Stray dog nuisance

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Stray dog nuisance

Post by drifter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:11 pm

Hi guys,

It has taken a couple of months for me to post this topic but today a friend was attacked by 2 stray dogs and I think it is high time there is awareness created. The city I live in is infested by stray dogs, how can the city get rid of this menace?. I am sure this is a problem faced by most cities in India.

1) Danger to humans - Dog bite, rabies, children mauled to death. (9000 dog bites in 9 months)
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/140930/n ... dogs-kovai

2) Increased cause of road traffic accidents
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyd ... 398380.ece

RTA are caused by stray dogs and lives are lost what is the point of talking only about alcohol.

3) Danger to the cat(Tigers & Panthers) population when they prey on stray dogs(cats lifting stray dogs).
http://www.wildlifevetsinternational.or ... g-disease/
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... e-animals/

4) Attacked to death by stray dogs.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 807730.ece
http://www.dawn.com/news/1185608

Shows that dogs have pack mentality and can attack for no reason. Children are not safe even 10 year olds. When a cat becomes a man eater the whole system works at their elimination why not the stray dogs?.

In the following link you will realise the attitude of the authorities towards the stray dog issues, while people find it difficult to register FIR for rape, robbery etc something trivial gets serious attention...
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 368917.cms

- In my locality there are nearly 25 stray dogs, a pack of 10 dogs attacked a 2 week old calf killed and ate half the carcass. Nobody in the neighborhood understands the danger and people still keep feeding the stray dogs.
- Sterilising and releasing the dogs in the same locality is the stupidest idea, currently this is what happens in my town and most other towns and is not effective.
- The PFA and Animals rights activist claim that stray dogs should be rehabilitated and have a right to live in society(but at what cost?).

Guys would be great to have your opinion on this matter. For the record I like dogs and have had many dogs till date. I have just attached a few links for easy reference. The need of the hour is quick and efficient results.

Regards,
Drifter.

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Stray dog nuisance

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:14 am

HI Drifter

i understand the problem to well, the solution lies with Ms. Monika Gandhi , she is a wonderful lady and loves dogs, wild dogs in partilure. why not ship em off to her?

if she is not able to help, make some nagas friends and invite them for self help lunch.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by drifter » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:16 pm

You are welcome to my town bring your friends along :D .

Are you sure that Maneka Gandhi is the sole reason for this nonsense? Is there any link to prove that she is the one behind it?. She has security guards protecting her at all times when on earth does she come in contact with stray dogs??? People in power have no clue of ground reality and what common man faces.

What about the PFA and ETA groups do they not have a hand in it as well?. Will filing a RTI help?.

Drifter.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:28 pm

yes she is a very caring lady when it comes to wild animals, my local paper aslo give here writings on how to take care of animals etc. she is very much a responsible lady who loves wild dogs. so please bag and tag them to her> that way she would not need many havely armed chaps hanging around. the wild dogs will scare away all here enameies ROTFL
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

ak4797
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ak4797 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:02 pm

Its true that Maneka Gandhi is the one to introduce this law, Well every time I read in news that someone is attacked by stray dogs this law comes to my mind.
My father told me a few years ago the health department used to poison all the stray dogs to keep their population in control but its stopped now due to laws, last month our neighbor cattle was attacked by dogs from "Hada Rori".
I think Maneka should leave his security personnel and come to our village "Hada Rori" or she should send someone to take care of her wild dogs.
Sorry for my bad angrezi I am little sleepy at this time.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi Drifter,
Whilst I too have great affinity to dogs (including strays) it is true that they are increasingly becoming a menace! I have been chased by a feral pack before and I can tell you man I must have broken Usain Bolts timing in the 40 meter dash I made for my life :lol:
On a more serious note I agree with Mr Nagarifle that these dogs should be transported and let loose near Maneka's house for her to understand the ground reality of how vicious they really can be!
With around 400 million dogs worldwide and counting, the CDV problem will continue to increase and take a toll on the wildcat population which is anyways on the decline :roll:

drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by drifter » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:18 am

Attaching a picture from the Hindu, spotted deer chased by pack of stay dogs.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

chicky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by chicky » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:04 am

I agree with Drifter, my son too was threatened by 4-5 stray dogs recently while he walked back home from work late at night.
There are people who actually come in cars to feed them every morning...maybe they think they are doing their bit as humans, but these are stray dogs and very unpredictable.
I feel the Government agencies should nuter them thereby reducing their aggression and numbers eventually.

