The Boutet Gun by Westley Richards

Posts related to shotguns.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

The Boutet Gun by Westley Richards

Post by Vikram » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Text and photos are from Westley Richards' Facebook page. I own no copyright to these photos.
The Boutet Gun was speculative gun built by Westley Richards Ltd in the 1980s. The gun is chambered in 12 bore and was originally commissioned by Walter Clode. The gun finishing was executed by the unknown Brown Brothers of the USA, 30 years on the brothers are regarded as one of the finest engravers and finishers the world has ever seen,. There is every type of engraving applied to this gun, flush gold, sculptured gold, carved steel and sculptured stirling silver. There are inlaid gemstones and the most exquisite wood carving executed on any gun or rifle ever produced. The engraving and finishing work took the brothers an entire year to complete, the work is perfect and not one single floor of blemish can be found anywhere on the gun. The gun still remains the Brown Brothers single most elaborate commission they have ever executed. The gun was a commission to be sold in the Middle Eastern market, the factory had asked the London high class retailers Asprey & Co to help with the sale of the gun, however the deal never finalised. The gun had cost an incredible sum of money to produce ( I do not have a figure ). The gun could not remain unsold for any length of time. By chance an English gentleman visited the factory and bought the gun on the spot, the gun went into his private collection with no photos being allowed, the gun was never seen again. Some years later the gentleman owner passed away and the company was given the chance to buy the gun back. The gun remains at the Westley Richards factory and is seldom ever shown, very few people have actually ever seen the gun in person. Please enjoy this incredible album.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: The Boutet Gun by Westley Richards

Post by Grumpy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:43 pm

Whilst I can admire many of the individual details the overall effect is of grotesque bling ! Ne plus ultra vulgarity.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:46 pm

The damn reply got chewed up by the mobile connection! :evil:

Suffice to say +1 on what Grumpy wrote and it's no surprise it was built keeping in mind the middle eastern market :-P wayy too much bling for most 'normal' folk...

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:04 pm

Got that one right! I am not surprised W-R does not prominently showcase it.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:26 pm

LOL @ I am not surprised W-R does not prominently showcase it

:mrgreen:

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:18 am

The gun remains at the Westley Richards factory and is seldom ever shown, very few people have actually ever seen the gun in person.
For good reason. ROTFL

Brilliant execution but offers little appeal to no-bling traditionalists.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:16 am

Before we go panning stuff like this:

http://www.theexplora.com/the-westley-r ... -brothers/
To Excellence through Diligence.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 am

Safarigent wrote:Before we go panning stuff like this:

http://www.theexplora.com/the-westley-r ... -brothers/
The point being? :-)

www.gunowners.in

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Why why why do they make such damn beauties, which hold our breath for so long that we can fall of the chair and make us feel such miserable earth walking poor creatures.

Its owners pride and ours to envy only

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:18 pm

> "Safarigent wrote:
Before we go panning stuff like this:

http://www.theexplora.com/the-westley-r ... -brothers/"<

That`s far too enigmatic for me .......

It`s been said many times that `less is more`. This, to most eyes, is an example of more being a whole lot less. Brilliant execution of individual techniques that add up to more garish bling than a tarts boudoir. `Grotesque` doesn`t begin to describe it - `Vulgar` certainly does.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:43 am

Knowing that darts, brickbats, and raspberries will come my way, I must say, I am impressed by this. I am reminded of such guns, as the original flintlock in the article that safari agent posted, when I look at this.

I've seen very ornate sorts of things in the Winchester Museum, such as wheel locks with silver chasing on the barrel and ivory inlays on the stock.

I'd have to say that this one is quite a work of art, and even though it is hardly a "gun," I'm sure its mechanism is nicely finished inside, where one cannot see it, as well.

Thanks for posting -- I enjoyed it.

(I will note, I seldom get accused of having any good taste. I just took a mighty beating from my coworkers this afternoon over liking Bollywood movies and Mexican telenovelas.)
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:34 am

An incredible piece of art, can hold its own in the company of an investment grade paining or sculpture. Was it to meant to be taken out after pheasant on a nice day with a fine dog, may be! there are many people in this world who make more money in one day than that gun will cost.

Taste, entirely a different matter but then it is relative.

Vikram/Grumpy - thanks for the post and link. Loved it.

Herb

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:45 am

Don`t blame me - this one is entirely down to Vikram !
This gun was never intended to be taken out after pheasant ..... not in the UK. Show up anywhere in the UK with this and you could expect to receive some very rude comments ! This was intended for someone in the middle-East - Saudi, Dubai .... around there somewhere - for whatever game they might have there.
( Terry Pratchett )

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:18 am

Yucky colouring but interestingly the figure in silver, holding a rabbit in one hand and drawing an arrow with the other reminds me of the Diana Logo.

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:36 pm

does this shoot bullets too ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL really what a piece of work... I wonder if people really shoot these or collect them. Looks like Westley Richards is leveling up their game...