Price Check - Colt .38 Special 4 inch revolver

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Price Check - Colt .38 Special 4 inch revolver

Post by BowMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:38 pm

I have been offered a Colt revolver chambered in .38 special with 4 inch barrel. The gun is in very good condition for its age.

The quoted price is 6.5 Lakhs.

Is this fair price for this gun or is the dealer asking too much?

For Advertising mail webmaster
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Price Check - Colt .38 Special 4 inch revolver

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:14 pm

BowMan,

6.5 lakhs for a .38 Spl is highway robbery.You will not be able to get any ammo for it AND you will face a lot of trouble when you go to get it endorsed on your license and then every 3 years at the time of renewal.

I am sure google gurus are going to endorse it enthusiastically and egg you on to buy it :wink:

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:38 pm

If 6.5 is highway robbery than what is a good ballpark figure?

Ammo is not a big issue as I can get it on my travels abroad.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:10 pm

Do you have a licence that specifically mentions ".38 special" ? If yes, go ahead. But bargain ... .38 specials do not have buyers for reasons Winnie has rightly stated. Five or Six years ago a dead man's .38 special Colt was put on sale by a rather greedy dealer in Kolkata for only Rs 1.25 lakh... He did not find a buyer in Bengal till I last heard.

One and a half years ago I helped a friend buy a .32 Smith 3 inch barrel for 4.65 lakh from a dealer. It had the original box and papers. A 2 inch .32 Colt detective special is the most sought after revolver in the present Indian scenario (perhaps in the US as well in the .38 cal) The maximum price for one is 6.5 lakh to 7 at the most. Now you can compare.

My views and experience entirely. You are best judge.

Cheers
TC

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:01 am

Re. the price Rs.65,000 max

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:25 am

45k, its like buying a roller but no petrol to run it.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:43 am

TC wrote:Do you have a licence that specifically mentions ".38 special" ? If yes, go ahead. But bargain ... .38 specials do not have buyers for reasons Winnie has rightly stated. Five or Six years ago a dead man's .38 special Colt was put on sale by a rather greedy dealer in Kolkata for only Rs 1.25 lakh... He did not find a buyer in Bengal till I last heard.

One and a half years ago I helped a friend buy a .32 Smith 3 inch barrel for 4.65 lakh from a dealer. It had the original box and papers. A 2 inch .32 Colt detective special is the most sought after revolver in the present Indian scenario (perhaps in the US as well in the .38 cal) The maximum price for one is 6.5 lakh to 7 at the most. Now you can compare.

My views and experience entirely. You are best judge.

Cheers
TC
So 1.25 is the upper limit. Can you find out if it is still on sale and pm me some of the details please?

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:44 am

nagarifle wrote:45k, its like buying a roller but no petrol to run it.
45K for a colt???!!! Are you absolutely sure about this. If you can find a good one at that price than I am more than happy to lap it up.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:25 am

If you are only interested in buying a Colt revolver,go ahead and buy it.However your response does beg the question ,"Did you read what people wrote in response to your query?"

I can get you a Colt revolver for 5-15,000/- ........if you can get a license for it.

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:13 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:If you are only interested in buying a Colt revolver,go ahead and buy it.However your response does beg the question ,"Did you read what people wrote in response to your query?"

I can get you a Colt revolver for 5-15,000/- ........if you can get a license for it.
To put it concisely. I do have the paperwork ready and .38 special is a very respectable cartridge delivering approx 190 - 240 Joules energy at muzzle.

It is a sad situation that in our country such poor and outdated loads like .32 S&W Long have overtaken in popularity but I am definitely not interested in that caliber.

I am also aware the the gun is a very desirable one but the Indian market behaves erratically. Hence the query to know what is the 'going rate'.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Bowman, the dealer died two years ago but before that he sold it to some dealer in Kanpur or UP at "wholesale price" i.e. at the price Winnie and Nagarifle are quoting for a .38 special. Frankly speaking, Rs 1.25 lakh is not the upper limit for a .38 special in India. The upper limit is the figure at which any dealer or licence holder will let it go and wash his hands off.
And, with all humility I beg to differ from your observation that the Indian market is very erratic. The Indian market had steadily adjusted itself to the real life scenario as far as guns and ammo are concerned. Those who have gathered knowledge about guns and observed the market over the years should not fall for googlies.

Cheers

TC

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:31 pm

BowMan

You are going to make one dealer very very very HAPPY.

You asked what you should pay for it and you got the answer.You seem to be willing to go ahead and pay the dealer the asking price anyways.I feel like I wasted my time answering your query.

The difference between some one with a .32S&W Long revolver and you with your .38Spl revolver is that while he has a revolver,you have a paper weight.A catapult would be more useful.

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:47 pm

Winnie - Thanks for Shareing the info mate. I really appreciate your inputs. The idea is to make the dealer and the customer both happy (win win) and so I am asking all these questions :wink:

TC - I can understand what you are saying. The .38 special is not in vogue here but its the caliber of my choice. As regards to my assertion that the Indian market is erratic, how else do you explain a .38 special for 45/65K, a .32 S&W Long for 4.5 L and a .22 LR for 10 L ???!!!

You must agree that the market has adjusted to conditions which are imposed to restrict the market and a market that is not free can never behave rationally. :D

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Bowman... I am yet to come across a gringo who will buy or sell a .22 pistol or revolver for 10 lakh... If you come across one please let me know.. want to make some money :lol:

My Colt should fetch at least 15 in that case :lol: :lol:

Regards

TC

PS: There is nothing wrong with the market bowman.. its just behaving in accordance with the theory of demand and supply that is taught in school :D
Last edited by TC on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:56 pm

TC,

Nice that you brought up the demand and supply theory. Let me remind you that it works in a perfect/competitive market viz. Infinite buyers and sellers, zero entry and exit barriers, perfect mobility....

Please enlighten me which of these factors are present in the Indian Arms Market.

Here we probably have something which resembles a Oligopoly.

As regards to the 10L price tag being true you will have to take my word for it just as I take yours. It is a Model 18 S&W nib with papers.

Anyways that is a rhetorical question which can be debated but my immediate concern is a good deal.

Thanks
BowMan