot of them floating around but they are expensive. If for some reason, I was limited to a single .22 LR semi auto handgun, that would be one that I would choose. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the M&P 22C but it is not in the same class as the Model 41.

The 617 is a very nice .22 revolver though.