Target Practice - Sig Sauer 9mm

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Target Practice - Sig Sauer 9mm

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi Friends,

Wanted to share my first experience with a Sig Sauer 9mm, P226 X-Five

https://picasaweb.google.com/ckkalyan/T ... 7736421634

* Handgun: Sig Sauer P226 X-Five, 9mm Silver, Wood Grips, well cared for, excellent condition, well used
* Range1: 10 Mtr - 10 Rounds
* Range2: 25 Mtr – 15 Rounds
* Ammo: By Abu Dhabi's Burkan Munitions Systems 9mm Luger; Looked good, jacketed, served in a neat plastic tray of 25's
* Fire rate: Medium, five rounds per load
* Mood: Blow off some steam, have some fun with a few big bangs :wink: !
* Shooter Stance & Equipment: Casual Wear, Prescription Glasses Myopia (Minus 3), Ear Muffs, Standing, Two-Handed Grip, with loud distractions from the boom from magnums in adjacent lanes. Tried out the electric controls for setting target range and return for inspection - no hiccups there.
* Magazine Loading: Self, 5 Rounds at a time
* Total time spent at the range: 30 mins
* Total Cost: AED 130/- for 25 Rounds (Approx INR 1,690/-)
* Location: Sharjah Shooting Club (strictly no photography allowed - without time consuming Police Dept's permission)

* Impressions: Very sensitive trigger (almost hair trigger - took a bit of getting used to), manageable kick, smooth, easy slide operation (left hand); took a couple of milk runs on sighting, stance and grip (no dry firing). Then a few actual shots to absorb the weapon's weight, grip, trigger and kick. Discovered that I couldn't see the target so well at 25m (maybe time to get my eyesight checked again :( ). Still managed to shoot the target's gun hand. Heavenly aroma of gun-smoke!
Last edited by ckkalyan on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Target Practice - Sig Sauer 9mm

Post by Vikram » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:08 pm

Good shooting,Kalyan, given that it was your first experience. Quite a few people think that it is very easy to shoot at the distances with a handgun.Once they try they realise what reality is. Good going.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

boris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by boris » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:01 pm

the groups are impressive in the first photograph :cheers:
You haven't lived until you have been close to death,for those who fight life has a different flavor that the protected will never know.

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Really impressive Kalyan. Lucky you :-)

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Thank you gentlemen,

@ Boris / Prabhat- Thank you for your kind feedback, appreciate it! :D

@ Vikram - true, never tried a Sig before, I guess one needs to get used to each individual weapon as well; they seem to have their own peculiar traits. My dream is to become adept at snap shooting a la Bob Munden. Most amazing thing I have ever seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hujvVmuLuoM

Note he fires a single action Colt .45 revolver, fanning the hammer - and hits his balloon everytime :shock:

It is like, no stance, leveling the weapon - nothing; simply draw, point your finger from any position. Just shooting from the hip! I look forward to comments from pistol marksmen, IFG-Gurus, on this almost instinctive shooting technique, OR is it just the stuff of legend??
Last edited by ckkalyan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29 pm

ckkalyan,come on over we going to have a lot's fun with the toy's :cheers:

Baljit

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:53 pm

Congratulations, Sir! For the first time, shooting a new weapon, those groups are pretty good. The 10 m groups are excellent. Your 25 m groups are especially impressive considering the distance. With a little more exposure to the weapon and some practice, I'd be willing to bet that you could half the size of those groups. So what model SIG was it?

They are great weapons and once you get used to them, its like pointing your finger. I love my SIG. At self defense ranges, shooting becomes instinctive with practice. There are many times, during practical shooting matches, when I have no memory of using the front sight but the targets show consistent hits.

I too agree that Bob Munden is incredible. As far as his technique goes; just think of the years of practice daily that it took to get him to that level. He's also a hell of a good shot. There is a video of him on YouTube making a 200 yard shot with a short barreled revolver!

Unfortunately, the SIG P series pistols do not lend themselves to fanning the hammer like a Single Action revolver does as the trigger has to be reset after each shot. One thing to remember is that what Bob does to those revolvers is extremely hard on them and from what I have heard, he goes through a lot of them every year.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

farhan.lateefi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by farhan.lateefi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi ckkalyan ,

its a lovely range, i used to drive all the way from Abu Dhabi as the shooting range there was pretty expensive, i will be there in march hope to get together with you and have a blast

:cheers:
farhan
''The great object is, that every man be armed.... Every one who is able may have a gun."

Patrick Henry

boris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by boris » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:15 pm

thank you for appreciating my comments sir,but going by your groups in 25 m you would love shooting the "mozambique drill" amazing drill when it comes to 9mm pistols traid by SF and special police units worldwide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique_Drill
You haven't lived until you have been close to death,for those who fight life has a different flavor that the protected will never know.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:23 am

Hey Baljit - thanks - anticipating toys and BC style - gun funnin' :wink: :cheers:

@ farhan.lateefi - Ahlan Wa Sahlan, friend! Will be happy to accompany you to the club. Are you sure SHJ is expensive compared to Jebel Ali? Please check out http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic ... 31&t=10010 details of charges in the club in Sharjah Golf & Shooting Club

@ Boris - You mean you figured that I was sort of following the Mozambique Drill from my target sheet? Wow! Very perceptive my friend. I was aware of this stratagem, but did not know the name. Makes terrific sense though, disable/immobilize first shot, follow up / re-insure with instant second shot - both at wide target areas (read - not easy to miss); and then go for the carefully aimed, skilled/kill shot (difficult - head). Sort of similar to a 1-2-3 punch in boxing :wink: Thanks for that nice piece of information!

-- Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:30 am --
xl_target wrote:Congratulations, Sir! For the first time, shooting a new weapon, those groups are pretty good. The 10 m groups are excellent. Your 25 m groups are especially impressive considering the distance. With a little more exposure to the weapon and some practice, I'd be willing to bet that you could half the size of those groups. So what model SIG was it?

They are great weapons and once you get used to them, its like pointing your finger. I love my SIG. At self defense ranges, shooting becomes instinctive with practice. There are many times, during practical shooting matches, when I have no memory of using the front sight but the targets show consistent hits.

I too agree that Bob Munden is incredible. As far as his technique goes; just think of the years of practice daily that it took to get him to that level. He's also a hell of a good shot. There is a video of him on YouTube making a 200 yard shot with a short barreled revolver!

Unfortunately, the SIG P series pistols do not lend themselves to fanning the hammer like a Single Action revolver does as the trigger has to be reset after each shot. One thing to remember is that what Bob does to those revolvers is extremely hard on them and from what I have heard, he goes through a lot of them every year.
xl_target - thank you sir for the feedback all the way from Alaska - the land of the Kodiak! :D

As to the model of the SIG and the details of ammo used - I am ashamed to say that my sense of observation and curiosity were somewhat lost, in the heat of the moment - I shed about 30 odd years in the excitement! I did check out the SIG website, but could not identify from the images, confused - similar shapes; multiple calibers were available per model. However, it was a full-sized weapon and not a compact. I could call up the club and find out though. The SIG must surely be a great handgun from your experiences. I am glad to hear from a fellow point and shoot-er! :mrgreen:

I have avidly watched ALL available clips of Bob Munden on YouTube - and he does seem to use lots of of weapons mostly a variety of .45 Single Action Colts, once a Winchester Lever Action and a Snubby Revolver in the 200m shot, that you mentioned. Truly Awesome!

I have tried to emulate Bob Munden's feats with mixed results, with matched S&W .36, Co2, 10 shot air pistols, using both left and right hands - the draw speed is abysmal, rapid fire action not satisfactory, but accuracy not so bad at hip/snap-shot shooting at soft drink cans, empty pellet tins, larger coins and the like at 10-25 ft. Shorter the range and louder the satisfying 'splat' the better! :oops:

Thanks once again!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:30 am

xl_target - thank you sir for the feedback all the way from Alaska - the land of the Kodiak!
Kalyan sahib,
I actually live in Minnesota, the land of the giant, killer mosquito :).
When God gives you 10,000 lakes, he makes sure to also give you something that will breed in them.

I would love to visit Alaska but have not been had the opportunity yet.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

weapon247
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by weapon247 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:06 pm

@ckkalyan

just had a look at your targets very nice shooting indeed!! but try use the 25m precision target at 15 m as you have mastered it at 10m!!

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:16 pm

@ xl_target - Shukriya - my apologies! Now how did I make that mistake? Fairbanks, Alaska must have been on my mind from another IFG Avatar! :(

Never mind, I did refer to a very LARGE creature - looks like it somewhat matches the mosquitoes, from your description! :lol:
Plane-wise Mosquitoes and Dakotas have something in common - both fly and - bite?!

Seriously I have had my more than fair share of Mosquitoes in India and I am no great fan - I empathize with you. The 10K lakes must be truly lovely though - I envy you!

Thank you for the compliment weapon247, appreciate it! :D

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:14 pm

Updated information on model of handgun and ammo used:

* Handgun: Sig Sauer P226 X-Five, 9mm Silver, Wood Grips, well cared for, excellent condition, well used
* Ammo: By Abu Dhabi's Burkan Munitions Systems, 9mm Luger; Looked good, jacketed, served in a neat plastic tray of 25's

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:33 am

Updated information on model of handgun and ammo used:

* Ammo: By Abu Dhabi's Burkan Munitions Systems, 9mm Luger; Looked good, jacketed, served in a neat plastic tray of 25's
You were blessed, sir. I've fired many weapons including several models of SIG's but I have never had the chance to look over the sights of an X5. The X5 is no common or garden SIG. It is one of their "meant for competition" weapons and if I remember correctly, it comes from their custom shop. A little different from the standard SIG SAUER P series, it's a single action only handgun and the MSRP of a SIG P226 X5 is a whopping $2731!

It is a beautiful handgun.

image from the SIG-SAUER website: Click Here

Regardless, those groups were excellent for the first time with a new weapon.

Many guns designed for competition have light triggers. It is a good idea to always obey the four laws of gun safety. The 4th one specifically states: Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Your Sights Are On The Target. This will prevent you from accidentally firing the gun unless it is pointed downrange.

If you ever come to this part of the US, I will endeavor to let you fire my guns and the ammunition will be made made by XL_Target's munition systems :D