Chicky
"One can never know how far he can go and reach, until he starts running "

SRI 420
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by SRI 420 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:26 pm

Only a person who has been chased by a stray dog or a pack of stray dogs in the dark of night, while walking or riding two wheeler can comprehend the danger involved. It is nice to talk about protecting or rights of strays by sitting in bunglows and travelling in closed vehicles. It is a shame how more importance is given to the stray dogs which attack and maul children. Some sort of solution should be worked out to weed out this nuisance :oops: :oops: :oops:

Srinivas
It is nice to be important: But it is more important to be Nice!

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:49 am

It is very difficult to weed out the stray dogs by any artificial means. Poisoning, neutering, etc. will not work, at least in the Indian scenario. Why?

1. Dogs are pack hunters. They can hunt and kill rats, bandicoots, cats, other smaller / young animals. It is the right of every carnivore to hunt, and we shouldn't grudge the dogs just as we do not grudge the tiger. Till the point they turn to humans.

2. Dogs (and other members of the family Canis) are also scavengers. They can digest even rotting food and dirty water. Any dog owner would know their dog's affinity for drinking out of the toilet bowl.

3. Dogs are probably the only species who domesticated themselves, coming up for scraps to the ancient cavemen. They have millenia of experience in dealing with humans. If they can't hunt or scavenge, they can always look wistfully at some kid who'll give them a biscuit out of kindness (never fails with kids - every kid wants a pet puppy). If the wistful look doesn't work, bared teeth and a little growling always does.

4. Being carnivores and predators, plus being blessed with an very high sense of smell, they can work out in a trice if you are scared of them. (all creatures release pheromones under emotion, even humans can sense them in some cases, dogs can sense them always). And as Gabbar Singh said, jo dar gaya, samjho mar gaya (if you are scared, you are dead). My Rottie, even though generally well-behaved, will always be more pushy with people who are scared of him, sniffing them very closely, looking at them steadily, and so on. My son was never scared of dogs, and I have seen him at age 2, play with very small stray puppies with their mother looking on undisturbed. He can calm a whole posse of angry strays just be being there and making funny noises.

5. Official rankings of intelligence of dog breeds puts the Border Collie at the top, followed by the German Shepherd, the Dobermann, and so on (my poor Rott comes in at no.9, and Afghan Hounds bring up the rear, proving that old saw about beauty and brains). The poor Border Collie, however, will be beaten hands down by any feral dog.

6. Dogs (like all wild animals) have an immense survival instinct and ne'er-say-die mentality. Long ago, I saw a stray at Patna station, who was paralysed hip down. He was permanently in the "sit" position, and would move by pushing his front paws out, then lifting his whole body up by the front legs, and swinging it forward.

7. We in India, do not have proper garbage disposal techniques. I have seen those black plastic bags kept on the roadside awaiting the municipality garbage truck, and in the meantime being torn apart by bunches of dogs. In this scenario, a few hundred, or even a few thousand people, feeding dogs don't make a huge difference (except locally). Municipal dumps are home to hordes of rats, dogs, pigs, etc. Dead animals are dumped in the streets or in empty ground. This is the situation in Mumbai, I can't think of what happens in smaller towns and villages. This habit of ours ensures a steady food supply for a lot of feral animals, and not only dogs.

So, what are we up against? A very very intelligent animal, who knows humans very well, and can survive in almost any situation. And we ourselves compound the situation by dumping edibles anywhere we please!!

So what can we do to stop the dog menace? Best would be shooting them, but unfortunately, our lack of RKBA precludes that! The best overall, long-term solution would be to clean up our act, deny them sources of food. Long term solution, yes, but look at the other benefits - less germs, hence less disease, less stink, better overall health, and so on.

Why don't I advocate poison or neutering? It cost me 14 K to get my dog neutered. Even assuming the vet took 100% profit, a neutering would cost about 7k. Multiply it by the number of dogs, and then see from which head of the budget the funds should be taken. Health, education, wildlife, defense? Poisoning will be cheaper, but will invariably result in lots of pet or commercial animals accidentally consuming them and dying. Collateral damage? Yes, but ask any civilian who lost his family to bombs in a "just" war.

