India’s lightest & cheapest revolver is meant for office-going men, women

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
spin_drift
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by spin_drift » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:44 am

Agra: Boosting the 'Make in India' initiative, Rifle Factory Ishapore has indigenously developed the country's lightest revolver, 'Nidar' which weighs a mere 250 gm, half the weight of an earlier model 'Nirbheek', which was exclusively designed for women. According to officials, the idea behind creating Nidar was to arm office-going professional men and women, so that they can defend themselves on city streets.

The premier Indian small arms manufacturer will launch the revolver on February 2. Any citizen with a valid arms licence can buy the .22 calibre revolver, which is priced at less than one-third of the .32 calibre Nirbheek, which costs around Rs 1.22 lakh.

"The .22 calibre Nidar is the lightest revolver ever made in India, with the cheapest price tag of Rs 35,000. It is capable of firing eight rounds loaded in a revolving chamber, compared to Nirbheek, which has a six-round capacity," said PK Aggarwal, officer-in-charge of Rifle Factory Ishapore. "Unlike the expensive titanium alloy used in Nirbheek, for Nidar we developed a totally new alloy of aluminium which is called 'DTD5124'. It is very light and has supreme metal strength," he added.

The weapon, said the factory's public relations officer SS Naskar, can be carried in a small purse, handbag or even trouser and jacket pockets. "Initially we wanted Nidar to be exclusively dedicated for women, but due to strenuous resistance from arms dealers against the 'women's firearm' tag which went with Nirbheek, we had to design the weapon for both men and women. Arms dealers claimed there were less takers for revolvers with a 'women's firearm' tag," he said. The revolver, said its makers, can fire with accuracy up to seven metres and has a barrel length of 40.3mm.

When TOI asked local office-going women for their opinion on the new lightweight revolver, they expressed interest and excitement. "I will definitely buy one, as I often face miscreants chasing my car. However, I will need training to fire the weapon," said Deeksha Singh, who works with a finance company at Sanjay Place.

"The price of the revolver is just a fraction of any other and it is easy to carry in a purse, according to the manufacturers. I will place an order for it soon," said Ayesha Sana, whose father owns a double-barrelled shotgun.
Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 811149.cms

check out the comments sections
I believe in second chances… it’s called reloading

For Advertising mail webmaster
chicky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: India’s lightest & cheapest revolver is meant for office-going men, women

Post by chicky » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:27 pm

This is wonderful news, now only if the geting of arms license was as easy. :D and it's only going to get tougher with the new Arms Act.
"One can never know how far he can go and reach, until he starts running "

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:08 pm

awaiting comments from people who have seen/will see this new revolver.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:44 pm

ah another one which comes in part once shaken.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:00 pm

Someone once said, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". I was looking for a catch in this rather hyperbolic press release, and then came the Eureka moment!

I quote: "Any citizen with a valid arms licence....". THAT'S the catch!!

I was wondering at the marketing wizards in government. It's like making a really cheap, really good (as per the press release) car, and saying that you need to be a F1 driver in order to own the car!!

I will not comment on the daughter of the owner of the double barrel shotgun, or the financial wizardess, lest it be construed as sexist. But someone needs to send them a copy of the proposed arms laws, soon.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Comments section is indeed fun, barely any presence of sense. This one guy summed up well the unfortunate reality to which a very respectful Indian responded by abusing his women as usual. This comment is now removed, i smell fish considering the comment section bias. Forget the gun, forget the govt, it's us, it's all on us. No where in this world can anyone come across such a clueless civilization ignorant even about itself, and still have the audacity to call itself civilized.

Btw, congrats to the rich powerful citizens who gets to own this gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:36 pm

I was expecting some news like this from some time.

Well, I dont know why Nirbhaya and Make in India has become a fancy word for the government. With more than a billion population and top 10 defense budgets we're still dependent on other countries for basic weapons and equipment for armed forces.

I would request owners of IOF .22 revolver can help us understand what new features are added in Nidar compared to IOF .22. Thanks.

Edited: The price of Nidar is Rs35000 plus taxes which will end up Rs 48000 change. And as the range of this gun is 7 meters (IOF .22 revolver has 20 meter range). 140 mm in length, 250 gms in weight. Waiting period is 3 months for both .22 revolvers.
Last edited by StampMaster on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:10 pm

Pardon my cynicism but IMHO it's just old wine in a new bottle/ brandname .

Considering that the boffins at IOF are unable to even produce 100+ year old designs with any quality, I doubt they would have hit a home run with this "new" product.

Not to forget,

Cost of production @ IOF = x
Sale price of IOF products to civilians = 10x (minimum)

Who was saying IOF does not have a mandate to make profits?

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

rajaiswal92
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rajaiswal92 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:00 pm

I like the snub nose design , looks like a colt detective special.

Ruari
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Ruari » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:03 am

It may or may not work well and it is costly, BUT, Indians do have the right to possess a gun for self defence, difficult though exercising that right may be.
Here in Australia it is an offence to possess anything for the purpose of self defence, anything; to carry a stick for the purpose of defence against a dog is unlawful.
Self Defence is not only a right, it is an Obligation.

indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:01 pm

The lunching of the new .22 revolver is perhaps the first step in the right direction and we should welcome it. The media should also highlight the right of a citizen as per law of self defence, so that they should know when to use the firearm and for what purpose. Secondly, adequate facilities be made available so that the new license holders can do target practice so that they can effectively use the firearm in an emergency situation.
We are all aware that there is powerful anti gun lobby, consisting of armchair academics and experts who refuses to see the ground reality.For criminals there is no shortage of firearms neither they have any problem of obtaining gun license or all India movement permit. It is all the problem of the law abiding citizen of this country.Let us hope the situation changes in the near future.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:00 pm

laws are not meant for the law abiding.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:29 am

Anyone whose seen this Nidar

abhi11
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by abhi11 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:46 pm

Regards
Abhi

" All In All We Are Just Another Brick In The Wall"

chotabheem
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by chotabheem » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:33 pm

Check out my review of Nidar .22 Revolver at youtube.