And don't run. Running makes you prey. Even highly trained show quality dogs will like to chase if you run (training or the owner will stop them). It's an instinct bred and refined ever since the first carnivorous hunting animal, dinosaur or whatever, first set foot or fin on planet Earth. Don't scream. Yell at them. (there's a difference between yelling and screaming, it's in the attitude). Don't bribe with food - you'll be the dummy who falls for the first threat, and hence game for further blackmail. Wave a stick, a chair, your jacket, whatever. Pick up a stone and act as if you are throwing it. Don't throw it unless you are 100% sure of hitting. They know you'll take time to pick up another one. Stand tall. Make yourself larger, raise you arms, or whatever. And if you have a weapon, use it.

A disclaimer: I love dogs, including strays. I don't grudge them, or my other neighbours - the leopards, their right to exist. I don't go around feeding strays (feeding one 70 kg dog is a drain on my resources, anyway!). And yes, I have been bitten, twice by dogs, once by a monkey. And I do agree that once dogs, tigers, leopards, etc. go ballistic on humans, it's time for humans to go ballistic on them!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by drifter » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:49 pm

Sorry the image did not get posted, pasting the link here.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 483640.ece

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:25 am

essdee1972 wrote: 2. Dogs (and other members of the family Canis) are also scavengers. They can digest even rotting food and dirty water. Any dog owner would know their dog's affinity for drinking out of the toilet bowl.
The most disgusting attitude of a dog. I do not take care of my dogs, it is done by my daughters and they were the ones to bring these beasts home (great dane and a labrador).
But after seeing this dirty attitude, a lot of my time is spent on closing toilet doors and keeping their drinking water bowl filled up.

:deadhorse:

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:23 am

We love dogs around here. We don't have massive numbers of feral dogs, so that probably helps. We smoke Yotes like bad tires and fortunately wolves are not a huge problem. Otherwise we would smoke them as well. We leave them alone. And a person is more likely to bring a dog into his home than to kill one for certain.

One of my friends has one of the best dogs I ever ran into. He eats goose poop, and rolls around in goose poop, eats deer poop, deer entrails, eats bear poop, poops and eats his own poop, eats groundhogs, poops them and eats his own poop, rolls around in his sister's poop, and then poops and eats some mice.

Let me tell you. His poop is very nasty. I stepped into some once and I choose not to describe it :)

But he is a great dog. Very honorable, keeps the chickens corralled and will chase off a large Rooster that tries to attack me. Showing teeth like a monster, but he never killed a hen or rooster. But if we are out and there is any dangerous animal this dog would be on him so fast we would have time for well-aimed shots, even if we were sleeping! That's not the sort of thing that happens around here much but it is good to know you have a few good dogs around.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:54 pm

Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:We love dogs around here. We don't have massive numbers of feral dogs, so that probably helps. We smoke Yotes like bad tires and fortunately wolves are not a huge problem. Otherwise we would smoke them as well. We leave them alone. And a person is more likely to bring a dog into his home than to kill one for certain.

One of my friends has one of the best dogs I ever ran into. He eats goose poop, and rolls around in goose poop, eats deer poop, deer entrails, eats bear poop, poops and eats his own poop, eats groundhogs, poops them and eats his own poop, rolls around in his sister's poop, and then poops and eats some mice.

Let me tell you. His poop is very nasty. I stepped into some once and I choose not to describe it :)

But he is a great dog. Very honorable, keeps the chickens corralled and will chase off a large Rooster that tries to attack me. Showing teeth like a monster, but he never killed a hen or rooster. But if we are out and there is any dangerous animal this dog would be on him so fast we would have time for well-aimed shots, even if we were sleeping! That's not the sort of thing that happens around here much but it is good to know you have a few good dogs around.
I don't even want to know about this disgusting poopy dog.......

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:23 am

aadhaulya wrote:
Commonwealth_of_PA wrote:We love dogs around here. We don't have massive numbers of feral dogs, so that probably helps. We smoke Yotes like bad tires and fortunately wolves are not a huge problem. Otherwise we would smoke them as well. We leave them alone. And a person is more likely to bring a dog into his home than to kill one for certain.

I don't even want to know about this disgusting poopy dog.......
I prefer the term "special friendly fecal relationship challenged dog." :)